VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Strange Video Crash on Install- VL5.9.1 SOHO  (Read 1397 times)

raymac46

Strange Video Crash on Install- VL5.9.1 SOHO
« on: November 13, 2008, 11:15:56 am »

I've D/Ld and installed VL 5.9 Standard many times without problems. Even installed  VL5.9 Light recently.
However I decided to actually buy and test VL5.9.1 SOHO. After a download, md5sum check and ISO burn I went through the installation of files no problem. However when I got to the Xserver configuration, put in color depth 16 and resolution 1024X768,  the video crashed and I got a black screen. No alt-ctrl-F1 would help. I was not able to set up root passwords or add users.
After a reboot I got the config screens back and tried video again. Again I got a crash. Rebooted again and suddenly everything was fine except  no root or user password. I added these through VASM. Also I seem to be able to configure the video through VASM once I am in the VL GUI. Go figure.
It's very odd to get this sort of bug from the usually stable and reliable VL install, especially when I actually paid for the software. Should I download again? Everything seemed to check out OK with the download.
My test machine is a Dell GX270 and the video is an Intel 865G internal graphics solution.

bigpaws

• Vectorian
Re: Strange Video Crash on Install- VL5.9.1 SOHO
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 11:33:59 am »

My test machine is a Dell GX270 and the video is an Intel 865G internal graphics solution.

This has been a problem I believe from xorg.

When installing use the Vesa driver and then you should be able to get
everything going. After the install I believe you can then use the 865G
xorg driver.

Bigpaws

raymac46

Re: Strange Video Crash on Install- VL5.9.1 SOHO
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 11:39:50 am »

Thanks. This is exactly what I was going to try but after a couple of reboots everything ended up working fine with Xorg. If I install on another machine I'll try the XVesa option.