VectorLinux
April 24, 2014, 02:35:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Strange Video Crash on Install- VL5.9.1 SOHO  (Read 1224 times)
raymac46

« on: November 13, 2008, 11:15:56 am »

I've D/Ld and installed VL 5.9 Standard many times without problems. Even installed  VL5.9 Light recently.
However I decided to actually buy and test VL5.9.1 SOHO. After a download, md5sum check and ISO burn I went through the installation of files no problem. However when I got to the Xserver configuration, put in color depth 16 and resolution 1024X768,  the video crashed and I got a black screen. No alt-ctrl-F1 would help. I was not able to set up root passwords or add users.
After a reboot I got the config screens back and tried video again. Again I got a crash. Rebooted again and suddenly everything was fine except  no root or user password. I added these through VASM. Also I seem to be able to configure the video through VASM once I am in the VL GUI. Go figure.
It's very odd to get this sort of bug from the usually stable and reliable VL install, especially when I actually paid for the software. Should I download again? Everything seemed to check out OK with the download.
My test machine is a Dell GX270 and the video is an Intel 865G internal graphics solution.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 11:33:59 am »

My test machine is a Dell GX270 and the video is an Intel 865G internal graphics solution.

This has been a problem I believe from xorg.

When installing use the Vesa driver and then you should be able to get
everything going. After the install I believe you can then use the 865G
xorg driver.

Bigpaws
raymac46

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 11:39:50 am »

Thanks. This is exactly what I was going to try but after a couple of reboots everything ended up working fine with Xorg. If I install on another machine I'll try the XVesa option.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: