VectorLinux
November 28, 2014, 09:54:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Backup a custom kernel installation...  (Read 26751 times)
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #105 on: November 10, 2008, 05:44:22 pm »

Overall, I'd say lilo was installed correctly.  I don't know why there are two kernels.  If one doesn't work then reboot and try the other; hopefully one of them works for you.
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #106 on: November 10, 2008, 06:38:26 pm »

Overall, I'd say lilo was installed correctly.  I don't know why there are two kernels.  If one doesn't work then reboot and try the other; hopefully one of them works for you.
Thanks man, yes, Lilo is up again....'lilo -v -P ignore' did the trick... Wink
OK, now I go back to the actual issues...If you still have the nerves, please confirm what I want to do next:
1) Still running VL-Light, I get my VL5.9-std-GOLD CD and copy it's content to a directory of </tmp/test>.
2) Get 'VL5.9-STD-Gold-262219.iso' from my USB flash memory stick and copy it to the directory of </tmp/test>.
3) In the Command Shell issue this 'overwhelming command line:
'mkisofs -o /tmp/test/vl59std_262219.iso -R -D -v -V VL_59A -A VL_59A -J -D -no-emul-boot -boot-info-table -boot-load-size 4 -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/isolinux.boot /tmp/test'.

EDIT:
BTW both kernels worked! I commented one with # at the beginning orf each line!

EDIT-2:
Strange enough, but although the lilo menu offers a selection of the three installed OSs -Win, Puppy and VL,
only VL is bootable. For Win  I get the message "this is not a bootable disk" and for Puppy I get "Kernel Panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown block(3,5)"
I didn't have this situation before! Huh

« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 09:34:39 pm by Cariboo » Logged

Life is full of setbacks; Success is measured by the way you deal with them!
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #107 on: November 10, 2008, 09:38:26 pm »

1) correct
2) mount your usb flash drive; then mount 'VL5.9-STD-Gold-262219.iso' from my USB flash memory stick (e.g. mount -o loop /path/to/iso/on/usb/stick.iso /mnt/media); and then copy the mounted kernel to the cd contents you dumped to /tmp/test (e.g. cp /mnt/media/isolinux/kernel/sata /tmp/test/isolinux/kernel/sata) which should overwrite the exisiting kernel.  The name 'sata' is just the given name, the newly copied kernel (262219) actually does not support sata or scsi.
3) correct

I'm hoping that the new VL6 will better support your system out of the box.  It might be worth your while to join in the testing phase when the first beta comes out as the devs might be able to figure something out that will make your system work better out-of-the-box.  Regardless, that's down the road and this is now, so back to the task at hand... Grin

BTW, I'm glad to hear that VL 5.9 Light Beta4 works for you. I wonder if the final Light release would have solved the lilo issues you had during installation???  Maybe for another day Cheesy

Edit:
Regarding Edit-2: It's possible that the boot data was not copied correctly from your puppy installation to the /boot/tamu directory.  It's also possible that the '-P ignore' option causes booting problems for Win and Puppy.  What's the output from 'fdisk -l'?
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 09:42:12 pm by newtor » Logged
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #108 on: November 10, 2008, 10:48:44 pm »

Regarding Edit-2: .............  What's the output from 'fdisk -l'?
Here it is......(see image06)

Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #109 on: November 10, 2008, 11:18:05 pm »

2) mount your usb flash drive; then mount 'VL5.9-STD-Gold-262219.iso' from my USB flash memory stick (e.g. mount -o loop /path/to/iso/on/usb/stick.iso /mnt/media);

If I get it right,
"mount -o loop /path/to/iso/on/usb/stick.iso /mnt/media" would in my case stand for 
"mount -o loop /mnt/vl-hot/sdb/vol1/VL5.9-STD-Gold-262219.iso /mnt/media"

and then copy the mounted kernel to the cd contents you dumped to /tmp/test (e.g. cp /mnt/media/isolinux/kernel/sata /tmp/test/isolinux/kernel/sata) which should overwrite the exisiting kernel........

If I get this right too,
"cp /mnt/media/isolinux/kernel/sata /tmp/test/isolinux/kernel/sata" is the command line for my case then...

Please confirm..... Wink

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #110 on: November 10, 2008, 11:40:48 pm »

Yes, you are correct in both cases.  I'm basing the mount point (/mnt/media) off of VL 5.9 Std so you should confirm you have this same directory, or you can create it as root.

Add the -i switch to the copy command (e.g. cp -i /mnt/media/isolinux/kernel/sata /tmp/test/isolinux/kernel/sata) so it will prompt you to make sure you want to overwrite the existing one.
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #111 on: November 11, 2008, 04:27:31 am »

I issued both commands...no error message in the console...
How can I proof it worked?
Shouldn't be  /mnt/media/isolinux = /tmp/test/isolinux?
 Huh

I checked so far:
"Properties" /mnt/media/isolinux = 5.1 MB (5314762 Bytes)
"Properties" /tmp/test/isolinux = 11.5 MB (12064599 Bytes)
or
"Properties" /mnt/media/isolinux/kernel/sata = 3.1 MB (3200792 Bytes)
"Properties" /tmp/test/isolinux/kernel/sata = 4.0 MB (4158168 Bytes)

How serious are the discrepancies to take?

EDIT: 
Sorry for bothering! When asked for "overwrite" I had to answer "yes", but I only hit ENTER!
Now /mnt/media/isolinux and /tmp/test/isolinux still differ but
"Properties" /tmp/test/isolinux/kernel/sata = 3.1 MB (3200792 Bytes)
which is what we want, right?

And now comes this, right?:
'mkisofs -o /tmp/test/vl59std_262219.iso -R -D -v -V VL_59A -A VL_59A -J -D -no-emul-boot -boot-info-table -boot-load-size 4 -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/isolinux.boot /tmp/test'

« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 05:35:31 am by Cariboo » Logged

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #112 on: November 11, 2008, 09:29:29 am »

EDIT: 
Sorry for bothering! When asked for "overwrite" I had to answer "yes", but I only hit ENTER!
Now /mnt/media/isolinux and /tmp/test/isolinux still differ but
"Properties" /tmp/test/isolinux/kernel/sata = 3.1 MB (3200792 Bytes)
which is what we want, right?

And now comes this, right?:
'mkisofs -o /tmp/test/vl59std_262219.iso -R -D -v -V VL_59A -A VL_59A -J -D -no-emul-boot -boot-info-table -boot-load-size 4 -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/isolinux.boot /tmp/test'

The differing between /mnt/media/isolinux and /tmp/test/isolinux is normal since the test iso was seriously "lightened" (i.e. stripped) to make downloading easier.  The kernel size, 3.1 MB, looks correct.  I think you can safely move on to the next step.  I've found that I have to be within the root directory of the ISO-directories for the command to work properly, which in your case would be /tmp/test/.
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #113 on: November 11, 2008, 11:02:30 am »

Yes, I got a new "vl59std_262219.iso". Size: (681.1 MB (714156032 Bytes)).  Smiley
(see image07 and -08)
Before burning the image and to know everything is OK, do I have to create a md5sum or how does this work?

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #114 on: November 11, 2008, 11:12:57 am »

I notice that you're final ISO size it slightly larger than what I created. My ISO size came to ~678 MB (711389184 bytes).  In fact, the difference between yours and mine is about the size of the new kernel.  Please check your /tmp/test/isolinux/kernel directory and make sure you only see two files; a text file and the 'sata' file.  Also check that the 'sata' file is 3200792 bytes (~3.1 mb).  If all of this checks out, then try burning your new ISO (cdrw maybe?) and give it a whirl.

Again, my expectations are that the install process should complete successfully but that the actual boot-from-hdd will likely give the iscsi error.  This is the next obstacle to deal with if it pops up.
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #115 on: November 11, 2008, 11:33:38 am »

Yes, I got only two files (no hidden files) in "/tmp/test/isolinux/kernel"!
Yes, Properties of sata file are "3200792 bytes (~3.1 mb)"
It's burning.... Grin
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 11:42:16 am by Cariboo » Logged

Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #116 on: November 11, 2008, 02:07:54 pm »

EUREKA, we passed the first hurdle..... Smiley
No stall at "Loading iSCSI transport class v2.0-724" when booting a "VL5.9-std-GOLD-262219" CD from a "Power OFF/ON" condition of a Dell Inspiron 2500 Laptop.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 05:40:17 pm by Cariboo » Logged

Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2008, 03:00:02 pm »

VL5.9-std-GOLD-262219 HDD installation went without error messages but...
Stall at "Loading iSCSI transport class v2.0-724"
when booting a "VL5.9-std-GOLD-262219" Hard Drive installation on a Dell Inspiron 2500 Laptop from a "Power OFF/ON" condition.
 Cry

EDIT01:
Something went wrong.  Shocked
Command in console 'uname -r' prompts me 2.6.22.14 instead of .19
I'm working on it and let you know when the new kernel shows up here!

EDIT02:
During installation I'm asked to enter boot parameters...I ignored that so far.
Do I have to? If Yes which?

Edit03:
I don't understand what happens.
The new CD says it brings VL kernel 2.6.22.19 (see BootFrom...) and the reboot after installation says Linux Version 2.6.22.14 (see Reboot After...)
 Huh
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 07:28:00 pm by Cariboo » Logged

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #118 on: November 11, 2008, 08:23:46 pm »

What you are experiencing is what I've expected, and what I've suggested will happen.

The only difference between the original and new ISO will be a new boot kernel, which will hopefully allow you to perform a full install of VL 5.9 Standard Gold from the CD.  BUT, this is still possibly (probably) only the first step to creating an installable CD that works out-of-the-box for you.  This step simply provides a bootable kernel that (hopefully) your system can work with to install VL.  The next step, if needed, would be to provide this same kernel to the actual _installed_ system - I have not been successful in my attempts at this so far.  Regardless, I think this first step is a useful one because it *should* allow you to perform a full installation, and you never know - perhaps the system will behave better to the old kernel once it's installed than on the cd.

To sum up, the new ISO you'll be creating will have a new installer kernel to allow you to perform a complete install of VL 5.9 Standard.  The actual kernel that gets installed will be the original 2.6.22.14 - no modifications.  My expectation is that you'll be able to fully install VL 5.9 Standard, but will run into problems/stalling when attempting to boot from the hard drive once it's installed.  I'm _hoping_ that somehow your system is only balking at the CDs bootable kernel, and will work correctly with the installed kernel; but I realize this is likely a futile hope.  If you have booting problems then the next step will be to somehow provide the new kernel to the installed system during installation.

I look forward to hearing how it goes - my fingers are crossed  Grin

Again, my expectations are that the install process should complete successfully but that the actual boot-from-hdd will likely give the iscsi error.  This is the next obstacle to deal with if it pops up.

You can boot your installed system from the CD (boot from cd and enter 'linux root=/dev/hda6 ro' at the boot: prompt - make sure device/partition is correct) which will boot your system using the modified 2.6.22.19 kernel from the CD.  I read posts indicating that some applications like alsa and ndiswrapper are largely kernel-specific, which would mean those things may not work as expected with a kernel update.  BTW, were you able to get your system to boot successfully with the older kernel?  The next step is where we should figure out what will work best for you.  I feel like an entire kernel package/modules/src would be best; a full installable package like uelsk8s has created in the past.  That way you could install the package, get the binaries, modules, and source installed all at once with lilo modifications as well.  Packaging full kernel and module compilation for a vanilla VL install is something I've never done so would be experimental for me.

I'm sure you could copy the kernel from the CD to the installed system, adjust your lilo.conf file to include the new kernel as a boot option, rewrite lilo, and see if the system will boot correctly.  This is probably where I would start since it's should be fairly easy to do.  Give this a shot and see if it works out.
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #119 on: November 12, 2008, 09:01:58 am »

You can boot your installed system from the CD (boot from cd and enter 'linux root=/dev/hda6 ro' at the boot: prompt - make sure device/partition is correct) which will boot your system using the modified 2.6.22.19 kernel from the CD. 
I can boot and kernel 2.6.22.19 is indicated, but X server does not start.
I get Error:
(EE) GARTinit: unable to open /dev/agpgart (No such file  or directory)
(EE) intel(0) : .........
(EE) Screen(s):...No screens...
 Fatal...

Another install:
I had to choose Xvesa during install and I tried, when the system was running, to use --->VasmCC --->VideoConfig.  to get Xorg running but "autoconfig must have stumbled somewhere".
Kernel 2.6.22.19 is running when booting from CD, Xorg is not. New challenge!
Now I believe this idea comes to effect!
I feel like an entire kernel package/modules/src would be best; a full installable package like uelsk8s has created in the past.  That way you could install the package, get the binaries, modules, and source installed all at once with lilo modifications as well.
I feel lost and I think that the whole issue is beyond my capabilities!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11
  Print  

Jump to: