VectorLinux
April 23, 2014, 07:46:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Backup a custom kernel installation...  (Read 23833 times)
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2008, 02:17:38 pm »

is there somewhere you can post your livecd(with the gl kernel) so I can try and figure it out?
What do you mean...the *.ISO file or all files of the burned DVD?
What is the "gl kernel"?

Life is full of setbacks; Success is measured by the way you deal with them!
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2008, 02:27:01 pm »

I meant the VL kernel, damn typo's Smiley

the .iso file

Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #77 on: November 02, 2008, 05:07:49 pm »

If you need  a place to upload your .ISO file to (so Uels' can test), give me a PM and I will set you up a place, temporarily, so that you can upload the *.ISO file that you are using to burn onto CD / DVD.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 05:14:43 pm by Masta » Logged
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #78 on: November 02, 2008, 06:18:34 pm »

OK, guys...
HERE is a site I could upload to.....
But, as the .iso file is 764.7 MB big, it will take about 72 hours on my dial-up connection!
Is there any other way?
Would it be enough to have some specific files only?
 Cry

Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #79 on: November 04, 2008, 11:19:02 am »

I meant the VL kernel, damn typo's Smiley
I just uploaded the kernel to Page 2 HERE

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #80 on: November 04, 2008, 11:53:43 am »

Cariboo,

I hate to say this, cause it seemed obvious to me, but that kernel is in the VL repo isnt it?

We would need to have the whole ISO to be of any good testing.
now that you have a VL kernel that works for you I will try and get the module built for your modem.

Uelsk8s
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #81 on: November 04, 2008, 12:50:34 pm »

Cariboo,
I hate to say this, cause it seemed obvious to me, but that kernel is in the VL repo isn't it?
Uelsk8s

Uelsk8s

Sure, it is the one you told me to get earlier.
I also got the Puppy kernel (which I now uploaded too). Both work concerning the creation of the LiveCD.
But both have difficulties to boot as I showed earlier with the screen photos.

Cariboo

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #82 on: November 04, 2008, 11:02:38 pm »

Just to test the idea I've used the kernel you/cariboo posted on PAGE 2 and replaced the bootable ('sata') kernel on the VL5.9Standard ISO.  Then I've ripped out all data leaving only the initial ram disk, kernel, and boot process that gets you to the ncurses installer.  This makes a nice testable and bootable ISO of about 6mb.  Since your primary problem is simply booting to the installer I figure if you can boot this test ISO successfully then the next step would be to hack the iso a bit more and include this kernel within the vlconfig.tlz package on the original ISO and a lilo entry to boot it.  Regardless, I think this could prove to be a useful test ISO for different kernels.  At least it could provide a testing ground to find a kernel that WILL work, and then hack the original ISO to include the necessary kernel for your system.

Give it a shot. Since it's only 6mb a rewritable might be useful so you don't waste a cdr for 6mb.  Then again cdrw's have their own issues Roll Eyes

(mediafire has ad pop ups... sorry was the easiest file hosting I could think of ATM)
download: http://www.mediafire.com/?ogvjyoybyxm

If you are able to boot to the installer then the next step would be to try a full modified ISO to actually test the installation.  This test ISO cannot perform any kind of installation at this point; just try to get to the installer and, if you make it, then exit the installer.  If you cannot reach the installer then another kernel should be tried.  I thought in one of your past posts you mentioned a VL kernel that HAS worked - perhaps one that you compiled/configured yourself without scsi/sata???

EDIT:
I thought in one of your past posts you mentioned a VL kernel that HAS worked - perhaps one that you compiled/configured yourself without scsi/sata???
found it: http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=6001.msg43315#msg43315
What happened with the kernel you compiled here?  Did this kernel also work with your agere modem you were having troubles with?
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 11:23:44 pm by newtor » Logged
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #83 on: November 05, 2008, 11:38:30 am »

Give it a shot. Since it's only 6mb a rewritable might be useful so you don't waste a cdr for 6mb.  Then again cdrw's have their own issues Roll Eyes
(mediafire has ad pop ups... sorry was the easiest file hosting I could think of ATM)
download: http://www.mediafire.com/?ogvjyoybyxm

It doesn't boot. Hangs at line: Detecting Adaptec 120 RIAD controllers...(see Attachment)

EDIT:
I thought in one of your past posts you mentioned a VL kernel that HAS worked - perhaps one that you compiled/configured yourself without scsi/sata???
found it: http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=6001.msg43315#msg43315
What happened with the kernel you compiled here?  Did this kernel also work with your agere modem you were having troubles with?

Cry  I cannot explain why, but somehow  I lost this whole thing....too confused with the issue... Cry

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #84 on: November 05, 2008, 11:56:21 am »

Alright, I've swapped the booting kernel for the puppy kernel you posted.  It works, but differently.  It boots, then says something like 'uncomressing linux.... booting the kernel' and sits there for about 30 seconds, AND THEN it gets to the installer.  I guess you could say that it works.... just differently.  Give it a whirl and see if you have any better luck with this test ISO.

link: http://www.mediafire.com/?bugrmm1phmr
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #85 on: November 05, 2008, 04:59:34 pm »

Alright, I've swapped the booting kernel for the puppy kernel you posted.  It works, but differently.  It boots, then says something like 'uncomressing linux.... booting the kernel' and sits there for about 30 seconds, AND THEN it gets to the installer.  I guess you could say that it works.... just differently.  Give it a whirl and see if you have any better luck with this test ISO.
link: http://www.mediafire.com/?bugrmm1phmr
Here we are...that's as far as I can get with the VectorPuppyTest kernel (see attachments)

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #86 on: November 05, 2008, 05:45:47 pm »

Well that's good news, right?  You've always been stopped prior to that, correct?  That's as much data as the test ISO actually has so the fact that you can't progress any further is to be expected.

I decided to try building the kernel that uelsk8s had you build (2.6.22.19) without the SATA and SCSI support (i.e. the kernel that he provided such wonderful screenshots for).  It sounded like when you followed his direction you were able to get it build and it worked with your hardware.  I've created one last test ISO with this newly built kernel in hopes that it works.  If it does I'd like to try the next step using it rather than the puppy kernel since it's more VL-specific/compatible.  Hopefully this one will get you as far as the puppy one did.

Test VL STD ISO 2.6.22.19 (no SATA/SCSI support): http://www.mediafire.com/?ifc1gv6zwpu

Since there is at least one working kernel, the next step will be to hack the original STD ISO and add in this modified kernel.
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #87 on: November 05, 2008, 06:49:54 pm »

In between...
I thank you for your patience  Wink
 Roll Eyes and I admire your persistence and perseverance...
Cariboo

I'll keep you posted about the outcome with testGold262219....

EDIT:

OKAY, Gold262219 success..
I came to the same boot level as the screens show (already posted) above...."Error at install".
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 07:49:44 pm by Cariboo » Logged

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #88 on: November 06, 2008, 06:15:10 pm »

That's good news!!

IIRC, you are on dial-up and a full ISO would be heavy to download.  Do you already have an official VL ISO downloaded?  If so, which version and variant (5.8, 5.9, or 5.9.1 and light, standard, or soho)?  If not, then do you have an already-burned official VL CD?  If so, which version/variant?  I'm thinking along the lines of creating a delta that you can use to patch one of the versions you already have to save you a full ISO download, especially considering the fact that it may still not perform properly on your system.
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #89 on: November 06, 2008, 11:56:28 pm »

That's good news!!
IIRC, you are on dial-up and a full ISO would be heavy to download.  Do you already have an official VL ISO downloaded?

Yes. I attached the README file which I found at the burned image.

If so, which version and variant (5.8, 5.9, or 5.9.1 and light, standard, or soho)?
VL 5.9-standard. I think it is Kernel 2.6.22.14 in the original download.
After burning the ISO file the size of the LiveCD is 675.6 MB. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 12:18:05 am by Cariboo » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11
  Print  

Jump to: