VectorLinux
August 01, 2014, 03:58:36 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Backup a custom kernel installation...  (Read 24724 times)
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #120 on: November 12, 2008, 09:19:45 am »

I feel lost and I think that the whole issue is beyond my capabilities!

This is definately not beyond your capabilities.
you have built a custom kernel.
the easiest way to proceed IMO, would be to make a package that had your custom kernel+modules+source,
and then add it to the packages/required folder in the custom iso you just made with newtor.
that way it would be installed to the new system.
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #121 on: November 12, 2008, 09:50:05 am »

the easiest way to proceed IMO, would be to make a package that had your custom kernel+modules+source,
and then add it to the packages/required folder in the custom iso you just made with newtor.
that way it would be installed to the new system.
OK!
1) I think, the custom kernel is on the new CD I've burned under --->isolinux --->kernel named "sata"?
2) I found, also on the CD, under --->veclinux --->optional --->kernel-scr.tlz would this be "source"?
3) I can't find modules?
I certainly would need your help to "... make a package"  Lips sealed

Life is full of setbacks; Success is measured by the way you deal with them!
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #122 on: November 12, 2008, 11:01:10 am »

uel, from the final compilation step in your post here: http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=6001.msg43053#msg43053
(i.e. after saving run "make && make modules_install")

How does someone build the necessary package? Will checkinstall work, or would a higher-grade package be needed?  Any general steps you can provide in this regard would be appreciated.  I still have the compiled source so (I think) I could create a package fairly easy, if only I knew the best way Grin
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #123 on: November 12, 2008, 12:11:25 pm »

best way to make a package for this kernel+module+source would be to copy them from the system after the "make && make modules_install" step.

Code:
mkdir -p PKG/usr/src
cp -ax /usr/src/linux-2.6.22.19 PKG/usr/src
mkdir -p PKG/lib/modules
cp -ax /lib/modules/2.6.22.19 PKG/lib/modules
mkdir -p PKG/boot
cp -ax /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.19 PKG/boot
cd PKG
makepkg ../kernel-all-2.6.22.19-i686-1vl59.tlz
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #124 on: November 12, 2008, 06:25:19 pm »

best way to make a package for this kernel+module+source would be to copy them from the system after the "make && make modules_install" step.
Code:
mkdir -p PKG/usr/src
cp -ax /usr/src/linux-2.6.22.19 PKG/usr/src
mkdir -p PKG/lib/modules
cp -ax /lib/modules/2.6.22.19 PKG/lib/modules
mkdir -p PKG/boot
cp -ax /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.19 PKG/boot
cd PKG
makepkg ../kernel-all-2.6.22.19-i686-1vl59.tlz

I suppose this is not meant for me to try...I don't have what is needed, do I ?

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #125 on: November 13, 2008, 09:50:53 am »

Thanks uel!!  We couldn't have received clearer instructions Grin, and the process went as expected.  Cheers!!

Cariboo, If you still have the kernel source that you once downloaded and compiled, plus a little extra space on your hard drive, then you should have everything you need to try.  It would be as simple as following uelsk8s directions on compiling the kernel source without sata/scsi support, and then following his directions on creating a proper package from the kernel source/modules/binaries.  I've created a package but have not tested it yet.  Once I can test it, and it determine that it works, then I'll put it on mediafire - unless you're planning on creating the package yourself.

The last step, which I havn't yet tried, is adding the package to the package list on the cd.  I'm a bit concerned it will overrun the length of a 700mb cd.  If it does, that then perhaps dropping the Acrobat Reader package might regain the needed space???
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 10:08:43 am by newtor » Logged
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #126 on: November 13, 2008, 11:02:08 pm »

Cariboo, If you still have the kernel source that you once downloaded and compiled, plus a little extra space on your hard drive, then you should have everything you need to try............. I've created a package but have not tested it yet.  Once I can test it, and it determine that it works, then I'll put it on mediafire - unless you're planning on creating the package yourself.

If I understand you right you are recommending to go through THIS procedure one more time.
I feel if I do it again it may lead to the same results as before.
Let me summarize what happened so far;
1) I opened THIS thread because of booting problem: "Loading iSCSI transport class v2.0-724".
2) With the outstanding support from uelsk8s a recompilation of kernel 262219 solved this issue.
3) To be sure I have a working backup for this computer I wanted to build a remastered CD and therefor I opened the THREAD we are working on right now.
4) First problem here was that "vlmklive" didn't produce an *.iso file at all.
5) Again, through uelsk8s awesome intervention this was finally solved to the point where an *iso file and md5sum was built.
6) All efforts ended in the original problem that I still have the boot problem either "Loading iSCSI transport class v2.0-724" or "Loading Adaptec 120RAID: Version 2.4 Build 5g0 Detecting Adaptec 120 RAID controllers..." no matter what kernel I use. Right now the LinuxLoader is messed up too.

The last step, which I haven't yet tried, is adding the package to the package list on the cd.  I'm a bit concerned it will overrun the length of a 700mb cd.  If it does, that then perhaps dropping the Acrobat Reader package might regain the needed space???

I hate to confess but I would rather wait until you would put the whole on mediafire  Roll Eyes
What ever you would drop I could install later.
I'll go to a friend with broadband internet for faster download.

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #127 on: November 15, 2008, 08:58:03 am »

Cariboo, I've added the new kernel package to the ISO and tested it.  The install process uses the 2.6.22.19 no scsi/sata kernel, and the new kernel/modules/src gets installed to the system as well (thanks for the tip uel!!).  A lilo entry is automatically created during install of lilo so that should be taken care of as well.  I _think_ this should work correctly this time; install AND boot.  It worked fine for me in testing.  To make space for the new package I had to remove a couple packages; frozen-bubble, and the old kernel source.  Since the new kernel source gets installed I figured you wouldn't need the old kernel source.  Try downloading from the following link (~700mb):
http://www.adrive.com/public/5afff2669ad5c4a26ea859498b0e0b9b3088f01134b0ed9109c147ef3d2069c5.html

Good luck and I hope all goes well.
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #128 on: November 15, 2008, 10:13:40 pm »

newtor
I don't know how to thank you for doing that for me......

I have to leave it for a couple of days because some family issues need my full attention!
Talk to you later..Thanks for now!

Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #129 on: November 16, 2008, 08:17:22 pm »

....Try downloading from the following link (~700mb):
http://www.adrive.com/public/5afff2669ad5c4a26ea859498b0e0b9b3088f01134b0ed9109c147ef3d2069c5.html
Good luck and I hope all goes well.
Sorry, but I have some trouble with this link.
As the broadband connection at my friend's is not very stable the download gets interrupted often and we always loose what ever is already downloaded. We have to start all over again.
Is is possible to get a torrent for that?
I think that way the download would continue roughly where it was interrupted.
 Roll Eyes

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #130 on: November 17, 2008, 10:58:04 am »

After further investigation it looks like adrive might not have been the best place to distribute such a large file.  As you've probably discovered, it's not a resumable transfer unless your a $$premium$$ member.  I guess it's very much a YMMV transfer.  Oh well.... live and learn.

I've sent you a PM with an alternative location to download from... and if THAT fails as well then I'll whip up a torrent.  Of course, the download speed of the torrent will be limited to my max upstream (~120kB/s) since I'll be the only seed.

Let me know if you have any more troubles snagging this file.

Cheers!
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #131 on: November 17, 2008, 07:08:48 pm »

I don't know if all is working correctly....
After connection the menu looks like OK then
running for a while it disconnects and the menu looks like not OK.
Although it says <Not connected to any server>, in this condition, it still seems to download  Huh
Can this be OK?
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 11:38:09 pm by Cariboo » Logged

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #132 on: November 17, 2008, 08:30:20 pm »

I can tell you that it's currently transferring and you're at 9%.  I cannot explain why filezilla would indicate 'not connected' yet still seem to indicate that the transfer is active at 4kB/sec.  I've noticed several disconnects, but your ftp client resumes everytime.  I think doing what you are doing is working.  Sometime tomorrow it should finish up Grin

BTW, will you please edit your post so my IP address is not visible.  Thanks.
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #133 on: November 17, 2008, 10:28:09 pm »

Grin
BTW, will you please edit your post so my IP address is not visible.  Thanks.
OK  Wink

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #134 on: November 18, 2008, 09:28:39 am »

Thanks!!  BTW, looks like you're at 36% Cheesy
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11
  Print  

Jump to: