VectorLinux
November 27, 2014, 12:32:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
  Print  
Author Topic: Backup a custom kernel installation...  (Read 26729 times)
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #135 on: November 18, 2008, 11:24:30 am »

Thanks!!  BTW, looks like you're at 36% Cheesy
Actually 41% right now.
I do it on my place with Dial-Up connection.
It is a very stable connection.
Average dl speed is better than 4.3 kB/sec.
 Smiley

Life is full of setbacks; Success is measured by the way you deal with them!
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #136 on: November 20, 2008, 06:54:54 pm »

Hello newtor,
as you certainly noticed the download has finished (successfully) and I want to thank you for providing such a stable connection.
I installed the 262219-version and before I continue testing I want to do some clean up.
I want to make sure that only the new kernel (262219) is active, because during the necessary restart (after installation) the the system probably booted with the 262214 kernel and sure enough, it hung!
"pkgtool" shows me installed are:
"kernel-2.6.22.14-i586-v.., {the-one-I-want-kernel-2.6.22.19-i686}, kernel-headers-2.6.21.5_..,
kernel-modules-2.6.22.14"
(I know the procedure of removing packages and know how to symlink the new kernel.)
What I don't know is  what is really needed and what can be removed.
There is also lot of 262214 related stuff in directory /boot (see screenshot).
Can I 'rm' all the ..14 references?
 Huh

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #137 on: November 21, 2008, 01:59:59 pm »

I was hoping someone else with more concrete knowledge would answer by now.  From my perspective, I cannot see why you would need any other kernel's left installed since you installed an updated kernel with modules.  The one that makes me wonder is the kernel-headers.  Since they are from a previous kernel version I wouldn't think they're necessary, but I certainly didn't put them there so they must have come with the stock VL 5.9 Std which makes me think they should remain until it can be determined that they are not needed.

Regarding the /boot directory: This is the directory that holds all of the boot information so your system can actually boot the operating system.  It can be cleaned up but take caution when doing so.  One option is to create a new directory named '/boot/backup' and move all files you'd like to delete to that directory.  Then create your new symlinks; update /etc/lilo.conf; and update lilo (lilo -v) making sure there are no errors reported before restarting.  I think you're fine moving everything with the ...2.6.22.14 (and associated symlinks) to the /boot/backup directory.  Once you're confident that you don't need those files anymore simply delete the /backup directory.

It looks like the System.map and config files for the new kernel where not included in the install which is probably my fault.  I think I have these somewhere and can get them to you to put in /boot (I do not think they are NECESSARY, but they must be useful in some way).  I do not have an updated initrd so keep that one intact where it is.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 02:02:07 pm by newtor » Logged
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #138 on: November 21, 2008, 04:28:26 pm »

I was hoping someone else with more concrete knowledge would answer by now.  From my perspective, I cannot see why you would need any other kernel's left installed since you installed an updated kernel with modules.  The one that makes me wonder is the kernel-headers.  Since they are from a previous kernel version I wouldn't think they're necessary, but I certainly didn't put them there so they must have come with the stock VL 5.9 Std which makes me think they should remain until it can be determined that they are not needed.
@newtor
I'm thankful for your comments, specially concerning having several kernels and a header referring to an older kernel version "kernel-headers-2.6.21.5_. Huh
I would rather wait until I get more clarification on this multi kernel installation and the fact that I have only "kernel-modules-2.6.22.14", before I go for further testing and using this 2.6.22.19 install.
Do you have any suggestions whom I could contact?

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #139 on: November 21, 2008, 05:20:47 pm »

@newtor
I'm thankful for your comments, specially concerning having several kernels and a header referring to an older kernel version "kernel-headers-2.6.21.5_. Huh
I would rather wait until I get more clarification on this multi kernel installation and the fact that I have only "kernel-modules-2.6.22.14", before I go for further testing and using this 2.6.22.19 install.
Do you have any suggestions whom I could contact?
you can safely remove the kernel-2.6.22.14-i586-1vl59 and the kernel-modules-2.6.22.14-i586-1vl59 packages.
Code:
removepkg kernel-2.6.22.14-i586-1vl59
removepkg kernel-modules-2.6.22.14-i586-1vl59

You should NOT remove the kernel-headers-2.6.21.5 package. It is required in order to build programs.
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #140 on: November 21, 2008, 08:51:55 pm »

Regarding the /boot directory: This is the directory that holds all of the boot information so your system can actually boot the operating system.  It can be cleaned up but take caution when doing so.  One option is to create a new directory named '/boot/backup' and move all files you'd like to delete to that directory.  Then create your new symlinks; update /etc/lilo.conf; and update lilo (lilo -v) making sure there are no errors reported before restarting.  I think you're fine moving everything with the ...2.6.22.14 (and associated symlinks) to the /boot/backup directory.  Once you're confident that you don't need those files anymore simply delete the /backup directory.
After following uelsk8s' instructions...Thanks uelsk8s....the /boot directory was basically cleaned up!
I only had to create one symlink: 'ln -s /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.19 /boot/vmlinuz' and now /boot looks OK to me! (See ScSh)

Now comes the "vmklive" test and all the different boot conditions test  Grin
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 08:54:50 pm by Cariboo » Logged

Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #141 on: November 22, 2008, 07:24:52 am »

First results:
1) Booting does not hang anymore!
2) 'vmklive' (using 2.6.22.19 modules) is not producing ISO and md5 files, although it says that these are ready and can be found in the /tmp folder.
I only get "live_data_xxxx and initrd_tree_yyyy" directories there!

Any ideas?

Cariboo

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #142 on: November 22, 2008, 07:33:29 am »

my thoughts are that because of the kernel recompile this "custom" kernel does not have the required modules needed to build a livecd.
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #143 on: November 22, 2008, 08:01:52 am »

my thoughts are that because of the kernel recompile this "custom" kernel does not have the required modules needed to build a livecd.

Yes, I believe so...I have a similar situation trying to install the modem driver, which worked on this machine with the 2.6.22.14 modules. It seems all the problems I have come from the modules.
How can I know what I need for this machine? Can modules be transferred from one version to the other? Which module is responsible for what.... let's say, for vmklive and Agere Modem (which was correctly detected during system installation)?

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #144 on: November 22, 2008, 10:36:47 am »

to build your martian driver all you should need is a symlink.

mine is like this:
Code:
uel:$ ls -la /lib/modules/2.6.26.8/build
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 2008-11-19 20:41 /lib/modules/2.6.26.8/build -> /usr/src/linux-2.6.26.8/

so try this
Code:
ln -s usr/src/linux-2.6.22.19 /lib/modules/2.6.22.19/build

if you really want to build a livecd with that kernel let me know, we will figure out a way to get the modules built for it.
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #145 on: November 22, 2008, 12:09:17 pm »

to build your martian driver all you should need is a symlink.
so try this
Code: ln -s usr/src/linux-2.6.22.19 /lib/modules/2.6.22.19/build

It's very strange....it says /build already exists...although there are the complains when I try to build the driver.
(See ScSh)
if you really want to build a livecd with that kernel let me know, we will figure out a way to get the modules built for it.

I don't care what kernel/module version I would have to use....
all I want is to get "VectorLinux" running on a "Dell Inspiron 2500 Laptop"  with Dial-Up and wireless Internet connections, play some music or movie, have text editor and a spread sheet and edit some pictures Cry
The only issue which seems to be solved with this kernel is the "booting" from either powerOFF or reboot conditions.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 12:24:31 pm by Cariboo » Logged

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #146 on: November 22, 2008, 12:23:23 pm »

Again, it looks like the problem is related to my inexperience Roll Eyes.  I can see that the symlink points to the incorrect location - darn, I wonder what other "things" might crop up over time.  To solve the problem at hand, you can simply remove the current symlink and create a new one the way uelsk8s suggests.
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #147 on: November 22, 2008, 12:31:11 pm »

Again, it looks like the problem is related to my inexperience Roll Eyes.  I can see that the symlink points to the incorrect location - darn, I wonder what other "things" might crop up over time.  To solve the problem at hand, you can simply remove the current symlink and create a new one the way uelsk8s suggests.
Sometimes I think I'm the only person on the planet who tries to modernize a Dell Inspiron 2500 Laptop  Shocked and run it with an advanced Linux System like Vector Linux!

newt
Vectorian

« Reply #148 on: November 22, 2008, 12:39:09 pm »

At least you have the perseverance and commitment to make it work.  You've stuck it through this far and I imagine that you'll be rewarded in the end; not to mention the knowledge you will have gained by the time you have your perfect distro Smiley

I wonder what other broken symlinks are located in /lib/modules/2.6.22.19/.  Have a look and take note of any with the red font color (ls -al /lib/modules/2.6.22.19/).  Any that point to /home/staddie/usr/src/... are incorrect and should be fixed to point to /usr/src/... Does that make sense?  Hopefully there aren't many.

EDIT:
It looks like '/lib/modules/2.6.22.19/source' is broken as well. It should point to the same location as 'build'
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 12:51:53 pm by newtor » Logged
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #149 on: November 22, 2008, 01:34:30 pm »

At least you have the perseverance and commitment to make it work.  You've stuck it through this far and I imagine that you'll be rewarded in the end; not to mention the knowledge you will have gained by the time you have your perfect distro Smiley
Without your and uelsk8s' help it would never happen................................................
I would like to see it working on other poeple's "Inspirons 2500" too  Grin
I wonder what other broken symlinks are located in /lib/modules/2.6.22.19/.  Have a look and take note of any with the red font color (ls -al /lib/modules/2.6.22.19/).  Any that point to /home/staddie/usr/src/... are incorrect and should be fixed to point to /usr/src/... Does that make sense?  Hopefully there aren't many. EDIT:
It looks like '/lib/modules/2.6.22.19/source' is broken as well. It should point to the same location as 'build'
Exactly, source is pointing also to .../staddie.. (See ScSh)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11
  Print  

Jump to: