VectorLinux
October 20, 2014, 07:14:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Problems booting 5.9 STD-Live CD  (Read 1822 times)
Norm3210

« on: October 05, 2008, 03:41:45 pm »

Hello, I'm having some trouble booting the Live CD on my laptop. The first error I see is "you have passed a undefined video mode number". Then when it continues it gets to the point where it says "loading iSCSI transport class v2.0-724." and the system locks up. Is there a way to add a no iSCSI parameter to the boot options to see if I can get it to boot farther. Currently the system has Mandriva on it but would like to go with something lighter weight like Vector. Here are the computer specs. Please help!

Dell Inspiron 2500
900 Mhz Celeron
512 MBs Memory
Integrated Video
20 Gig HD

Thanks for your help! Grin
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 11:06:32 am by Norm3210 » Logged
tncanuck

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 06:35:16 am »

I am also having trouble booting the 5.9 Standard Live CD. The first error I see is "you have passed a undefined video mode number". Then when it continues it gets to where I can login. I chose VL and Vector. I cannot startx or startxfce4. All I get is the text prompt. Here are the computer specs:

Dell Dimension 3000
2.66 Ghz Celeron D 330
1 Gb Memory
Integrated Intel Extreme Graphics 2 Video
80 Gig HD

Thanks for your help! Seems 5.8 Live worked OK, I will try it again.

TNCanuck

VL 6.0 Deluxe on Pentium III 866MHz, 512Mb RAM, nvidia GeForce2 GTS 32Mb AGP card, Creative Sound Blaster Live!
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 07:01:39 am »

Boot into linux-tui, login as root, tpye "vasm", "xwindow" then re-run your graphics config and try again. If that doesn't work you need to find the Horizontal and Vertical Sync ranges of your monitor (check your manual), then post the output of "cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf" and "lspci" to this thread. 

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
tncanuck

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 03:40:22 pm »

Played a little more... Turns out the option "Autoprobe video" got the newer Dimension 3000 going. Tried the same disc on older Dell Dimension 4100: Pentium III 866MHz, 512Mb Ram, nvidia GeForce2 GTS 32mb video and nothing to type, hit, press or click. I was looking at the graphical login screen in no time.

I think new hardware is overhyped...

tncanuck

VL 6.0 Deluxe on Pentium III 866MHz, 512Mb RAM, nvidia GeForce2 GTS 32Mb AGP card, Creative Sound Blaster Live!
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 03:46:20 pm »

Played a little more... Turns out the option "Autoprobe video" got the newer Dimension 3000 going. Tried the same disc on older Dell Dimension 4100: Pentium III 866MHz, 512Mb Ram, nvidia GeForce2 GTS 32mb video and nothing to type, hit, press or click. I was looking at the graphical login screen in no time.

I think new hardware is overhyped...

tncanuck

Of course it is.. why do you think MS is pushing so hard for customers who use Windows to upgrade to newer and bigger hardware? Because they're trying maintain an alliance with manufacturers?    Wink

Well anyway, "autoprobe video" can sometimes miss on some hardware, and that is why the other options are there. Perhaps you will have better results using one of the other options?

Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 03:42:14 am »

Hello, I'm having some trouble booting the Live CD on my laptop. The first error I see is "you have passed a undefined video mode number". Then when it continues it gets to the point where it says "loading iSCSI transport class v2.0-724." and the system locks up........................
Thanks for your help! Grin

Check THIS, maybe it helps!  Wink

Life is full of setbacks; Success is measured by the way you deal with them!
Norm3210

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 05:03:45 pm »

Thanks Cariboo, I had read through that before. Most of it is way over my head being somewhat of a Newbie. Not sure it is worth trying to get the Live CD to work. I just wanted to check out Vector to see if it was a good option for the old Dell laptop. Thanks anyway!  Undecided
Cariboo
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 09:44:40 pm »

Thanks Cariboo, I had read through that before. Most of it is way over my head being somewhat of a Newbie. Not sure it is worth trying to get the Live CD to work. I just wanted to check out Vector to see if it was a good option for the old Dell laptop. Thanks anyway!  Undecided
I'm a newbie too, but I'm retired and had time to work it through. I learned a lot in this session.
VectorLinux works great on my old Dell. For me, it was worth the trouble  Smiley

Life is full of setbacks; Success is measured by the way you deal with them!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: