Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: New to Vector but...  (Read 2387 times)

New to Vector but...
« on: June 25, 2008, 11:54:04 am »

Hello all,

I'm new to VL but old in the linux world. I got started with Xandros 2.0 and Lindows (now Linspire), and proceeded to try other distros as I got deeper and deeper into the unix/linux realm.
I currently have two Slackware based distros(VL & Zenwalk) in my arsenal and one debian based distro loaded on my son's laptop (U*untu). Since I have used Zenwalk as my main system and simply love it, I thought it was time to branch out to other Slackware based distros... so Vector Linux here I am.  ;)
I jumped in with the SOHO Deluxe version and will be putting it through its paces. I must say that the MACOS Theme is very nice.

VL SOHO 5.9 and Zenwalk 5.2

• Tester
  • Vectorian
Re: New to Vector but...
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 12:10:02 pm »

;D Funny, I've been a long term Zenwalk user, started looking seriously at Vector a few months ago. I also just encountered someone else who is using both Vector and Zenwalk (though I think he started with Vector, then tried Zenwalk).

For two distributions that come from a common base and share similar design goals, its amazing just how different Vector and Zenwalk are. Its almost annoying. There are things I prefer about Zenwalk, and also areas where Vector suits me better.

When I finally finish building my shiny new Core2Duo machine, I guess I'll have to install the 64-bit version of Vector - currently Zenwalk has no 64-bit variant.

Hope you enjoy SOHO.

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • Morse Code Early digital mode. John 3:16
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 12:28:49 pm »

Welcome to Vector I think you'll enjoy SOHO it's a very good Distro.
Enjoy the stay hope it's a long one.

( Living Somewhere in Maine USA)
Registered Linux User #462608

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2008, 11:47:07 am »

hi just moved recently to vector
from sabayon