VectorLinux
October 24, 2014, 07:13:27 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Migrating...  (Read 8655 times)
imagicos

« on: October 08, 2008, 08:24:28 am »

Hello, I am considering migrating to Vecto Linux 5.9 SOHO (a very pretty distro indeed!) from iMagic OS. What are the benefits of using Vector Linux?

Thank You!
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 08:36:52 am »

What are the benefits of using Vector Linux?

People answers forum questions in 10 minutes Wink

imagicos

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 08:41:23 am »

What are the benefits of using Vector Linux?

People answers forum questions in 10 minutes Wink

Ha ha. But I get that from most forums. (although iMagic OS forums, no. Wink)
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 08:47:17 am »

Well, I  don't know iMagicOS, but vectorlinux is the fastest distro I tried without having to mess with compiling everything, or beeing an expert to use it.

It's based on slackware, so there's a stable base, and it adds some user friendly features like:

slapt-get (package manager with dependency tracking)
java out of the box
most codecs out of the box
flash
dev tools already there
comunity (that's a distro feature for me)
speed (well, that's slackware's merit Wink

Apart from this, being a small comunity gives me the oportunity to participate and help the distro.

Just my 2 cents

btw, Welcome to vl .

imagicos

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 09:09:54 am »

Well, I  don't know iMagicOS, but vectorlinux is the fastest distro I tried without having to mess with compiling everything, or beeing an expert to use it.

It's based on slackware, so there's a stable base, and it adds some user friendly features like:

slapt-get (package manager with dependency tracking)
java out of the box
most codecs out of the box
flash
dev tools already there
comunity (that's a distro feature for me)
speed (well, that's slackware's merit Wink

Apart from this, being a small comunity gives me the oportunity to participate and help the distro.

Just my 2 cents

btw, Welcome to vl .

Nice to hear your opinion. Normally, I don't care to much about the community.

However, what version do most of you use.
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 09:24:13 am »

It's possible that MY benefits are YOUR drawbacks and vice-versa.  My suggestion would be that if you want to know what VL is like then try it out; decide if you like it; and go from there.  It may be too hands-on for you, then again it may exactly what you're after.  The community is truely great and helpful, but for one of us to pinpoint all of the benefits of using VL over imagicos is very difficult.

Version:
Light for older hardware, minimal eye-candy
Standard for older (but newer) hardware, xfce, feature-rich
SOHO for newer hardware, kde, feature-rich, all bells and whistles

My preference is standard.
imagicos

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 09:30:15 am »

It's possible that MY benefits are YOUR drawbacks and vice-versa.  My suggestion would be that if you want to know what VL is like then try it out; decide if you like it; and go from there.  It may be too hands-on for you, then again it may exactly what you're after.  The community is truely great and helpful, but for one of us to pinpoint all of the benefits of using VL over imagicos is very difficult.

Version:
Light for older hardware, minimal eye-candy
Standard for older (but newer) hardware, xfce, feature-rich
SOHO for newer hardware, kde, feature-rich, all bells and whistles

My preference is standard.

I see. SOHO, I have newer hardware, I love kDE and hate XFCE, although vectorlinux emulates windows in kde mac os x, I LOVE bells and whistles

But is there a way to try it out without paying? I mean, 20 bucks compared to 70 (imagic os) is nothing, but still, I am considering iMagic OS, because of its ease of use and extra features, like ms compatibility. Does vector have a trial? and who does the money go to?
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 09:42:19 am »

But is there a way to try it out without paying?
Sure there is:
SOHO 5.9.1 Download Edition (install version): http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/iso-release/VL5.9.1-SOHO.iso
SOHO 5.9 Preview Edition (Live version): http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/iso-release/VL5.9-SOHO-preview.iso

If you have hard drive space I would recommend the install version, but the live version works as well.  I've always had best luck with non-live (install) versions of any distro.

who does the money go to?
The money goes to the development of VL (member: vector - I guess).

Hope this helps!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 09:45:23 am by newtor » Logged
imagicos

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 09:45:15 am »

If you can install it, then why would you buy it?

But is there a way to try it out without paying?
Sure there is:
SOHO 5.9.1 Download Edition (install version): http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/iso-release/VL5.9.1-SOHO.iso
SOHO 5.9 Preview Edition (Live version): http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/iso-release/VL5.9-SOHO-preview.iso

If you have hard drive space I would recommend the install version, but the live version works as well.  I've always had best luck with non-live (install) versions of any distro.

Hope this helps!
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 09:51:08 am »

You buy it to support VL development.  Also, the for-fee version contains some extras for SOHO that are not included in the download version (exactly what? I'm not sure, however they are not integral parts of the system).  The important part of this is that VL is made available in all flavors to everyone for free via download.  If you choose to purchase any of the flavors then you are helping to support VL development as well as gaining additional extras.

Cheers!
imagicos

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 09:59:52 am »

You buy it to support VL development.  Also, the for-fee version contains some extras for SOHO that are not included in the download version (exactly what? I'm not sure, however they are not integral parts of the system).  The important part of this is that VL is made available in all flavors to everyone for free via download.  If you choose to purchase any of the flavors then you are helping to support VL development as well as gaining additional extras.

Cheers!

Well thanks, you've been extremely helpful newton, in my decision, however, who exactly gets the money? The community, web hosts, one person, the developer? Who? Thanks again!
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 11:10:53 am »

Vector Linux, the business, gets the money.  I know Robert Lange (Vector) and Darrell (Metvas) are the founders of Vector Linux. I know Robert is very much part of the hands-on development and I get the idea Darrell is still involved at some level.  I don't know if any of the other core developers are paid.  I don't honestly know if anyone makes enough money off this to make a living but I suspect not. 

When you purchase a Linux distribution, any distribution, you are buying something that is available without cost.  The decision to buy is always to support future development efforts.  Yes, the paid version has two isos with lots more packages but that's just convenience.  Those packages can be downloaded as well if you have tons of time on your hands. 

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
imagicos

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 11:35:52 am »

Vector Linux, the business, gets the money.  I know Robert Lange (Vector) and Darrell (Metvas) are the founders of Vector Linux. I know Robert is very much part of the hands-on development and I get the idea Darrell is still involved at some level.  I don't know if any of the other core developers are paid.  I don't honestly know if anyone makes enough money off this to make a living but I suspect not. 

When you purchase a Linux distribution, any distribution, you are buying something that is available without cost.  The decision to buy is always to support future development efforts.  Yes, the paid version has two isos with lots more packages but that's just convenience.  Those packages can be downloaded as well if you have tons of time on your hands. 

I understand. However what do you mean by, "you are buying something that is available without cost."? You have to pay for Xandros and iMagic OS don't you?
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 12:17:39 pm »

All open source software *should* by law be available without cost.
A company may choose to sell a collection of open source sofware (this is a linux distro), However, the components that make up that distro are still available out there.

You really should read about the implication of the GNU GPL

bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2008, 12:55:07 pm »

imagicos

Just to add to your answer.

When you purchase a download for Vector Linux you are helping
to cover the costs of bandwidth, server space, and the other
expenses that are paid for by Vector Linux.

Purchasing is not required by any means. Many of the users here
purchase the download or donate directly to help cover the above
noted expenses. Which shows that you support this distribution.

In the Linux world you should contribute to give back to the community
so that the community can continue. The contribution is not mandatory.
In face a contribution could be as simple as answering questions on this
forum or even just talking about Vector Linux. This allows the community
to grow.

The big commercial distributions, Red Hat for example expect no real
input other than purchasing the distribution.

HTH

Bigpaws
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: