VectorLinux
November 27, 2014, 03:36:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Who develops VectorLinux?  (Read 4228 times)
imagicos

« on: October 08, 2008, 10:02:07 am »

Who develops VectorLinux? I know the community gives ideas, but who actually does the official developing?
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2008, 10:42:46 am »

"Develops" is an ambiguous. So asking who does it, is ..... well... asking for an ambiguous answer IMO

The VL community does more than provide ideas. It is made of packagers, testers, programmers, Repository maintainers, artistes, and the all-around-good-guys like myself Wink j/k

So I see VL as a community driven project. AFAIK, Robert is the man in charge, but he's certainly not the guy who does it all (no offense vec Wink)

imagicos

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2008, 10:53:38 am »

"Develops" is an ambiguous. So asking who does it, is ..... well... asking for an ambiguous answer IMO

The VL community does more than provide ideas. It is made of packagers, testers, programmers, Repository maintainers, artistes, and the all-around-good-guys like myself Wink j/k

So I see VL as a community driven project. AFAIK, Robert is the man in charge, but he's certainly not the guy who does it all (no offense vec Wink)

For example, can I just take VectorLinux, change a bunch of stuff, then make a new release?
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2008, 11:04:30 am »

For example, can I just take VectorLinux, change a bunch of stuff, then make a new release?

Yes, of course you can, but you couldn't call it Vector Linux.  That's true of any Linux distribution licensed under the GPL or any similar Open Source license including so-called commercial distributions. 

There is a business called Vector Linux.  Whether or not it actually pays the bills for Robert (Vector), Darrell, or anyone else or not I honestly don't know.  My guess would be not.

I can point to packages I've built and even one little bit of code I've written that ended up included on VL 5.9, 5.9.1, and 6.0 isos.  I do a lot of the repository maintenance at the moment.  I am a volunteer and I do not get paid a dime.  How much I do depends on how much time I have, what else is going on in my life and how motivated I feel.  A lot of community volunteer work by a lot of different people goes into Vector Linux.  Robert and other core developers make the actual decisions.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 12:24:43 pm by caitlyn » Logged

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2008, 11:04:42 am »

Certainly not under the name "VectorLinux", but you can certainly base a distro on VL (so is the case with supergamer)

You may want to take a look at the terms on the GNU GPL License for details

imagicos

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2008, 11:16:40 am »

Certainly not under the name "VectorLinux", but you can certainly base a distro on VL (so is the case with supergamer)

You may want to take a look at the terms on the GNU GPL License for details

OK, not that I would think of it, I like it as it is, just curious. Most nice distros do not have such a tight nit community, all the decisions are made by a couple top developers, but here, if you give an idea, it will be considered. I like it! All the best for vector. Wink
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2008, 12:26:33 pm »

You've just described a lot of the reason I stick with Vector Linux and volunteer.  The community is outstanding and the developers do listen to their users.  Everyone feels like they can contribute and that their ideas are heard.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
edwarben89

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2008, 10:24:58 am »

How would I get started contributing.  I know a few programming languages.  (Java and C++)  I can also read. Wink
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2008, 11:15:32 pm »

Best way to get started is to contact uelsk8s or M0E-lnx via pm or email. They are our two programing leads and are always looking for help on various projects. I will let them know of your interest too.........so should not be long before you hear from someone. Thanks for stepping up and volunteering much appreciated!!!

Cheers,
Vec

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: