VectorLinux
November 23, 2014, 11:38:47 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: You can handle this!  (Read 12027 times)
Dweeberkitty
Vectorian

« on: October 11, 2008, 03:06:56 pm »

Okay, so our last contests, let's face it, have pretty much been flops. How about this?

All you need to do to win a Multimedia Bonus Disc is send a quick email to contests@vectorlinuxsolutions.com with a 1-2 paragraph description of why we should send YOU a prize. There will be at least one winner. The deadline is one month from today (November 11, 2008).

That is all!  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 03:11:46 pm by Dweeberkitty » Logged

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 10:54:24 am »

Hmmm, sounds pretty complicated  Grin
Dweeberkitty
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2008, 11:01:18 am »

I guess it's too complicated. Nobody has entered in yet. How can we get people to participate? Seems like we have a dead forum when it comes to the contests. I'd also like to get people outside VL to participate as well. Any ideas?

Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2008, 05:51:04 pm »

Maybe you just have to throw in the towel. If a nice prize doesn't entice people to enter a contest, I don't know what else might.

I forgot why the contests came about in the first place.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Dweeberkitty
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2008, 06:07:04 pm »

Maybe you just have to throw in the towel. If a nice prize doesn't entice people to enter a contest, I don't know what else might.

I forgot why the contests came about in the first place.
--GrannyGeek

Yeah, we started the contests to get some publicity to VL and to have a little fun. Uelsk8s is the one who actually purchased the materials and whatnot to get them going (and he wants them to continue). We were going to do like 7 contests or something, but nobody seems to participate and like you said, if the prize doesn't get them, I'm not sure what will.

Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2008, 09:19:31 pm »

Yeah, we're a bunch of deadbeats ...   Cheesy
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2008, 10:02:08 pm »

...if the prize doesn't get them, I'm not sure what will.
Fame and fortune ought to work for many of us Grin.  Perhaps a new Bentley?? Even used would be okay  Shocked

Sorry I haven't participated in any of the contests.  I don't consider myself very graphically inclined and my wallpaper is generally a vertical gradation of dark gray to darker gray (darker at the top); A video of my desktop would be like looking at vanilla VL with stock apps (i.e. not overly entertaining or useful); and I don't feel like _I_ deserve a prize thus no paragraphs about why I should.  Those are the reasons why _I_ have not participated in any of the contests..... plus, I'm not overly competative (I dislike losing or rejection Cry )
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 03:54:43 am »

I beat Newtor in the boring department. My desktop is a solid color. No launchers on it, just whatever I'm working on at the moment. I'm not competitive. If I won a Bentley I'd trade that gas hog for a Prius.

I am happy contributing back to this community because you have a bunch of really great guys and gals hanging out here. The distro also has the right mix of rewards and challenges for my taste. This is what motivates me.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2008, 07:19:35 am »

If I won a Bentley I'd trade that gas hog for a Prius.

LMAO

Dweeberkitty
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2008, 12:05:02 pm »

What if we did a contest for the VL packagers. Whoever can package the most things for our repos wins. Or, we can have a more scaled contest:

• Packages already in repo that get upgraded: 1pt
  • Packages not already in the repo: 2pts
  • Packages that have been requested by users: 3pts

I dunno, that might fill the qualification of helping VL while making a fun and interesting competition at the same time. Any thoughts?

Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 06:01:17 pm »

Yea, then we can do one for those GUI guys  Grin
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 07:25:35 pm »

Interesting idea...
Of course, people package out of love, not for prizes  Smiley

Maybe 3 prizes for the three best?  Wink
Dweeberkitty
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 07:49:49 am »

Yea, then we can do one for those GUI guys  Grin

Huh? Not sure I get what you mean...

Interesting idea...
Of course, people package out of love, not for prizes  Smiley

Yeah, I know.....but still it would be fun for everybody I think.  Cheesy
We can get people to post a whole bunch of packages to request....then when the contests starts, the packagers claim which packages they are building and go at it.

Dweeberkitty
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2008, 02:34:58 pm »

I got the thumbs up from uelsk8s on doing a packaging contest. What I need to know though is what everyone thinks would work best for doing this contest. For example, do we let the contest run for a week? More? Less? Do we want to use a point system like I described above? etc...

Any ideas are welcome, and I'd be really nice if the packagers that are interested in participating would post and give their input. Thanks!

Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2008, 02:42:51 pm »

I got the thumbs up from uelsk8s on doing a packaging contest. .....

He didn't try to poke you in the eyes with them did he?  Cheesy

Some of us are slow as it is, so (if) whatever the time frame may be, this needs to be considered.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: