VectorLinux
October 30, 2014, 11:35:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gripes about the MMBD  (Read 16465 times)
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2008, 09:08:35 am »

I cheered too soon, it appears; User-account is inaccessible now, but this time at least I got an error-message:
Code:
There was an error setting up inter-process communications for KDE. The message returned by the system was:

Could not read network connection list.
/home/nels/.DCOPserver_****_0

Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running.

Back in my root-account, Opera now works.

It's getting weirder and weirder....
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 09:16:27 am by SuSE-Refugee » Logged

<Lame sig>
exeterdad
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 09:12:33 am »

LOL!
I noticed the "Could not write to file: No space left on device" errors but didn't know if I trusted them as so much has gone goofy for you. And I didn't have the <insert possibly profane word for round bouncy things here> to ask you if you had enough disk space.
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 09:22:22 am »

And yes!
I can't re-create any user-account anymore!
(That bug , at least, is consistent.)

But the more this thread grows, the more problems I discover with SOHO itself as well.
I guess I'll have to address those in the development-forum.

<Lame sig>
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 09:34:35 am »

Uhmm....
The uninstaller of the MMBD doesn't work?
I ran that one, but my partition is still stuffed to the rim and the MMBD-programs are still there and working, even though the uninstaller said the uninstall was successfull.

Not really a disaster where it consideres my installation(this one's gonna get nuked anyway.) but do other people encounter the same?

<Lame sig>
Dweeberkitty
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 10:13:46 am »

I see now that I should have implemented a check for disc space function. That is possibly why the user account problems occurred and also why the uninstaller doesn't as well. I am able to uninstall the entire disc quite easily and have been able to do so on many systems. But, I also have a 320gb hard drive with plenty of space to install as much as I want.

What if you repartitioned to give yourself a larger space to install SOHO? That may help. When you are completely out of disc space, things really do get weird.

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
no2thesame
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2008, 04:43:23 am »

What if you repartitioned to give yourself a larger space to install SOHO? That may help. When you are completely out of disc space, things really do get weird.

Sorry Dweeberkitty, with over 5Gb free in / and 27Gb free /home I can't create a second user account in VASMCC

no2
Dweeberkitty
Vectorian

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2008, 05:28:27 am »

Sorry Dweeberkitty, with over 5Gb free in / and 27Gb free /home I can't create a second user account in VASMCC

no2

Hmmm...I have no idea what is going on. I might need some help from the devs on this one. Any ideas?

Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2008, 09:33:07 am »

Regarding the uninstaller; Maybe this output makes any sense to you:
Code:
/bin/sh
sh install.sh
Uninstall (Removes previous installation)
install.sh: line 258: cd: Packages: No such file or directory
Yes chosen.

Then the uninstaller cheerfully tells me, the MMBD is removed from the system, which is not the case.
Also; it appears, the MMBD packeges don' t register with GSLAPT; I tried to use that one to remove the packages manually, but no such luck.
According to GSLAPT, there were no such packages.

Maybe an idea to make the MMBD call GSLAPT to install its packages? That way, there' s always a means of purging the system, so to say.
(If not; why?)

<Lame sig>
Dweeberkitty
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2008, 10:25:18 am »

Ooooh! Wait, where were you executing that command from?

Code:
sh install.sh

Are you executing the install file inside of the MMBD_Data folder or directly from the CD? There were some issues to get around some bug/problem with kde desktop files for installing. The install file on the CD was meant to be run directly and it should work. The error lies in being unable to find the Packages folder.

Maybe an idea to make the MMBD call GSLAPT to install its packages? That way, there' s always a means of purging the system, so to say.
(If not; why?)

That is exactly how the installer was written and the uninstaller should work exactly as you think it should (using gslapt). And that is weird that Gslapt does not show the packages. Man! Everything works great here...but that doesn't help you much does it?

Go ahead and try the installer again. Try just clicking on the Install-SOHO file on the cd and see if that works for ya.

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2008, 03:50:26 pm »

no2

Hmmm...I have no idea what is going on. I might need some help from the devs on this one. Any ideas?
the solution is posted earlier in this thread here: http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=7008.msg47735#msg47735
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2008, 08:58:07 pm »

My copy of SOHO disc 2 was downloaded.  I never did a full install (aminly didn't want some of the non-MMDB bonus apps) and I didn't have any of the problems you described.  There were a couple of bugs that dweeberkitty warned me were there (gtkam has issues) but mostly I was very pleased.

Yeah... I looked for xmms too.  Howwever, I've discovered that I really, really like Aqualung better and it's included Smiley  I still hate ripperX and would like to see grip in the next version.  I've noticed some Slackware based distros (Wolvix, AliXe) managed to include it without having a ton of GNOMEish stuff installed.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Dweeberkitty
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2008, 05:37:49 am »

the solution is posted earlier in this thread here: http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=7008.msg47735#msg47735

Thanks uelsk8s, I will see what I can find.

Caitlyn, gtkam is not included on the MMBD nor is ripperX. Those are both included in VL itself, but I suppose I could include grip in the next version, that is if the devs don't do it themselves....Wink

SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2008, 07:35:52 am »

Ooooh! Wait, where were you executing that command from?

Code:
sh install.sh

Are you executing the install file inside of the MMBD_Data folder or directly from the CD? There were some issues to get around some bug/problem with kde desktop files for installing. The install file on the CD was meant to be run directly and it should work. The error lies in being unable to find the Packages folder.

(If not; why?)
Uhm... yes I did, since that's the first one I encountered and hence concluded, it was the only/preferred one.
That is exactly how the installer was written and the uninstaller should work exactly as you think it should (using gslapt). And that is weird that Gslapt does not show the packages. Man! Everything works great here...but that doesn't help you much does it?

Go ahead and try the installer again. Try just clicking on the Install-SOHO file on the cd and see if that works for ya.
Not gonna happen today; Just finished posting my experiences with a fresh, double-checked installation with plenty of room everywhere. Didn't even get to installing the MMBD...
(And as it is now, I won't risk my last remaining working installation...)

<Lame sig>
Dweeberkitty
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2008, 11:38:56 am »

Not gonna happen today; Just finished posting my experiences with a fresh, double-checked installation with plenty of room everywhere. Didn't even get to installing the MMBD...
(And as it is now, I won't risk my last remaining working installation...)

Fair enough. Once I get these bugs fixed, and implement the free space checking, I'll probably release a MMBD 1.5 update to make sure that the problems are fixed before proceeding on to 2.0 on VL6. We'll see how it works out.

EDIT: Did you ever decide whether those CDs were actually a "bad burn?" Or was it the freespace problem?

SuSE-Refugee
Ex-Officio
Vectorite

Dude In The Snappy Hat

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2008, 07:32:01 pm »

Bad burn on top of the "legroom-issue".
Can't say for the Dics2 yet.

<Lame sig>
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print