VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Installation Problems  (Read 1654 times)

Meshe

Installation Problems
« on: October 11, 2008, 09:13:02 am »

Hey guys,

I been having some issue while trying to install Vector Linux on my laptop. I'm installing it from CD-boot, and when its loading the iSCSI it just stays there "loading", I have let the loading for like 1 hr an a half, and still the screen is on that spot.

Also dont know if it has to do anything with not having the partitions done yet, thus I wanted to make them once the installation GUI was up.

Cariboo

• Vectorite
Re: Installation Problems
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 02:33:00 pm »

Hi,
Check HERE and THERE
Life is full of setbacks; Success is measured by the way you deal with them!

sledgehammer

• Vectorian
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 12:30:58 pm »

I have loaded Vector on laptops hundreds of times. If I knew what "iSCSI" was, I might have a suggestion, unless you are dual-booting and I know nothing of that.  I do know that when I run into a hang (very rare), it sometimes helps to do the partitions in puppy and then boot up with the Vector 5.9 install CD.  If I still have problems, its usually a bad install CD.

John
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 08:49:56 am by sledgehammer »
VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511

Meshe

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 04:29:24 pm »

Thx for the posts cariboo, the thing here is that I only have windows installed on my laptop, you seem to have linux which let you change the kernel, on my case I cant.  :'( And yes that's exactly what happen to me, it is left hanging there.

When the installation asks for where is the partition like a linux console, can I call the lilo conf to change the priority on the iSCSI?

Cariboo

• Vectorite
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 05:09:40 pm »

Hello Meshe
I started with the help of the KNOPPIX 5.1 LiveCD to re-partition the Hard Drive and create a new partition with ext3 file system for VL.
Then I rebooted and inserted the VL-5.9-std CD and, following the menu, I was able to install VL on this newly created partition.
Once installed I could reboot and had VL running from the HDD. Then I went through the procedure of reconfiguring of the kernel as described in the thread.
 Cariboo
Life is full of setbacks; Success is measured by the way you deal with them!

Meshe

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2008, 06:08:09 pm »

oh i see. Though following what you mention on that last post, the issue is not having the partions? Since I havent even get to install VL, while trying to go to the installation interfase its where its left hanging.

I got the ubuntu livecd, ill give it a try.