VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 06:45:30 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Error while compiling Kino 1.3.2 [SOLVED]  (Read 1605 times)
gijii

« on: October 12, 2008, 10:08:11 am »

Hi all,

I am configuring my new SOHO Deluxe 5.9.1.
I am trying to compile some programs.
While compiling Kino 1.3.2, when I checkinstall -L I receive the following message:

tar:<some directory somewhere>: Cannot utime: No such file or directory

I googled around but I did not find something useful to address this issue.
Does anybody know the reason of this error message?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2008, 11:57:27 pm by gijii » Logged

Vectorlinux Soho 5.8, Kernel 2.6.21-ck2. AMD Athlon XP 2.4, 1 GB ram, 320 Gb HD
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2008, 10:50:07 am »

It helps better to know the output more accurately. I am assuming, that you'll need to make <some directory somewhere>, then try the checkinstall again.

For what it's worth, this application is included on the MMBD.
gijii

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2008, 11:22:13 am »

I know that Kino 1.3.0 is included in the MMBD.  Since the 1.3.2 version is a bugfix version and since I am doing a fresh install, I was willing to have the system most up to date.
Regarding the <some directory somewhere > I omitted that because that message refers to not just one line but to many lines and I did not believed useful to past all of them.
Anyway, I tried again to compile it, but instead of checkinstall -L to make a package I just made a "make install". No errors and Kino 1.3.2 compiled and working.
I suspected that Checkinstall could be involved in this problem because I tried to compile other packages and I encountered a lot of problems. So far, I have always used Vector/Slackware because they are very good environments to compile programs.
Do you think that my idea that the problem can be in Checkinstall is right?

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 01:23:44 pm »

More likely it's something you have given to checkinstall, i.e. a syntax error in an option.  I used to use checkinstall all the time until VL demanded that packages submitted for the repo be built with a standard script.  I still use it for packages I won't be submitting and anytime I have had an error it was an error I made rather than a bug in checkinstall. 

Again, if you want us to understand this you need to post the command you issued and the full output.  Otherwise I don't see how anyone can figure it out.  Bottom line:  if make install worked then checkinstall can work as well.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 03:46:07 pm »

Try checkinstall -L --fstrans=no

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
gijii

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2008, 02:14:05 pm »

I used the suggested option for checkinstall
checkinstall -L --fstrans=no

Kino compiled correctly and works fine.
Could anybody explain the reason of the --fstrans=no option?
Should I use it for every package?
Thanks rbistolfi

rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2008, 08:06:16 pm »

It's about a bug that prevents checkinstall to work in Slacware 12 and its derivatives as VectorLinux 5.9
More info here: http://www.asic-linux.com.mx/~izto/checkinstall/

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: