VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 09:10:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [solved]sigh,failed to install lilo when installtion finish  (Read 1789 times)
JSLLZY

« on: October 13, 2008, 03:24:57 am »

i dowloaded VL5.9-STD-Gold.iso.but install lilo was failed,so now i can not to boot the vector.

i know use grub to boot it.
i must add something to the menu.lst such as:
title linux
root (hd0,x)
kernel /boot/xxxx root=/dev/sdax ro
initrd /boot/xxxx

but i donot know the vmlinuz or initrd,even i can`t explore the linux partion. either use explore2fs.
it cannot display my linux partion!so boringgggg~who can help me!!!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2008, 09:22:08 pm by JSLLZY » Logged
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 04:19:43 am »

you can boot it using the install disk. Follow the example given on the screen. The only thing you need to remember is where the root partition is

JSLLZY

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 07:26:00 am »

yeah,maybe i can only do that,i reinstall the lilo,now i can boot it.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 01:21:03 pm »

I had this same problem once.  I couldn't get Lilo to install to the Master Boot Record.  If you successfully boot into Vector Linux using the install CD (as M0E-lnx suggested) but still can't install Lilo to the Master Boot Record, try installing Lilo on a floppy disk (I'm assuming your computer has a floppy drive - many newer computer's don't).  If you successfully install Lilo to a floppy disk, you will need to go into the BIOS and change the default first boot device to "floppy disk."  Accessing the BIOS will vary from computer to computer, but usually you need to press a specific key.  It is often the DELETE key or the F2 key.  If it's not one of those, and you have access to the manual for your computer, the information you need may be in the manual.

Booting from a floppy will slow your boot time (a little), but it's faster than booting every time from the install disk (which you can still do if installing Lilo to the floppy doesn't work).  If you have older hardware, I think you'll find Vector Linux to your liking.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
JSLLZY

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 09:21:31 pm »

Thank you who helped me.now the problem has solved.
I add this in menu.lst in my windows xp.
title vector
root (hd0,7)
kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.14 root=/dev/hda8 ro
initrd /boot/initrd

now i can boot vector use ntloader and gurb4dos not lilo or grub.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: