VectorLinux
July 26, 2014, 02:49:21 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Vectorlinux for Asus EeePC?  (Read 12948 times)
ruien

« on: October 15, 2008, 12:05:11 am »

First of all thanks for a great distro. I finally got my Toshiba G40 to run great with the latest SOHO 5.9.1 release. I recently got a Asus Eee 900 with Xandros preinstalled because i cant carry around the big Toshiba all the time. I have tried out Ubuntu-Eee, xubuntu-Eee, Puppy-Eee, Opengeeeu and are currently running fluxflux-eee a fork of PclinuxOS. But i like Vector better and  i would like to try out Vector Light on the Eee. Is there any plans to release a Eee PC version of VL Light ? I think it would run fine on this thing.

Thanks.

My laptops: Toshiba G40-127, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU-T7500 @ 2.20GHz, 2x200 GB SATA, Geforce 8600GT 512mb, Realtek HD 5.1 soundcard, 1920x1200 res, 4GB RAM, Intel 4965AGN Wifi card, Vector SOHO 5.9.1 -- Asus Eee pc900 16gb - VL-Light-6.0-Alpha
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 07:56:56 am »

Is there any plans to release a Eee PC version of VL Light ?

I doubt it very much - we are a very small community that cannot support every piece of hardware that makes its way to the marketplace. However, your next best option would be to install Slackware on it, it has been done, see the wiki at eeeuser.com

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 08:03:28 am »

I don't think a whole VL version would be available for the eee.
I'm guessing chances are slim, as I only recall maybe two forum members that mentioned the eee.

If you search for the threads, there is a bit of discussion on how to get vector to run on it.
Several things seem to work out of the box, while drivers and tweaking might be required for others.

I've read somewhere that the recent 2.6.27 kernel could make it easier.
If that is the kernel version in the upcoming VL 6.0, you could have more luck when the new VL comes out.

In the mean time, it is about trying it out.
I might try Vector at some point on a EEE 1000.
It's not mine, though, so I still have a bit of convincing to do....  Smiley
ruien

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2008, 09:31:33 am »

Thanks for reply.

Well i have to say that an Eee isn't just any laptop on the marked. It's sold one Eee every second world wide and other's like Dell, MSI, Toshiba is producing similar net book's. I can install anything on it even VL but nice to have it working out of the box. It's to small to sit on for days making everything work.

But i understand that VL can't support everything on the marked.   Smiley

I'll stick to fluxflux for now  Smiley

My laptops: Toshiba G40-127, Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU-T7500 @ 2.20GHz, 2x200 GB SATA, Geforce 8600GT 512mb, Realtek HD 5.1 soundcard, 1920x1200 res, 4GB RAM, Intel 4965AGN Wifi card, Vector SOHO 5.9.1 -- Asus Eee pc900 16gb - VL-Light-6.0-Alpha
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2008, 10:35:34 am »

When I have some free time I'll try to get VL working in my Acer Aspire One.  I'll post my findings in the forum.

Please, keep us informed of your experiences if you try to install VL on your eeepc to see how easy would be to fully support eeepc.

Welcome to VL btw.

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2008, 12:19:13 pm »

It seems the new kernel will benefit the aspire one as well.
I think wired internet, wireless, and webcam drivers are included in 2.6.27, if I understand it correctly.
ruien

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 05:07:06 am »

When I have some free time I'll try to get VL working in my Acer Aspire One.  I'll post my findings in the forum.

Please, keep us informed of your experiences if you try to install VL on your eeepc to see how easy would be to fully support eeepc.

Welcome to VL btw.

Hi.

Well i tried to get VL6-light on my eee. Downloaded iso and got it on usb stick with unetbootin. Installation went without issues. Waht worked: Sound worked fine. Intel video drivers loaded but set wrong res for my eee. Easy to fix tho. But 3d worked fine. Madwifi drivers should work but didnt. Downloaded drivers from madwifi and then got online. No ethernet. Downloaded those to. No webcam. Installed drivers from source. And worked fine.

So when I have updated all packages, installed skype, amsn I had acpi for eee missing, hotkeys didnt work except fn+3 and 4 I could use it for youtubing, skype, msn and so on.

I dont think it's to much work to get VL running fine without to much work on a eee. Mine is 900A with 16gb ssd. But default install need some tweaks in order to get it to boot faster. Because its to slow. And some services and packages aint for eee and could be removed for and eee distro.

Others that have tried VL on eee?

« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 06:03:50 am by ruien » Logged

blurymind
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 02:50:40 pm »

i have one of those eees at home and let me tell you what it needs to run alright:
- precompiled kernel with eee drivers (ubuntu has adams kernel)= sound,wifi and webcam will work out of the box
- media keys script for the special buttons
- some special eee modules+settings panel (there are debs for ubuntu) acpi..
- a slimmed down gui=
maximus (couldnt find any source code of that thing and there is a deb only for ubuntu again)
slimmed theme for the resolution- small icons,smaller everything
-compiz fusion is a must in my case with the eee,because it definatelly makes it easier to navigate windows and eliminates the task bar.In this case its not eye candy,its a must have on the eee,to make it easier to navigate (expose feature,also expo desktops)
- something like gnome-do/launchy/alt+f2-- in this case gnome-do and launchy make it easier to launch applications without the need of a start menu- you can also launch folders and files faster.. i think you will have to compile launchy yourself,you will need qt4 packages, gnome-do is out of the question for vector,because its dependent on mono
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 03:00:48 pm by blurymind » Logged

status: playing around with new tablet and learning to 3d :p
google page :  http://blurymind.googlepages.com
DA PAGE :  http://www.blurymind.deviantart.com/
ruien

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 08:41:27 pm »

Thanks for reply.

We have different goals for the eee Cheesy. I agree that a precompiled kernel is needed but compiz, launchy and maximus is not needed for running linux on eee. Its a matter of taste. Not if your goal for a eee distro is speed and a full responsive linux desktop. I have tried all the distro's out there including buntu with adams kernel and arch linux(toofishes kernel-eee) and none of them is fast and responsive. In fact, nlited XP is faster than those linux distro's for eee. Only Debianeee is fast. I can have this eee boot X and be online in 17-20 secs without to much tweaks just by follow their wiki. If you read the eeeuser forum people are happy if they can get their eee to boot X in 1 minute(eeexubuntu)!!  Shocked. I would rather use my N95 to get online. Its faster. Orginal Xandros boot in around 30 secs with finit(in simple mode). Thats to slow for a machine designed to be up and running fast everywhere you go.  Acpi-eee source and scripts for special keys are not that hard to find and compile/use on any linux distro.

Well, anyway. VL6 runs and i got the hardware work(now including acpi) and i know i would get the rest sorted out.

Just sharing my experiences with VL on eee  Grin

« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 08:47:55 pm by ruien » Logged

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 10:25:18 pm »

I apreciate your sharing.  I'm finally going to spend the money and buy an Eee PC in the next few weeks and I find it very encouraging that VL can work with the Eee fully functional.  VL is never the fastest to boot.  I can live with that.  It's the speed once it's up and running that I want.  Oh, and yes, that means no Compiz for me Smiley

I'd be curious to know if anyone tried Foresight Linux' EeePC build and how fast (or slow) it is.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 01:16:01 am »

Many netbook users (including me Cheesy ) use tiling window managers to maximize screen useful area.  Most tiling wm have great support to navigate windows with keyboard without needing to touch that tiny touchpad.

We have at least a couple of those wm in the repos being ratpoison and awesome wm .  IIRC pekwm is there too (not tiling but tabbed, and with good keyboard support)

HTH,

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 07:11:02 am »

Yes pekwm is a tiling WM.  I use it (with fbpanel added) on my Libretto which has a 7.4" screen and a 640x480 resolution.  It does a great job at making that itty bitty laptop useable and is very lightweight.

Another good choice is ion.  We can't package it because of the licensing requirements, unfortunately.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

ruien

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 07:36:31 am »

I'd be curious to know if anyone tried Foresight Linux' EeePC build and how fast (or slow) it is.

I haven't tried Foresight. But a few have and they was not that impressed. So i didnt bother to try.
Look at this: http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=44217

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2008, 06:29:25 pm »

I ended up buying a Sylvania g netbook instead of an EeePC.  I thought it was a better value for the money.  I'm not at all disappointed with it.

I've been working with the VL developers, mainly Vector and Uelsk8s, giving them feedback on VL6 rc1 on this netbook and they have been making changes to insure the hardware is well supported and doing a great job of it.  You might want to install rc1 if you haven't already and report any issues in the bug thread.  It really seems like VL6 will support netbooks well if we give the developers the feedback they need.

BTW, I've found VL6 to be very fast on my Sylvania g, at least when I use vcpufreq to let the processor run at a full 1.2GHz.  The default setting is 600MHz (much like the original EeePC 701) which is sluggish.

HarryB

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2009, 04:56:52 am »

I see this thread has gone dead for a while, so here's hoping I can reignite it. I've just acquired an Asus eee PC 1000 and contrary to some of the gumph in here I didn't buy it because it would come up in 30 seconds. I bought it because I'm pig sick of lugging a full size laptop around all the time, and it's a fantastic little PC with an even better batter life (put a 12 cell on it and get 10 hours of battery life!).

Xandros sucks. The "user-friendly" Xandros on the Asus sucks even more. Rather than muck around trying to get the so-called "expert" Xandros desktop, I've been experimenting with various Linux builds and now I've come to VL, only to find that no-one's interested.

This absolutely cracks me up, as clearly you aren't aware of the possibilities if you could produce a really rocking distro for this box - there's a few hundred thousand linux newbies out there that would be very interested.

Funnily enough, the one distro that seems to work really well with the Asus? Windows 7.

And people wonder why Linux can't compete with Microsoft. I think it's obvious. The opposition is far too splintered.

Anyway, I'm going to have a go at getting VL working on it, on the basis that if it really is too much trouble, I can just bin it.

But I would like to say that it shows a singular lack of imagination and enthusiasm to discard this wonderful little netbook in such a dismissive manner.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: