VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 02:29:53 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: (SOLVED) Help installing from hardrive - total newb here...  (Read 2581 times)
I_See_Dead_Pixels

« on: October 16, 2008, 06:05:59 pm »

Hi all.

Totally new to linux. Please help.

I wish to install Vector Linux on a Fujitsu B2175 (it has no cdrom nor floppy). It use to run windows 2000 very well and windows XP slowly.

Here's what I have done so far.

Since it has no cdrom, I am trying to follow the installation instructions to install from the HDD. The laptop currently has no operating system. I did manage to copy the image of vector linux 5.9, as well as other files stated in the hdd installation procedure (i.e. loadlin, etc).

Here are the instructions I'm trying to follow:

"""""""""""""

This is a new method that will save you having to burn a CD. Assume that you already have Windows running on the computer, and the partitions have been prepared as suggested above.

* Download your iso of choice as described above. Move it to the top level directory (C:\ or D:\). Don't forget to check its integrity as explained previously.
    * You MUST now rename the iso to follow DOS 8.3 filename specs (e.g. VL58.ISO, not vl58.1.24vl5.iso), and the filename should be all capital letters.
    * The next files should be placed into C:\loadlin
          o loadlin.exe
            Get it from “install/loadlin/” directory within the FTP site.
          o initrd.img
            Find it as “isolinux/initrd.img” within the FTP site
          o The kernel file that matches your system (ide, scsi, sata, adaptec)
            You may select one of them from “isolinux/kernel/” directory within FTP site.

Then proceed with the installation:

* Shutdown Windows to DOS mode.
    * Type “cd C:\loadlin” <enter> (without quotes)
    * Type “loadlin ide root=/dev/ram rw initrd=initrd.img” <enter> (without quotes).

You should replace the “ide” with the name of the kernel that you downloaded earlier. The standard installation process will be started.

"""""""""""""""

Here's what I dont get. the instructions say that I should download "The kernel file that matches your system"

Since I'm new to linux, I'm not sure what that means (the only "kernel" I know is on the side of a KFC box). I have been to the ftp site and listed all the "kernel files", but I dont know wich one to choose:`

kernel-2.6.21.5-i586-1vl60.tlz ?
kernel-modules-2.6.21.5-i586-2vl60.tlz ?
kernel-src-2.6.21.5-i586-1vl60.tlz ?

Is this it? If so, what do I choose? I have an IDE HDD. How is the average user suppose to know this stuff?

In any case, any help would be appreciated.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 11:36:32 am by I_See_Dead_Pixels » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2008, 08:23:34 pm »

You can get what  you need off the ISO image you downloaded. You can burn it to a CD or mount it using something like Isobuster.

Look in the /isolinux folder for "initrd.img".
In the /isolinux/kernel folder find the file called "sata". This is the kernel.

Follow the instructions you posted, except substitute "sata" for "ide" in the launch command.
I_See_Dead_Pixels

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2008, 04:23:16 pm »

Hello  Nightflyer.

Thanks for the help. I've tried to follow the instructions precisely, but it wont lauch the installer. Let me try to be as clear as possible.

I have a fujitsu b2175 (laptop). It use to run win2000 very well.

Since I wanted to try out linux, I chose Vector as it is said to be better then other distros for older computers.

Since the laptop has no floppy drive nor CD-ROM, I took out the hdd, i plugged it to my other computer as an external hdd using a usb device, partionned-it with partition magic (fat32), and copied all the requied files to it. So now, this is what I have on the HDD:

VL5.ISO  (the vl59 iso - renamed)
And a folder called "loadlin"

In that loadlin folder, I have the following 3 files:

loadlin.exe
initrd.img
sata

Ok... so now, according to the instructions, I have to type the following command line in dos mode (I boot the only way I can on this thing, that is from an external 3.5 floppy drive that contains a win98 boot disk and that allows me ro run DOS):

loadlin ide root=/dev/ram rw initrd=initrd.img

And then... I get an error message asking for the name of the kernel file.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks.
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2008, 04:39:42 pm »

looks like the kernel is called sata, but you are typing ide
try
loadlin sata root=/dev/ram rw initrd=initrd.img
I_See_Dead_Pixels

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2008, 05:45:58 pm »

Wo....

That worked. Thanks guys... I was just about to give up and reinstall win 2000.

Thanks
I_See_Dead_Pixels

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 10:36:42 am »

One thing...

I WAS able to install using the hdd method. I understand that the vast majority of people wont be facing this problem because they will install using a bootable cd-rom.

Still... for the odd total newb (like me) who has to use this procedure, I think that the instructions manual should be made simpler.

This sentence, to me anyways, made no sense:

"The kernel file that matches your system (ide, scsi, sata, adaptec)
            You may select one of them from “isolinux/kernel/” directory within FTP site."

First of all, the ftp isolinux/kernel directory contains lots of files, but none that are identifyed as "matching a particular system" (if this comment sounds dumb, I apologize)

Second: I have an IDE HDD, yet, the name of the kernel is SATA and the only way I could get it to work was by using the "sata" file.

I'M not sure if these comments make any sense to experienced linux user. But to me, all of this was confusing. I hope these comments can help make the procedure simpler. Unless I am mistaken, there is no such thing as a "kernel file that matches your system" other then this file called "sata". And if there are specific kernel files for specific systems, then it should be made clearer (for newbs) exactly where these files are, what are the precise filenames are, and why should one choose one file over the other.

Now... since my install was nonetheless successsful thanks to your help, I'm going to play with it now. First task: making wifi usb key work. Oh, the joy...

Thanks everyone for the help!
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 11:50:40 am »

I;m glad it worked out for you.  It would be really helpful if you can add [SOLVED] to the subject line so that folks looking to be helpful can skip this thread...

Thanks

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: