VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 06:06:51 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Make error with grisbi  (Read 2759 times)
StrayBit
Vectorite

« on: October 17, 2008, 05:24:19 am »

Attempting to compile gribi-0.5.9-i486-1chg.tgz plus its dependencies: latex-ucs-20040509-noarch-1gn.tgz and libofx-0.9.0.tar.gz

./config gave no error, then
  vector://home/bruce/grisbi/libofx-0.9.0
  root:# make
  cd .. && make  am--refresh
  make[1]: Entering directory `/home/bruce/grisbi'
  make[1]: *** No rule to make target `am--refresh'.  Stop.
  make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/bruce/grisbi'
  make: *** [../config.status] Error 2

Uh! What happened?  What do I do now?

Bruce

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 06:19:38 am »

Is that the complete output of make?

Usually when you see something like that, it is preceded by a  "No such file or directory"  message

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 08:24:41 am »

I tried making grisbi 0.5.9 here, and no problems.
I didn't see any dependencies either, and I don't have libofx.

I tried to make libofx as well (which is what is giving you the error, am I right?)
Make also went fine, with no errors.
Huh
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 04:06:17 pm »

I would have expected SOMETHING to say what was wrong also, MOE-lnx.  The
  vector://home/bruce/grisbi/libofx-0.9.0
  root:#
is the system prompt and make was my command, the rest, through Error 2, was make output.

After reading your message wcs, tried making grisbi from thunar and received no errors.  But I can't find it any where on the system, the menu, nor any of the directories.  Since I am operating as root when I installed it (and still am), I'll log back as Bruce and see if it shows up.

Back in a few...

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 04:15:50 pm »

I switched to my user account and back to root: no sign of it in either place!  Xfce4 AppFinder didn't find it in either logon.

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 05:04:51 pm »

I just tried after extracting the grisbi tarball:
Code:
./configure --prefix=/usr
make
su (to go to root)
make install
exit (to go to user)
grisbi

And it starts.
The program doesn't contain a .desktop file and that's why it doesn't show up in the menus... You would have to make one of those yourself.

I wouldn't worry about those dependencies unless you want to open ofx files. The latex one is for printing unicode, but I was able to print just fine as well.

I might package it in a few days and submit it to the repositories.
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 06:21:09 pm »

vector:/~
root:# grisbi
grisbi: error while loading shared libraries: libofx.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Hmmm! Huh

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 07:20:53 pm »

Do you have libofx installed?

I didn't and it worked  Huh

Maybe you did have it installed and it was detected at configure... but then there is some missing library.
That could be because grisbi recommends 0.8 and you have libofx 0.9.

I'm just guessing here, but because I got no such error, I would say grisbi doesn't actually need libofx to run.

You can search for libofx files in your system with slocate or find and post what's going on.

Alternatively, if you don't care about ofx files, remove libofx and do configure, make, make install again.
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2008, 05:03:42 am »

root:# slocate libofx
root:# slocate libofx*
root:# slocate libofx*.*
root:# find libofx
find: libofx: No such file or directory
root:# find libofx*
find: libofx*: No such file or directory
root:# find libofx*.*
find: libofx*.*: No such file or directory
root:#

The same results if I 'cd ..'

The only thing I can add to my first post is my directory structure:
/home/bruce/grisbi/libofx-0.9.0/
                   grisbi-0.5.9-i486-1chg.tgz
                   latex-ucs-20040509-noarch-1gn.tgz
                   libofx-0.9.0.tar.gz
                   opensp-1.5.1-i686-1ak.tgz

libofx-0.9.0/ contains 495 items 8.7Mb

I don't know why 'make' dropped back a directory.  I hadn't even unpacked the other files at the time of that 'make'.

When I right click on *.tgz, thunar offers the option to install.  It only offers to unpack *.qz or *.tar.gz.

Also, before you comment on my working as root, the other evening I apparently mis-typed my password to 'sudo su' twice and Linux would no longer let me even start that command.  So, rather than log off and lose all of my windows to log on as root, I just stay here.

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 08:23:16 am »

Ok, I think I uderstand what's going on.

Those .tgz packages you got from the grisbi website are already compiled for slackware.
No need to do "make" or anything like that. They're already the binaries, not the source.

You can install them directly with:
Code:
su
installpkg <name of package>
Or by right-clicking in thunar and choosing install.

It is VERY likely that they will work just fine in Vector, so no need to do anything else.
Just install all of them.

What happened is that you extracted the .tgz package instead of installing it (I think).
The libofx problem is because you're starting the grisbi slackware binary, and that was compiled with support for ofx files.

If you want, just for the kick of it, you can have a shot at compiling the source (not sure if you get kicks out of compiling source code, but hey, sometimes I do). In which case delete whatever you downloaded before, download the grisbi source package (and only that) at the top of the download page here (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/grisbi/grisbi-0.5.9.tar.bz2?download), extract the contents with thunar, then do exactly as I described above and you will have installed it as well.

root:# slocate libofx

Now for the searching.
Slocate searches a database of the files on your system, and is very fast, provided the database is  updated. To update it, do (as root):
Code:
slocate -u
slocate libofx
No need to use the asterisks, I think. "slocate -i" does a case-insensitive search, so that's useful as well.

You can also use catfish, if you have it in your system, which will give you a graphical interface.

root:# find libofx

Yea, find is a pain...  Smiley In order to actually find a file called libofx you would have to type something like this:
Code:
find . -name libofx*
(for a search starting in the directory you are at the moment and all subdirectories)

You can also use catfish to search with find. Or you can use gtkfind. You should have it in your start menu, no?

Hope this helps.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2008, 08:32:28 am »

Also, before you comment on my working as root, the other evening I apparently mis-typed my password to 'sudo su' twice and Linux would no longer let me even start that command.  So, rather than log off and lose all of my windows to log on as root, I just stay here.

The way it works in vector and most other distributions (except ubuntu and the like), is:
1. You don't use "sudo" (unless you actually need it and configure it properly). Forget it for now.
2. You use "su" from a terminal to go to root. Type only "su" and nothing else. Insert your root password.

You become root inside a terminal, do what you need, and then close the terminal, or type exit.
When you start a program like gslapt and you're asked a password, you're also starting that program as root.

3. No need to login as root in your login manager.

At least for me, this applies virtually all the time, but other people may have different needs.
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2008, 01:03:12 pm »

I cleaned out all of the files that I had downloaded after running gslat to remove anything that might have been installed - I even took the files out of .Trash-0.  Downloaded from the link you provided and extracted the tar ball.
  vector://home/bruce/actg/grisbi-0.5.9
  root:# ./configue --prefix=/usr
  bash: ./configue: No such file or directory
I did verify that /usr exists and that I wasn't using the DOS \.  Opps! It works better if one doesn't misspell the command!

root:# ./configure --prefix=/usr
  checking ...
 Boy! Is that make a long one!  Thank you MOE-lnx.  Now, all I have to do is get it to use American currency instead of European.

BTW:  Thank you for letting me know what catfish does.  That's one of the hard things about learning Linux, the names seem to have no bearing on what they do.

Also, I have written and compiled many small utilities in DOS but the compiler was NOT strict at all and my programs would crash with no indication of the problem when I tried making larger programs.  Trying to compile with VC1.5 told me what was wrong but I couldn't figure out how to get it to make the conversion between foo[] and *foo.  VC4 was worse as it would reference variables that, as far as I could see, weren't even there.

Now to get into the Networking section and find why Linux and Samba won't talk to my Win200 or Win 95 machines.

HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2008, 04:16:42 pm »

BTW:  Thank you for letting me know what catfish does.  That's one of the hard things about learning Linux, the names seem to have no bearing on what they do.

Yea, come to think of it...  catfish?!  Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: