VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 04:34:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 081020 openoffice.org-3.0.0 [VL 5.9]  (Read 2776 times)
caitlyn
Vectorian

« on: October 19, 2008, 11:41:16 pm »

JohnB316 has packaged openoffice.org 3.0 for VL 5.9 and VL 5.9.1.

Package: openoffice.org-3.0.0_en_US-i586-1vl59.tlz
MD5: c84bb2e964c752ba0d95bdca6aaf748d
Package Size: 99.42 MB
Installed SIze: 324.57 MB

Sources: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/source/testing/office/openoffice.org

Code:
[openoffice.org: OpenOffice.org Office Suite
openoffice.org:
openoffice.org: OpenOffice.org is a full-featured open-source office suite
openoffice.org: that is compatible with all other major office software.
openoffice.org:
openoffice.org: Homepage: http://openoffice.org
openoffice.org:
openoffice.org:
openoffice.org:
openoffice.org:
openoffice.org:/code]

After testing this package, please take a moment and come back to this thread to let us know how it works for you.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
toothandnail
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2008, 04:54:20 am »

I like this version - much faster startup. Looks good, though I am having a major problem with spell checking. It says it has installed English UK, but doesn't seem to be able to spell check anything. Can't activate the autocorrect, and the normal spell check doesn't give me the ability to check anything - just comes up with a 'spell check complete' box, and closes as soon as OK is touched.

Smiley This may be me doing something silly. I'll try letting it spell US and see if that works, then try again to get it to talk English.

paul.

paul.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2008, 05:55:27 am »

I'm having the same problem with spell checking as toothandnail.  It looks like dictionaries are supposed to installed as extensions starting with OO.org 3.0.  When I get some time I'll try to figure out how to do this and report back.

Thanks JohnB316, caitlyn, toothandnail.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2008, 06:36:07 am »

Here are a few things that might help:

A brief how-to on installing extensions in OO.org 3.x:

http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/resources/user/howto_install

On my machine, the English language extension was in:

/opt/openoffice.org3/share/extension/install

The English dictionary I found there was the file:

dict-en.oxt

I used the Extension manager to add the dictionary.  After that I had to restart OO, but then spell checking worked.

I still haven't found extensions for the varieties of English (UK, Australia, Canada, US, etc.) but will add another post when/if I find something.

Addendum:  There are extensions for Canadian and Australian English at http://extensions.services.openoffice.org, along with a few other languages.  No luck so far with finding a UK English extension.

Addendum II:  toothandnail, and all other UK English users (the Queen's, dontcha know):  all that needs to be done is to set your language preferences (under Tools -> Options -> Language Settings -> Languages) to look like this.

The "dict-en.oxt" will need to be added to your extensions beforehand.  It looks like with this extension UK and US English are rolled together, and spell checking is done based on your language settings.  After I changed my settings to UK, "honour" wasn't flagged but "honor" was.  I tried a few other words (aluminium, colour, etc.) and they were all right as well.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 07:40:16 am by tomh38 » Logged

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
toothandnail
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2008, 09:20:31 am »

Addendum II:  toothandnail, and all other UK English users (the Queen's, dontcha know):  all that needs to be done is to set your language preferences (under Tools -> Options -> Language Settings -> Languages) to look like this.

The "dict-en.oxt" will need to be added to your extensions beforehand.  It looks like with this extension UK and US English are rolled together, and spell checking is done based on your language settings.  After I changed my settings to UK, "honour" wasn't flagged but "honor" was.  I tried a few other words (aluminium, colour, etc.) and they were all right as well.

Grin Great, thanks. That did it. I was prepared to live with Australian English (its almost Quen's), but that gets me real UK spelling. They did make it hard this time round.

So far, in all other respects, the package looks excellent. I'm amazed at how much faster the Go ooo version is loading (I've got the standard 3.0 under Zenwalk - having the same problems with spelling there, which I may hopefully be able to solve now).

Now I'll have to see how it takes to my other extentions - the mini-invoice stuff is something I need to get working again as soon as possible....

paul.
caitlyn
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2008, 10:58:10 am »

It sounds like there should be a way to automate adding the spell checking extension in the build script.  We may have to look into that.  Then there is the little issue of language packs and dictionaries for other languages....

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2008, 01:45:53 pm »

caitlyn,

I don't see any reason why spell checking couldn't be automated ... but I have no idea how to do that so I can't be of help there.  As it is, this version of OpenOffice comes with three dictionaries:  English, French, and Spanish.  Other dictionaries are available as extensions on the openoffice.org extensions site (http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/dictionary?page=1).  You don't have to register to download extensions, but it looks like the licenses they're distributed under might vary somewhat.  At least some are available under the GPL, but others are listed as "not specified."  I hope that doesn't present a problem.

Thanks for your work on this.

Tom

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 02:00:30 pm »

I'm impressed!
OOO 3 is actually running a Visual Basic Excel macro with no problems at all....

I don't know if this is courtesy of Go-OO (which they say has better VBA compatibility) or just "normal" for openoffice.
I haven't used OOO in a long time, and didn't actually expect it to run a big Excel macro with no migration.

I'll let you know when it finishes the processing. Smiley

(It seems somewhat slower than Excel running it though.)
sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 04:16:57 am »

Upgraded to oOO 3.0.0 about a week ago and after following above instructions to get spell checker working all was well.

Today I upgraded Opera from 6.1 to 6.2 and at the end of the install I received the following message:

Could not parse file '/usr/share/applications/openoffice.org3-extensions.desktop'
 : No such file or directory

Looking in the above directory there appears to be a broken link with the name openoffice.org3-extensions.desktop.....I'm not sure if this is as result of the oOO upgrade but thought I should post here just in case.

By the way deleting the broken link seems to fix the issue.

Chris
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 04:23:35 am by sparkyhall » Logged
alec

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 01:54:59 am »

How do I install regular version of OOo3?
Some configuration file settings don't seem to work for this one.
I have problem with locking files for editing on my sshfs mount. It should be possible to turn off locking, but somewhy go-oo doesn't react to editing the corresponding setting.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 10:13:19 am »

Right now it looks like there aren't any packages of the regular OOo3 that would work with VL 5.9.  You can get a non-distribution specific version - OOo_3.0.0_LinuxIntel_install_wJRE_en-US.tar.gz from here.  You would need to unpack it and then follow the installation instructions.  If you decide to go that route and need help with installation, post a question under "Software" or "Vectorbie" and I'll help you out.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 10:21:38 am by tomh38 » Logged

budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2008, 07:33:47 pm »

Thank you very much Tom for investigating spell check issue. Get it working for me now.
I also downloaded Russian dictionary and so far it all works nicely(still, I have to manually jump between the two. Would be really nice if it can auto detect the language I am typing. But maybe it can, right now I just don't have much time to find out.)

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: