VectorLinux
July 30, 2014, 09:05:18 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: VL6-Light Alpha  (Read 34199 times)
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #45 on: November 08, 2008, 03:04:27 pm »

I've built a new mozilla-firefox package with exeterdad's original script modified by eauster.  It works without crashing and doesn't have some of the interesting dependency problems of the previous package

UPDATE:  I take it back.  My package crashed and burned as well... repeatedly.  I'll try building it again without stripping and see if that helps.  Hey... at least the language packs are built now...  I'll keep you posted.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2008, 03:17:06 pm by caitlyn » Logged

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2008, 10:17:09 pm »

I  tried to install VL-6-light-alpha from the hard drive. Installation aborted toward the end claiming it cannot find vmlinuz. Upon checking sure enough there was no vmlinuz in /boot.
I then put my boot partition into fstab with kernel-2.26.6 and was able to finish the installation and booting into the box.

First impression very good.

-- Printer printing.....surpise, surprise
-- Sound sounding
-- Siag, now what..OK siaging, after I fed it the libneXaw library

Not so good

-- xterm does again not have the function of Alt-some-key for special characters. This is very important for me and I cannot understand why this has to be absent in VL when it is present in other slackware boxes. I cannot move on to higher VL versions on account of this.

-- at claims I have no permission to use it. That's new in VL.

-- I cannot log-out of icewm. The Logout seems to be disabled on the panel. Had to use Ctrl-Alt-BackSpace.

-- MC does not allow viewing iso files anymore.

Regards
Keep up the good work and hopefully have those small anoying bugs fixed.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2008, 06:04:14 am »

Thank you for testing. May I have some more information to aid in troubleshooting?

Installation aborted toward the end claiming it cannot find vmlinuz.

Which drive/partition did you install to (hda1, hdb3 etc)?

-- xterm does again not have the function of Alt-some-key for special characters.

I presume this may be controlled by the file ~/.bashrc. Do you know which entries are needed, or do you have a working file from another installation that you can post here?

-- I cannot log-out of icewm. The Logout seems to be disabled on the panel. Had to use Ctrl-Alt-BackSpace.

Kinda stumped on that one. Is it the same with root account and any user?
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2008, 06:51:24 pm »

Thank you for testing. May I have some more information to aid in troubleshooting?

Installation aborted toward the end claiming it cannot find vmlinuz.

Which drive/partition did you install to (hda1, hdb3 etc)?

I installed into hdd6 my standard testing partition.

When I look at the iso file, it is the 012 version in directory isolinux there is no init.gz file.

-- xterm does again not have the function of Alt-some-key for special characters.

I presume this may be controlled by the file ~/.bashrc. Do you know which entries are needed, or do you have a working file from another installation that you can post here?

I do not know which entries are needed. I copied now the file .bashrc from my home which I use for VL5.8 and slackware-12.1 where I have that function working in xterm and it will not work now in 6-light-alpha.

Now I just found that logged-in as root in xterm Alt-some-key gives me my needed special characters. Hope you can tell me now how to get that as user.

I copied /root/.bashrc to my home and I do not get the special characters anymore in xterm. Huh

Kinda stumped on that one. Is it the same with root account and any user?

It is the same in root. Clicking on Logout>logout, the logout will be disabled and does not logout.

Further note to Caitlyn, dilllo gives first those black pages when opening a website. Do you have this too?

I just added now my working /home directory which I use in VL5.8 and slackware-12.1 and I get the special characters in xterm and icewm does logout. Clicking Logout>logout it shows a window asking to proceed or cancel. That window does not show up in alpha home or root.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 07:09:29 pm by Pita » Logged
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2008, 08:08:58 pm »

I didn't build the dillo package for 6.0, only 5.9.  Dillo works perfectly for me -- no black pages.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #50 on: November 10, 2008, 03:43:42 am »

When I look at the iso file, it is the 012 version in directory isolinux there is no init.gz file.

The initrd used is called initrd.img.
Would you try copying a file from the ISO to your hard drive and see if this works:
Copy file [iso]/isolinux/kernel/sata -> [hdd6]/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26.7
Then re-run vliloconf and see if it picks it up.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #51 on: November 10, 2008, 11:29:03 am »

I can now confirm a previously reported bug -- installation of a 0.12 fails if you deselect the dev packages.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #52 on: November 10, 2008, 10:02:37 pm »

I just added now my working /home directory which I use in VL5.8 and slackware-12.1 and I get the special characters in xterm

Would you post the contents of the .Xdefaults file in that working directory?
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2008, 10:57:31 pm »

The initrd used is called initrd.img.
Would you try copying a file from the ISO to your hard drive and see if this works:
Copy file [iso]/isolinux/kernel/sata -> [hdd6]/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.26.7
Then re-run vliloconf and see if it picks it up.

I did and and it booted, I am in there now.

Can confirm that icewm will not lock-out both as user and as root. After 3-finger-salute the concole shows following error message:
/home/peter/.icewm/shutdown-dialog.sh: line 38: gtkdialog: command not found

Further opera is so uge it does not fit the screen. How can I reduce that?
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #54 on: November 11, 2008, 12:54:17 am »

I just added now my working /home directory which I use in VL5.8 and slackware-12.1 and I get the special characters in xterm

Would you post the contents of the .Xdefaults file in that working directory?

My connection was just cut for more than one hour.

Here is my .Xdefaults:
!aterm*font: 6x10
!aterm*font: 7x14
!aterm*font: 8x13
aterm*font: 9x15
!aterm*font: 10x20
aterm*geometry: 80x32
aterm*background: darkblue
aterm*foreground: white
aterm*transparent: true
aterm*tinting: cyan
aterm*shading: 70
aterm*fading: 90
aterm*scrollBar: true
aterm*scrollBar_right: true
aterm*transpscrollbar: true
aterm*termName: xterm

Could that be the cause of xterm not behaving properly?
In VL6-Light I copied now the root .Xdefaults to the users home. Have not tried
it out since I went back to VL5.8 where I have the monitors for Internet connection.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #55 on: November 11, 2008, 07:43:37 pm »

It's missing "gtkdialog", a package which should have been automatically installed. If you look in the CD image, it is in "packages/required". Try re-installing that package and see if it helps.

Try holding down the "Alt" key, left-click-and-drag the window. If it does not move, click the "restore" (middle) symbol in upper right corner and try again. It doesn't change shape, but the mouse-over text changes. Once you move it to where you can reach the grab handles in the corners, use those to re-size it. Also try hitting Alt-Space for more options.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #56 on: November 11, 2008, 07:52:40 pm »

Could that be the cause of xterm not behaving properly?

The file .Xdefaults does control the behavior of xterm, yes. The difference between the one for root and user is the first block of text referring to Xterm, down to the line that starts with #Urxvt settings. There are settings in there that I customized for font size, scrollbar and colors. One of the lines in that block is responsible for changing how the Alt key works. Now it's just a matter of finding which.   Wink
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #57 on: November 11, 2008, 09:12:10 pm »

I've had no luck installing alpha 0.12 on my Toshiba Libretto SS1010 (Pentium 233MMX, 64MB RAM).  It took me a long time to figure out how to install 5.9 Lite or Mini on it and the same kernel parameters just don't work for 6.0.  The machine has no bootable CD and the VL installer won't recognize any of the external devices I have (USB, PCMCIA CD-ROM, CF->PCMCIA converter), none of which are bootable.  I'm always stuck with a hard drive based install which barely fits.  My methodology was to add the installer kernel and initrd to the /boot directory of my Damn Small Linux install and edit grub to launch the installer at boot.  I also tried installing using loadlin from an itty bitty DOS partition I created.  In either case the result was that as soon as the initrd was loaded the box rebooted itself.

Kernel parameters which did work with 5.9:

mem=63M vga=786 load_ramdisk=1 ramdisk_size=24000 rw root=/dev/ram

The machine actually has slightly less than a true 64MB.  The problem I ran into with 5.9 was that the kernel would panic (vfs couldn't sync the ramdisk) and adding mem=63M fixed that.  If I remove that parameter I run into the same problem with 6.0.  The vga=786 specifies 640x480, which is all the little 7" screen can handle.  The rest is pretty standard when using loadlin and VL.

If you have any clues what might be different about the current initrd.img and what I might try I'd certainly be willing to do some more testing.  VL 5.9 LIght runs pretty darned well on this 10 year old itty bitty box but was very cramped for space.  The Mini build works much better and I hope to remaster 6.0 Light to create a new Mini build.

Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #58 on: November 11, 2008, 10:50:49 pm »

It's missing "gtkdialog", a package which should have been automatically installed. If you look in the CD image, it is in "packages/required". Try re-installing that package and see if it helps.

The file gtkdialog was not installed into /usr/local/bin.  I put it in now  and logout works.

Try holding down the "Alt" key, left-click-and-drag the window. If it does not move, click the "restore" (middle) symbol in upper right corner and try again. It doesn't change shape, but the mouse-over text changes. Once you move it to where you can reach the grab handles in the corners, use those to re-size it. Also try hitting Alt-Space for more options.

I think I had tried it all and could not move the bugger. Put now a smaller theme and was finally able to adjust the size to my liking. It was so big I could not even see the right corner controls much less grab a corner.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 05:13:24 pm by Pita » Logged
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #59 on: November 13, 2008, 12:17:16 am »

Installed firefox-3.0.3 from the repository. It keeps on crashing.

Replaced it with the official version from firefox download. No more crashes.
Flash-10 produces picture, however, no sound.

Dillo behaves now properly.

I installed xfce4 and fluxbox and I feel like being home now in this box.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: