Please support VectorLinux!

Author Topic: Vector doesn't remeber wireless  (Read 1867 times)

celticbhoy

Vector doesn't remeber wireless
« on: October 23, 2008, 12:53:14 pm »
I have set up Vector on my old laptop and everything is working well apart from my usb wireless dongle. When I set it up using VASM and connect to my home broadband everything is fine. But when I re-boot the laptop I have to set it up again, well thats not strictly true, I dont have to re-install the ndiswrapper driver, but Vector thinks I have no wireless until I run VASM, and it probes modules. How can I fix this problem.

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: Vector doesn't remeber wireless
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 12:57:12 pm »
Not sure which version you got installed, but if you're on 5.9 or newer, try using VLwifi

celticbhoy

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 01:01:46 pm »
Should I use that only after a reboot or will it work if I use it now. BTW using the latest version from the Vector web site downloaded two days ago.

celticbhoy

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 01:08:42 pm »
Just had a look, it runs the steps from your suggestion when I run VASM -> Select Network -> Select wireless, it probess modules, finds wlan0, then sets up the network. It just does not remember when I re-boot. Could it be to do with the ndiswrapper setup ??

M0E-lnx

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 01:14:13 pm »
VlWifi has an option to start the interface on boot
make sure that box is checked.

celticbhoy

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 01:53:43 pm »
It is checked by defualt and I leave it as it is. When I first set it up I had to blacklist another driver that ndiswrapper was assigning to my dongle. This is also the way I had to do it in Xubutnu, so I dont know is this is the cause of the problem. It is a Belkin Dongle and in every other distro I have had to do the same. ie blacklist the same driver each time, but this is the only time that wlan0 does not become active on boot.

budulay

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • NewComer
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 03:31:02 pm »
Hi
I did a bit of googling on this one.
I assume that the module you blacklisted is rt2570
First of all I googled the following phrase: "wlan0 reboot Belkin Dongle"
and I get to the following page: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-wireless-networking-41/wireless-configoverride-rausb0-win-driver-on-belkin-f5d7050-dongle-using-ndiswrappe-549232/
After some reading I found out about the blacklisted module.
Since you already blacklisted it I think you just need to get the ndiswrapper module to load on boot.(I get that from the link above).
Since I don't know how to load modules on boot I googled it and found whole bunch of pages. The most useful one, I think, is:
http://wiki.uni.lu/secan-lab/Automatically+load+kernel+modules+at+boot+time.html

Hope that helps.
Good luck.
VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!

caitlyn

• Packager
  • Vectorian
    • The Linux Works
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 03:59:47 pm »
If the issue is ndiswrapper not loading at boot time check it as follows:

As root, typee in:

lsmod | grep ndiswrapper

If you don't get a response it's not loaded.  The solution is simple if that's the case. Edit /etc/rc.d/rc.modules and add the line:

/sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper

That should solve the problem on reboot if the issue is a failure to load the ndiswrapper module.
eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1