VectorLinux
November 25, 2014, 09:02:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector doesn't remeber wireless  (Read 1774 times)
celticbhoy

« on: October 23, 2008, 12:53:14 pm »

I have set up Vector on my old laptop and everything is working well apart from my usb wireless dongle. When I set it up using VASM and connect to my home broadband everything is fine. But when I re-boot the laptop I have to set it up again, well thats not strictly true, I dont have to re-install the ndiswrapper driver, but Vector thinks I have no wireless until I run VASM, and it probes modules. How can I fix this problem.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 12:57:12 pm »

Not sure which version you got installed, but if you're on 5.9 or newer, try using VLwifi

celticbhoy

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 01:01:46 pm »

Should I use that only after a reboot or will it work if I use it now. BTW using the latest version from the Vector web site downloaded two days ago.
celticbhoy

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 01:08:42 pm »

Just had a look, it runs the steps from your suggestion when I run VASM -> Select Network -> Select wireless, it probess modules, finds wlan0, then sets up the network. It just does not remember when I re-boot. Could it be to do with the ndiswrapper setup ??
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 01:14:13 pm »

VlWifi has an option to start the interface on boot
make sure that box is checked.

celticbhoy

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 01:53:43 pm »

It is checked by defualt and I leave it as it is. When I first set it up I had to blacklist another driver that ndiswrapper was assigning to my dongle. This is also the way I had to do it in Xubutnu, so I dont know is this is the cause of the problem. It is a Belkin Dongle and in every other distro I have had to do the same. ie blacklist the same driver each time, but this is the only time that wlan0 does not become active on boot.
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 03:31:02 pm »

Hi
I did a bit of googling on this one.
I assume that the module you blacklisted is rt2570
First of all I googled the following phrase: "wlan0 reboot Belkin Dongle"
and I get to the following page: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-wireless-networking-41/wireless-configoverride-rausb0-win-driver-on-belkin-f5d7050-dongle-using-ndiswrappe-549232/
After some reading I found out about the blacklisted module.
Since you already blacklisted it I think you just need to get the ndiswrapper module to load on boot.(I get that from the link above).
Since I don't know how to load modules on boot I googled it and found whole bunch of pages. The most useful one, I think, is:
http://wiki.uni.lu/secan-lab/Automatically+load+kernel+modules+at+boot+time.html

Hope that helps.
Good luck.

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 03:59:47 pm »

If the issue is ndiswrapper not loading at boot time check it as follows:

As root, typee in:

lsmod | grep ndiswrapper

If you don't get a response it's not loaded.  The solution is simple if that's the case. Edit /etc/rc.d/rc.modules and add the line:

/sbin/modprobe ndiswrapper

That should solve the problem on reboot if the issue is a failure to load the ndiswrapper module.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: