VectorLinux
July 27, 2014, 07:56:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: usb stick question=solved  (Read 2108 times)
roywhite

« on: October 06, 2008, 08:26:43 pm »

How can I get the usb stick open in pcmanfm. It opens in xfe and I prefer pcmanfm. I can get it to open in pcmanfm by changing the exec line in the .desktop file but when I unmount it and then insert the stick the .desktop reverts back to the default xfe file manager. Anyone know how to make the change permanent?
thanks in advance. I'm running vl5.9 light rc5.
roywhite
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 09:04:49 am by roywhite » Logged

VL ADDICT-running 5.8
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 05:06:50 am »

You would need to edit the script "explorer"
On the command line, as root, run commands:
which explorer
This will tell you where the file is. Next,
mcedit /path/to/explorer
Now scroll down until you see a line something like:
GENERAL_EXPLORERS="xfe pcmanfm mc-term"
Change the sequence of the list, put pcmanfm before xfe
hit F2 to save, F10 to quit and try again
roywhite

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 09:03:12 am »

Thanks, Nightflier that was what I needed.
Happy Vectoring, roywhite

VL ADDICT-running 5.8
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 11:05:07 am »

@ Nightflyer
I had wondered around this question for so long.... kept asking myself why does vl-hot always go with xfe when pcmanfm is set as FM.

Maybe you should put this is a howto form. For the longest, I thought it was hardcoded into vl-hot, until I spoke to joe about it, and he said something about setting the exporer value, neither he or I had a clue how to do it or where.

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 11:56:16 am »

I experimented back and forth between pcmanfm and xfe. Reason why I eventually chose xfe as default was that it seems to refresh more reliably than pcmanfm. In other words, as soon as you unmount the drive, it will disappear in xfe. It is hit and miss in pcmanfm.

@roywhite: How does pcmanfm perform in this role for you?
roywhite

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 12:54:34 pm »

Nightflier, I have used pcmanfm for my file explorer with several different distros and I have never experienced any problem whatsoever with it. I prefer it over xfe because I am a visual person and I can understand pcmanfm better.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 12:56:57 pm by roywhite » Logged

VL ADDICT-running 5.8
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 08:49:35 am »

May I jump in here...

does the procedure mentioned above solve the problem of the USB stick showing up as mounted, but no icon appearing on the desktop when the stick is put in? The vl-hot explainer says it should do this, but my VL doesn't - even though all the lower level things I found seem to reflect the USB hub and devices working, being removed, etc - even recognizing the manufacturer/device code. (Sorry, this is off the top of my head, so I don't recall the exact files, parms.)

Another newbie question, if you all don't mind...
once the USB device is recognized, where would I actually find the files themselves, say using MC or manually CD'ed to the directories?
(Since the icon didn't show up on the desktop, I tried to find it this way.)

thanks for the support...

- Howard in Florida

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2008, 02:20:10 pm »

The outlined edit does not affect vl-hot itself. If no icons show up on desktop, there is another problem. Note that you need to have desktop icons enabled for them to appear. In VL Light this is not the case in Fluxbox or Openbox.

You can see where vl-hot mounts the devices by entering command "mount" in a terminal. It will be in "/mnt/vl-hot/some_drive/some_partition".

For trouble-shooting, open a terminal, become root, issue command "tail -f /var/log/messages", then plug in the USB device and watch that terminal window.
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2008, 04:33:32 pm »

Thanks much, Nightflyer... I'll try your suggestion - Howard

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: