VectorLinux
November 27, 2014, 06:47:44 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Modules? slapt, rpm, etc...  (Read 1592 times)
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« on: October 24, 2008, 07:20:58 am »

Hi,

is there a good resource for understanding the differences in module loading tools across various distros?  I love Vector, but I'd also like to understand, for example, why RPM is used in Red Hat, but slapt (gslapt ... apt?) is used in Vector. Is slapt unique to Vector or to Slackware?

Is it difficult to get an RPM module into Vector?  Sorry, I can imagine this is a pretty common question... I did search, but didn't find much on it.

thanks a lot,
Howard in Florida
(GO VECTOR!)

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 07:27:06 am »

I guess you mean "package loading tools", because a module in Unix/Linux is a kernal driver routine. RPM's can sometimes be used in VL by running the Slackware package through the command line tool "rpm2tgz". They often work just fine.

Indeed, the different packaging systems in the various distros is confusing to newbies, essentially they are: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_package_formats

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Windozer
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 07:43:29 am »

Iagagnon,

thanks much for the very prompt reply!

[... ] different packaging systems in the various distros is confusing to newbies

Yes, newbie would be me, as I didn't even realize that a module is different from a package!  OK then, is a package always, non-kernal? Actually, I am interested in the kernal module features: my ultimate aim is to learn how to write my own device drivers and recompile the kernal.  (A reformed Window's guy here, who actually started out on BSD, and AT&TV --- wow, back to the future, or what!?)

Thanks too for the link ... I'll dig around there ... hadn't thought of wiki...

cheers,
-H

bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 08:04:58 am »

Here is a good start:

http://kernelnewbies.org/

HTH

Bigpaws
Windozer
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 08:34:53 am »

HTH

YTDH !
(Yes That Does Help Smiley)

thanks much, Bigpaws

- Howard

Windozer
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2008, 01:51:12 pm »

A Follow up ...

Bigpaws - the kernal newbies site is *exactly* the place for me now.

thanks again!

- H

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: