VectorLinux
July 28, 2014, 04:03:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Solution to gain contestants  (Read 8942 times)
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« on: October 24, 2008, 03:56:52 pm »

I keep thinking all the time of new ideas that might be good. So I was thinking, "what would be a great prize to draw in more contestants to the contests?"  I came up with the ultimate and greatest idea of them all. Instead of just talking about it, I thought that a picture would be worth many words, and so with that ...

« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 04:10:45 pm by Masta » Logged
EyesOnly

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 07:59:34 am »

I know this was posted over two months ago Masta and nobody bit. But I've got one dead computer, and am working from one dying computer. A hard drive that can't pass smartmontools actually LOL! And when you live on my "type of retirement"... need I say more?

So what's the catch? It sure must be difficult if no one's bitten in all this time. Grin

And BTW: I can't code and like the other threads I was reading in here, I, too, am graphically challenged. Kinda bad when you stop and think I was a former artist! LOL! (Come to think of it, a "former" lot of things... -sigh-)

-shakes head- I just can't believe in two months there's been nobody posting to ask, "What's the catch?" Not even someone new to VL wandering in... Wow.

Amicalement/Cheers!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a friend, or person, in need and heal them." (jimmymac)
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 09:04:13 am »

This thread is new to me.... for some reason I had not seen it even though I hang out here most of my time.

At any rate, when will we see a contest to win such a nice prize?

Dweeberkitty
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 03:16:23 pm »

Masta, what have you done?

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 05:04:45 pm »

If you're giving away a working, relatively modern computer system I definitely will be in the next contest.  I'm struggling to build a business here and extra hardware at no cost is a big deal to me Smiley

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2009, 08:24:22 pm »

is it too late to reply? lol.
I was just tossing out an idea. But wouldn't you like to have your system decked out VL style like that? Smiley
or to win one even!?
I don't know where to begin on getting an actual (real) computer to look like that, maybe a decal shop or something. Or maybe buy someone really pro with airbrush painting.
 I just thought the idea would be nice to toss out.
Dweeberkitty
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 06:43:15 am »

Haha, I kinda figured that. But some people thought you were serious.... Grin

Registered Linux User #443399
Desktop: Intel Pentium D 3.33Ghz, 320GB hard drive, 2 gigs DDR2 533mhz RAM, NVIDIA Geforce 7800 GS, X2GEN 22" widescreen monitor;
Laptop: Dell Mini 9, Intel Atom 1.6Ghz, 1GB ram
Multimedia Bonus Disc website: http://www.vectorlinuxsolutions.com/
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2009, 09:58:28 am »

...and some people don't get my sense of humor  Grin  (Dry wit?)

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2009, 12:02:49 pm »

... and some people, like me, don't get it at all  Cheesy (thinking there's still a *real* contest)  Roll Eyes

I don't know where to begin on getting an actual (real) computer to look like that, maybe a decal shop or something.

Yes, what about peel-and-stick labels --- like a car bumper sticker?  The smaller badge on the front, another for the bigger side, and one that's the mirrored-VL logo.  Getting a peel-and-stick for the entire side would obviously not work well --- too big, it would wrinkle.

Hey - why not have a real bumper sticker:

My other vehicle is VectorLinux
         www.vectorlinux.com/

or

NITRO Powered by VectorLinux

~~
  /___/ Cool __ VL| ~
<  O     O

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2009, 08:50:14 pm »

I confess, I drew all that up there (notice there is no chords , not even plugged into the outlet on the wall). There were a few that actually thought it was real, and I agree that it is hard to tell from looking on a computer screen if it is real or not. Made me feel really good and proud to have been fortunate enough in making such a close reality-like image (ok sort of close) Smiley  .. all in GIMP.

That gave me the idea of putting it on here Cheesy  ,,, but after really thinking about it, and if things were to fall in place, that's not actually a bad idea, if it could happen.

Hey, those are some nice looking bumper stickers there. Smiley
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 05:21:18 pm »

Quote from: Masta
[...] some nice looking bumper stickers there. Smiley

Thanks, Masta

but it's all your fault - you started this inspirational thread! Tongue Grin

cheers
- H
(Wonder what making a bumper sticker really costs... hmmmm)

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
GeneralError324

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 06:53:16 pm »

lol I like that ultimate VL machine, keyboard comes complete with the Windows keys.  Tongue

Good drawing for completely gIMP, is impressive.  Grin
Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 06:42:11 pm »

I borrowed parts for the keyboard and the monitor's base.
 It was taking too long to put keys in the rectangular box, So I cropped some out of different images and pasted them in there. I thought about removing that Windows logo from the Win Key, but decided to just leave it as it is common to keyboards.
 You will notice this by taking a closer look, and seeing that some of the keys are slightly offset, and don't completely match (example look at keys next to space bar, the space bar is off-textured from them .. I forgot to put lighting on it. Now, an even closer look and those win keys are too big).

I did try to think of ways to make it possible to have your own system decked out VL style. One ideas was to have custom vynils made to stick onto the case sides. This way one could maybe win (or perhaps purchase), the Vynil and add to their own case.

I guess what started out as a joke-image can actually be transformed into a reality. I will try looking around to what I can do to find ways to make some of this happen.
GeneralError324

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 07:09:36 pm »

Cool, images is good no need for an explanation, though it now brings to light how much work you put into it. :-)

We can always look to donations and such, though I don't know what type of computer could be donated, old P2's? lol, probably better to go the vynil route.  Ah well, I'm sure the contests will come as more people do, if I think of a good contest I'll post something.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: