VectorLinux
September 01, 2014, 10:22:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: updates to 5.9  (Read 6806 times)
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2008, 08:17:34 pm »

Oh...thanks for that..

Everything Is Relative
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2008, 10:06:55 pm »

As others have said, it's very difficult to tell what's new without Mark All Updates.
Code:
slapt-get --simulate --upgrade

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2008, 10:45:07 pm »

Or
Code:
slapt-get --upgrade -s
The same. Just faster to type.  Smiley
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2008, 05:22:02 am »

Thanks, I was too busy (lazy) to man slapt-get... Grin

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2008, 03:23:48 pm »

I don't like to use slapt-get. I can't remember the commands, which is why I shy away from the command line when I have a GUI alternative that *doesn't* require me to remember all that gobbledegook (apologies to those who live that stuff).  Wink

Anyway, I'm talking about Gslapt, not slapt-get. If Gslapt can't do the job (and the option has been there), why do we bother with it?
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2008, 04:48:08 pm »

I do use slapt-get for most of my package installs, upgrades, and yes, system-wide upgrades.  I do know the commands.  However, I am very much a visual person.  It's the way I learn and the way I absorb information best.  I just plain find it easier to use gslapt for checking out what's available.  gslapt is reliable and works well. 

I agreed with Granny Geek when she called disabling the feature "nannyism at its worst".  I even quoted that in my reviews.  We have to trust our users to make intelligent choices.  We don't disable root access, do we? 

Also, whatever complaints people may have about packagers and the repository maintainers (myself included) the fact is that things have, for the most part, been handled very well.  The proof of that:  the fact that for nearly two years now a system-wide upgrade within a given release has worked without breakage.  It's been just as safe in Vector Linux as in Fedora or Ubuntu or Mandriva or SUSE.  Heck, we've actually done better than a couple of those.  Of course, our repository is still smaller than the big distros but it has grown steadily larger over the past two years and , while we've had a few glitches or hiccups (mainly a missing dependency here and there because packages were moved at different times) there have been no major problems.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: