VectorLinux
July 23, 2014, 09:51:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Application Compatibility  (Read 776 times)
BlueFire

« on: October 25, 2008, 04:59:24 pm »

Hello,

I'm seriously considering switching  to Vector Linux from Ubuntu Studio ( it has a few too many bugs ). I've read that Vector doesn't as good of a application selection as other distros.
Can I find apps like CakePHP, Ruby, and Vim in the repositories?
I just want to be sure I can find all that I'm looking for o.k.
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 05:54:41 pm »

BlueFire:

Ruby 1.8.6 is there, as well as Vim 7.1.  I haven't been able to find a Vector Linux package for CakePHP (nor have I found a Slackware package for CakePHP - which would be almost as good).

Some of the good things about Vector:  Slackware packages (particularly application packages, as opposed to libraries, etc.) are almost always compatible with Vector.  If that doesn't help, there are at least two other options.  1.  You can build the package from source with vpackager (a very flexible application with an excellent GUI), or, if that doesn't work, 2. You can request that a package be built in the New Package Requests subforum (here http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?board=35.0).

If you choose to switch to Vector Linux, I think you'll find it very stable, with a wide variety of software either in the initial installation or available through slapt-get/Gslapt.  In my experience dependency resolution is handled very well.  Also, and this is very important:  the community here is excellent.  There are very many knowledgeable, helpful, and friendly people who are part of the Vector Linux community.

Happy Hunting!
Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: