VectorLinux
August 22, 2014, 07:24:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Solved]How to support Chinese  (Read 3964 times)
penelope

« on: October 22, 2008, 06:58:29 pm »

I found HOW-TO's for Japanese in the forum , so how can I read and input chinese? I can't open many file with chinese character name.
as caitlyn mentioned here :http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=7607.0
I will need to install some chinese fonts, where can I get them?
And also SCIM is good for me (I can use it to type simplified chinese and traditional chinese) , where can I get it ?

English menu is ok for me ,but If there is some methods to localize , it will be great.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2008, 05:48:46 am by penelope » Logged
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 07:43:36 pm »

For change the system locale for VL you can try as mentioned below link...

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/how-to-change-the-locale-by-setting-the-system-default-locale-188628/

SCIM is in VL repo but it seem it wil crash with FireFox......I use fcitx for chinese input..it is in the repo too....you can have a try Tongue
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 08:20:29 pm »

All the Chinese fonts which come with X.org are in the repository.  You can find them and install them with gslapt.

To localize for any language system-wide you have to edit /etc/profile.d/lang.sh  As root, edit this file with your favorite text editor.  There is a line near the top that reads:

Code:
export LANG=en_US

change that to either:

export LANG=zh_CN.UTF-8

--or--

export LANG=zh_TW.UTF-8

whichever is appropriate for you.  Also add the line:

export LC_ALL=zh_CN.UTF-8 (or)
export LC_ALL=zh_TW.UTF-8

Any applications , menus, help files, etc... that include appropriate Chinese translations will display in Chinese instead of English.  If you use KDE you will also want to install the appropriate KDE i18n package.  DItto koffice (i10n).  We also have aspell dictionaries and language packs for firefox, sunbird, and thunderbid in our repository.  You will ant to install all the relevant packages for the applications you use.

I hope this helps.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 08:28:26 pm »

i18n packages only available for KDE? how about xfce and other DE?
I never use the i18n packages, usually I just copy all the xxx.ttf font from my another windows system and copy it to /usr/share/fonts/TTF. Run fc-cache -fsv, then restart the PC.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 10:57:14 pm »

The i18n packages provide the translations for KDE.  The fonts are a separate issue.  As mentioned before, lots of Chinese font packages are in the VL repository.

Xfce translations are built into the main package.  The VL packages for Xfce (5.9 and 6.0) include all available translations.  I know for a fact that you can get Hebrew and French menus, for example.

I believe GNOME works the same way as Xfce.  No separate i18n packages are available.  Ditto LXDE, but the number of available translations is very limited.  Many of the minimalist window managers have either limited translations built in or simiply no translations available at all.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

hata_ph
Packager
Vectorian

-- Just being myself --

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 11:23:49 pm »

As mentioned before, lots of Chinese font packages are in the VL repository.

Pls provide me any available chinese font package at VL repo. Maybe I can test it out... Tongue
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 04:24:45 pm »

Xfce translations are built into the main package.  The VL packages for Xfce (5.9 and 6.0) include all available translations.  I know for a fact that you can get Hebrew and French menus, for example.

I don't seem to be able to get the "Accessories", "Settings", etc. menu categories in Portuguese.
The names of the programs inside xfce "Settings" are in Portuguese, but not the basic categories.

Is this the case for other languages as well?
penelope

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 05:49:37 pm »

yes, just few programs inside xfce "Settings" or other menu are in chinese , and some programs may be scrabbled (x file explorer ,xmms...)

so I want keep the English menu , just install fcitx for chinese input.

I am not sure which Chinese font packages  in the VL repository should install ,

dejavu-ttf-2.21-noarch-1.tlz ? how can I set my X default font?

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 07:24:33 pm »

dejavu-ttf is a Latin font, i.e.: used for English.  I'm surprised about the lack of Portuguese categories in Xfce.  I know that in Ubuntu I can get the categories in Hebrew but not in VL.  I suspect it's part of the way the package is built or else there is an additional setting that needs to be made.

When it comes to Asian language fonts I'm quite certain I don't know what all of them cover linguistically.  I **THINK** these may include (or else be just for) Chinese, but I could be wrong:

font-bh-* (there are a number of these)

I thought there were more but I don't see them in gslapt.  You may need to do a Google Linux search to find more.

penelope

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2008, 05:47:05 am »

I don't find chinese fonts in 5.9 VL repository .  font-bh-*  don't cover chinese too .
I found a chinese font named "文泉驿" in http://sourceforge.net/projects/wqy
and then install mlterm for supoort chinese charater in X window terminal.(xterm can't support chinese well)
then mount windows partitions with utf8 , files or dirs with chinese name work now.

(but there still  some  problem with vl-hot config ,I have change the vl-hot-config to use utf8 to mount my usb disk (ntfs),but seems not work , I have to umount it ,then manually mount it with utf8 option )
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: