VectorLinux
October 31, 2014, 05:26:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: [solved] corrupt vlconfig2.tlz  (Read 3626 times)
Jesse

« on: October 28, 2008, 06:30:18 am »

The installation runs smooth, until this error:

Cannot extract required/vlconfig2.tlz. Maybe the file is corrupt, or the partition is full.
The current installation is in unknown state.

After this, it tells me the installation is finished, but it gives an error when I want to boot it.
The PC I'm trying to install Vector Linux on has a flash hard disc of 2Gb, can that be a problem?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 01:41:44 am by Jesse » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 07:06:23 am »

2 GB is not enough for a full installation of any 5.9 versions.

VL 5.9 Light without all the optional packages uses about a gig and a half. This user successfully installed on a 2 GB HDD:
http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=7558.msg52270#msg52270
Jesse

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 07:08:39 am »

I actually need only a browser and a flash player, so I already skipped most packages... is there any more i can do?

edit Now trying with even less packages Smiley
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 07:19:38 am by Jesse » Logged
Jesse

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 07:49:58 am »

Installation seemed successful, but when booting the system I get the much explaining error message
Error loading operating system

Any ideas what to do about this?
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 08:08:23 am »

Did you get to the point in the install process where it asks you where you want to install LILO (the Linux Loader)? And if so, did you get a message that installing Lilo was successful?

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
Jesse

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 08:42:17 am »

Did you get to the point in the install process where it asks you where you want to install LILO (the Linux Loader)? And if so, did you get a message that installing Lilo was successful?
i kind of skipped lilo ...

edit: but yeah, i got to that point. Actually I thought it was just for multiboot systems...
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 09:42:53 am »

Nope, without lilo or grub you can't boot at all.  You don't need to reinstall, though.  Just boot from CD and the page that comes up should give you instructions on how to boot to the installer on the hard drive after that.  Once you're running from the hard drive you can run /sbin/vliloconf as root to configure lilo and install it.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Jesse

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 01:23:39 am »

Okay, did that Cheesy thanks fr the support!

Now i can come into a booting screen, which is letting me choose various boot modes (linux, tui, gui, 2.6.22.19)
Whatever mode mode i start i get: Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(22,1)
Except for the "2.6.22.19" mode, which actually gets me to the login screen (which seems larger than my screen resolution, so i only see half of it)
Further than that he wont go, though.
After logging in:
  • the screen turns gray,
  • turns black,
  • turns gray again but without cursor,
  • turns black,
  • gray with a blinking pointer,
  • gives a black screen with a bugged green bar on top (and a cursor),
  • shows a wait-type of cursor,
  • gets me back to the login screen.
Any help would be really comfortable Cheesy thanks in advance Smiley

Edit: i made just one partition. Should i make some kind of boot partition?
Edit: lol, i dnt even have a swap partition...... going for a reinstall, I'll post the results when done Smiley
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 01:55:23 am by Jesse » Logged
Jesse

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 02:56:05 am »

Well, i have a swap now, and it does make changes a bit... instead of a (graphical) login screen, i get a text based login screen, but now i also have a (text based) file manager.
All other modes than "2.6.22.19" still give me the Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(22,2) error, the only change is that the last block integer, which is now 2 instead of 1. My guess is that the swap partition now is numbered 1 and the unknown-block thing partition is #2.

PS: thanks again for all the support Cheesy

PPS: somewhere along the booting of "2.6.22.19" it tells me "setting up apm [failed]".... APM is the power management, right?
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 03:02:28 am by Jesse » Logged
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 05:05:43 am »

The additional kernel "2.6.22.19" was included just for this reason: in case the default one didn't work on some hardware. First of all I would make it the default boot choice. As root, type "mcedit /etc/lilo.conf" and find the line which says "default = linux" and change it to "default = 2.6.22.19". Hit F2 to save, F10 to exit. Then run "/sbin/lilo"

Next, if you already didn't do this, make text mode the default boot. Run "vasm" > xwindow > bootset > and check the top line (2 Text user interface desktop) > OK > back out of vasm.

By now you are well on your way. The command line interface is very powerful and from here you can start troubleshooting. One of the first things to do should be to run "mcedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf" and find a section called "Device". In that section, find a line
Driver    "something"
and change it to
Driver    "vesa"
Save and exit, then type "startx"
Report what you find.

Midnight Commander, that text based file manager, is a very powerful tool. I use it a lot myself, even when in X-windows  Grin
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 05:11:28 am »

apm is indeed power management. It is safe to ignore it for now.
Jesse

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 08:17:34 am »

xorg.conf seems completely empty (thats why X couldn't be started?)
By the way, how do I save or use any of those numeric commands in that editor? It must be some key combination but I can't find which one  Embarrassed

ps: really thanks for the help so far! Cheesy
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 08:52:03 am »

Your hunch is correct: with an empty xorg.conf, X won't start.    Wink

Try running the configurator: "vasm" > xwindow > xconf and see if it completes. If no errors, test it with "startx"

Not sure what you mean about "save or use numeric commands".. some basic commands are listed along the bottom (F1 for help, F2 to save etc..). Use F9 to bring up a menu at the top.
Jesse

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2008, 01:41:16 am »

Yeeeey the gui is finally working Cheesy

Many many many thanks Cheesy
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2008, 05:04:23 am »

Congratulations! Kudos for sticking with it, learning, and solving the problems.

A good next step would be to study /etc/lilo.conf and edit it so that you can select "TUI" using the 2.6.22.19 kernel. Might as well get rid of the other one too, as it is worthless on your system. Start a different thread for that if you need help.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: