VectorLinux
December 20, 2014, 01:58:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Change desktop background / start control center  (Read 1946 times)
Jesse

« on: October 30, 2008, 01:50:30 am »

Hi,

I (finally) successfully installed vector linux, and it's my first time working with this distro.

I'd like to change the (currently plain red) background. I thought my best chance was starting the control center, as there seemed no specific app for this task.
However, the control center won't start up.

I'm running the light edition, v5.9. See here for the installation process.

Any thoughts?
Many thanks in advance Smiley
Jesse

Edit: i googled a bit, but xsetbg seems not to work.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 02:07:35 am by Jesse » Logged
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 04:41:06 am »

I' (currently plain red) background. I thought my best chance was starting the control center, as there seemed no specific app for this task.
However, the control center won't start up.

Isn't red background the default for root? Login as root is a bad practice, unless you really want to do some maintenance (su/sudo/gksu/kdesu are more recommended though).

« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 05:08:56 am by kidd » Logged

nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 04:57:47 am »

Yes, the red background is there to indicate running as root.

In Light, the desktop is managed by the file manager pcmanfm. Open it and click Edit > Preferences > Desktop. You will find options for wallpapers and desktop color there.
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2008, 05:11:16 am »

gqview can change background too. I can't remember if it's installed by default in vl light.

can you try running vasmCC from a console and copy the error here?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: