VectorLinux
November 22, 2014, 12:40:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Could not find install media" - installing from a PCMCIA CDROM drive  (Read 4432 times)
seileef

« on: October 29, 2008, 08:38:08 am »

Hi, I'm trying to install VL Light 5.9 on a Vaio PCG-505V (an old machine--Pentium I, 300 MHz, 4.3 GB, etc) from an external PCMCIA CDROM drive.  On the setup screen, after choosing "find the media (HD/CDROM) and start the installation", I get "ERROR ERROR! I could not find the install media on the hard disk or the CDROM as well", followed by a little more text about the different options of installing. 

I tried probedisk, but it only listed the hard disk (no CDROM).  dmesg listed a whole lot of ACPI errors, and nothing about a drive other than the hard disk.  I'm very new to linux installs, and I couldn't find much related info on this, so I'm not sure what to try next.  Any ideas?
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 08:43:49 am »

I suspect the PCMCIA drive is not supported. A lot of those old laptops had proprietary controllers for external devices.

You still have several options. Some questions:
Is there a working OS on the computer right now (w98 or similar)?
Have you tried running a LiveCD?
Does it have a floppy drive that you can boot from?
seileef

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 08:57:33 am »

Ah, rats.  I currently have an installation of Debian (etch) on there.  What would be the route to go with that?  I'm not terribly familiar with partitioning, but because of the limited hard disk space, I'd like to dedicate as much of the drive to the primary OS (hopefully VL) as possible.

I found some LiveCDs of VL, but none of VL Light--do you know where one might be (if that would be preferable to the above route, that is)?  The machine doesn't have a floppy drive.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 09:57:12 am »

Try this one: http://vectorlinux.osuosl.org/veclinux-5.9/iso-release/VL5.9-Light-LIVE-B1.iso
It does have a hard drive installer, but it may need a little hand-holding. First of all just see if it runs okay.
seileef

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 04:53:23 pm »

OK, after booting off the LiveCD, I get some initialization lines, but then there's a fatal error:

Fatal error occured - VLIGHT data not found.
You are maybe using an unsupported boot device (eg. SCSI or old PCMCIA).
Workaround: Copy the directory VLIGHT from your boot device to an IDE/SATA disk, eg. to /mnt/hda1/VLIGHT or C:\VLIGHT. Then try to boot again.

Should I go ahead and try that workaround? 

I'm not sure if it'd be useful or not, but I should mention that the machine does have a USB port, which works fine with the current Debian install I have (in case a thumb drive would be useful for anything).  And, you might've already guessed this, but there's no ethernet port on the machine.  Thanks for all the help with this, by the way.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 06:17:25 pm »

Allright, we're narrowing down the options here then.

Since the box is already running Linux, you can use the "hosted install" procedure, which involves copying the ISO to the hard drive and installing from within Debian. You probably need to re-partition and/or re-size a partition on the drive to make room for VL, it will need at least 2 GB.

How did you get Debian on there in the first place?
Are you planning on keeping Debian and dual boot?

seileef

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 08:27:39 pm »

Cool, sounds good.  I wouldn't really have much use for Debian after this, so I'd ideally like to dedicate the entire hard drive to VL once this is finished. 

A Google search returned a few different ways to partition a drive while keeping the original OS intact--do you have a recommendation of the best way for a bit of a newbie to do it?  I installed Debian installed off of the CDROM drive--it was over a year ago, and I remember that there were a few small hiccups, but I forget exactly what they were.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 09:15:31 pm »

As far as I know, the partition that is being re-sized must be unmounted. In other words, you can not do it from within Debian on your machine. If you can get something like Gparted Magic to run off the cd-rom drive, it has a very nice gui tool for doing so.

Another option is to take the hard drive out of machine, connect it to another one and do the operation on the host OS.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 09:24:00 pm »

I've used the hosted install (vinstall-cd script) with a PCMCIA CD-ROM drive on a Toshiba Libretto SS1010.  It works well.  If you need a step-by-step let us know.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: