VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: new member with beginnerquestion  (Read 1431 times)

molen

new member with beginnerquestion
« on: July 27, 2009, 07:06:43 am »

Hello,
As new member I ask you wether Vector Linux  is suitable to use as alternative from Ubuntu? Thank you.

stretchedthin

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
    • Opensourcebistro.com
Re: new member with beginnerquestion
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 07:30:00 am »

I say yes, but in the long run the only one who can answer that question is you.  So much of choosing a distro is personal taste.  For me Vector ran faster on both newer and especially older hardware.  It offered all the software choices I used most often and had a great community.  I started with Ubuntu as well (still use Mythbuntu as my PVR), but I like a snappy and quick computing environment, so it was not long (about a year) before I had all my computers switched to either VL-gold or VL-light.
Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee

molen

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 06:08:35 am »

Is it possible to use dutch as language in VL?

rbistolfi

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 07:10:51 am »

Is it possible to use dutch as language in VL?

Yes. However, the translations are not complete. Some things like some menu entries and Vasm will remain not translated :(
I think you can live with that most of the time, my family uses it with no problems (we are Spanish speakers but they dont speak English.)

HTH
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 07:12:57 am by rbistolfi »
"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!

molen

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 03:27:44 am »

How can I download the dutch packages?

hata_ph

• Packager
  • Vectorian
  • -- Just being myself --
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 04:02:23 am »

Hiero2

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 12:19:13 pm »

Molen;
I'm also a relative newbie in Linux. I've currently got 2 Linux boxes - one Ubuntu 9, one VL6 (xfce). Imho, Ubuntu is a little more graphic, in VL6 I had to use the command line a bit more. I've only had the tourist guidebook lessons in command-line-speak (where is the bus station?), but I like VL6.

I first installed VL about v4. It has consistently matched or bettered Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora and a few other distros in hardware detection and it has sometimes done a better job of partitioning. This time they both installed just fine. VL installed faster, and had some of my basic requirements running quicker. Ubuntu feels more like my Windows machines. They are both good distros, with a few differences in programs (glslapt vs aptitude, etc.) I don't like the "free-only" restrictions on Ubuntu, but with 9.04 they've really opened that up a lot (previous Ubuntu I installed was 7).

Conclusion: I find both equally great, with a slight preference for VL6.