VectorLinux
November 28, 2014, 09:43:42 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: remind  (Read 2745 times)
overthere
Vectorian

« on: October 31, 2008, 06:01:15 pm »

I installed remind via gslapt..is there a means of useing tkremind the gui for remind or is it packaged as a cli program?

on freshmeat it had a gui screenshot and looked like something I may be interested in

when typeing tkremind in a terminal I get an error to install tcllib from sourceforge..that is 1.11..I thought that lib was already installed

does this gui program work? has anyone installed it

edit: I found OSMO.. it suits my need  but still curious about remind
« Last Edit: October 31, 2008, 07:22:14 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2008, 10:34:33 pm »

I use tkremind constantly.  As the screen for each day is rather small, I use it in combination with wyrd.  This is necessary in my configuration as I generally have too many events to show on the tkremind screen. The combination of tkremind and wyrd, both of which use remind, does about the same thing as google calendar.  However, its nice to be able to fully use the calendar when not online and I don't know how to do that with google calendar.   Plus, practically speaking, tkremind is faster than google calendar for my purposes.

Its been a while so I don't recall what I did to get tkremind up and running.  If I did it, it can't be very complicated.  I see in my source files that I apparently use remind 03.01.05, which is the same as the gslapt version.  However, that might mean that remind had to be loaded from source.  I also seem to recall that I had to install some dependencies (perhaps only one) that were not on gslapt.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 08:54:10 pm »

thanks for responding...yes..likely something simple...I did try a download from freshmeat and installed and got the same error...so I downloaded the suggested tcllib from source forge and installed and still get the error..

I like the OSMO cal's simplicity...so just curious about remind as it is in the repository. not sure if it was me or the package lacks a tweak or depend

cheers

Everything Is Relative
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2008, 09:57:14 am »

Get tkremind here: http://www.roaringpenguin.com/products/remind
Just follow the instructions to install and no hassles.

TkRemind is one of my favourite apps. I use it every day and have it set to boot up on startup. It is my diary, I would be lost without it. I also have a bash alias set up called "diary" which simply boots my .reminders file into vim and I edit it regularly. Incredibly simple, fast and powerful, which is what software should be. Admittedly the old Motif look of TkRemind is a bit dated, but it works!

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 11:25:48 am »

Yes, I got it from there via freshmeat"s link and installed it with  said error and the package form the repository is the same...glad it works for you...I never have GOOD luck...but I found osmo which is fine for me and will leave it there..it is not an issue...or I do not care anymore...thanks though I appriciate the knowledge that it works well for you..
cheers

Everything Is Relative
Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 03:30:00 am »

Hi

Just saw this thread and would like some advice if possible.

Remind seems to be working ok on my 5.9 Gold system. After some reading up I can now pipe the output to a box with the command "remind -q -g ~/.reminders | xmessage -title "today" -file -"

What I would really like is to have this command run when I log in. I'm sure it must be simple to achieve - but how?

Thanks
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 08:23:38 am »

No clue here on how to get it to run on boot.  But I tried your command and it works fine.  Thanks for the tip!

I will be watching this thread to see if your question gets answered as I might try the same thing.  It would probably reduce my need to use wyrd, particularly if I could add another date to your command.

John

lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 08:34:11 am »

What I would really like is to have this command run when I log in. I'm sure it must be simple to achieve - but how?
If you use 5.9 Gold Standard then I assume you are using the xfce desktop environment. That is vital information for us to know. Anyways, read this:
http://wiki.zenwalk.org/index.php?title=HOWTO_Autostart_Programs

or you can write a script:

#!/bin/bash
remind -q -g ~/.reminders | xmessage -title "today" -file -

then save that as a file, make it executable and place it in ~/.config/autostart

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 12:04:53 pm »

Thanks, lagagnon,

John

Andy Price
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 11:01:10 pm »

Thanks for the advice. I've got it working now by combining the two methods suggested - neither of which seemed to work on their own (though perhaps I was doing something wrong). Anyway, I created the script you suggested and saved it in ./config/autostart. Then I created a startup entry with the XFCE Autostarted Applicatins tool and pointed it at my startup script. Works a treat. Thanks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: