VectorLinux
July 22, 2014, 09:34:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vecor Linux dismissed  (Read 1813 times)
AtariFan

« on: November 04, 2008, 03:29:51 pm »

Hi folks,

After starting my Pentium 3 PC with VL 5.9 Standard installed on it, I appreciate the great XFCE desktop. Then I decided to burn an CD from an .iso downloaded with VL. K3B failed after successful burning simulation. Then I remembered that last year with another Linux Gnomebaker did the job. No Gnomebaker executable aka tgz available, so I downloaded the Gnomebaker.tar.gz from sourceforge and tried to compile it with vpackager with the best settings. Failed.
Thus I again stick to my compared to Vector ugly MS Win 2000 and these days work through the clumsy online update function of Win 2000.
Maybe I could have discussed the problem here in this friendly forum before dismissing vector but why should I be that interested if the gnomebaker baker is to silly to provide an executable? As my experience showed, open source is not only unfriendly to developers who need a fair compensation (I'm an informatician too), makes users shrugging but also often simply fails. Regarding this I also remember a great opensource emulator for Mac OS Classic on Linux that was discontinued and thus not able to print.
I hope that an really nice, user-friendly and *simple* OS like Mac OS Classic or the Atari system will be invented for Intel PCs.

Regards, Ludwig

tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 03:56:22 pm »

There isn't a question here.  This post doesn't really belong in this part of the forums.

Nevertheless, AtariFan,  I will respond to a few things you wrote.

First, had you asked, you would have received plenty of help in getting K3B working on your machine - or just about any other application.  The VL community is very helpful.  Second, there is no Gnomebaker for VL because VL doesn't come with GNOME.  There are ways to install GNOME in VL, since VL is Slackware-compatible and there are a number of versions of GNOME for Slackware.  Someone would have pointed you in the right direction, at least, and if you needed more help would have given it.

Post again if you change your mind.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 08:13:41 pm »

well...I admit I have fallen victim to instant gratification more than once..but honestly one CD does not critical damage make.

I have burned a fair number of .ISO images with K3B with zero issue so far...I did have a fail on a data burn once but I think it was a bad CD as the second worked fine..I tend to buy bulk and this is NORMAL in the disposable world we live in

after install you naturally ran K3B once as root befor use

I know a few who think Nero is the only burner...to each their own.

I like K3B on Vector but this has little to do with vector Linux or K3B I suspect and I wish you clarity

cheers

Everything Is Relative
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 10:13:13 pm »

Maybe I could have discussed the problem here in this friendly forum before dismissing vector but why should I be that interested if the gnomebaker baker is to silly to provide an executable? As my experience showed, open source is not only unfriendly to developers who need a fair compensation (I'm an informatician too), makes users shrugging but also often simply fails.

I'm not a Linux evangelist, I don't care what operating system people use, and I use Windows a fair amount myself (though not nearly as much as Linux). So if you want to stick with W2K, it's fine with me.

However, I think it's unfair to make statements like "open source is not only unfriendly to developers who need a fair compensation." Nobody is forced to be a Linux developer. Some Linux developers do get a fair compensation and those who don't have *chosen* to volunteer their efforts, often simply for the sake of doing good deeds. I strongly believe in paying for the distribution that I use because I want to support the continued existence and development of VectorLinux.

"makes users shrugging but also often simply fails" can be said about any operating system. Certainly, it's not always smooth sailing with Windows. It hasn't given me much grief, but I know plenty of people who have problems all the time with Windows and Windows programs. Yes, there's a learning curve with Linux, but my seven-year-old granddaughter who doesn't have a computer and has used computers very little can spend the whole afternoon at pbskids.org using Firefox and never have a problem with it. I do log her in to the visitor account, but once the desktop appears she won't let me do anything else--"Granny, I can do it myself." So I don't think Linux is that hard for people who don't have "the Windows way" to unlearn.

As for Gnomebaker, the program can't simply provide an executable because it requires many dependencies from Gnome. If you want Gnomebaker, your best bet is to install Gnome so the necessary libraries are there. In Linux, unlike Windows, the user has a lot of choice about what sort of system he/she wants. It can be very lean or very complex and resource-demanding. If you don't want a feature-rich environment like Gnome or KDE, you don't need them on your computer. If you do want them, you can install them. Linux is about CHOICE.

Your problems with K3B could almost certainly have been solved. I've found K3B to be my favorite CD/DVD burning application, but I've had good results with several other burning programs in Linux.

I use Linux because it's solid, it's safe, and it's fun--so much fun! Sure, I run into challenges now and then, but even the challenges are fun. I'm sorry you'll miss out on it.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
tomh38
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2008, 12:53:45 am »

Well  I am a Linux evangelist ... I hang out at the airport giving out free CDs and copies of various Linux magazines.  Grin

Actually, what GrannyGeek wrote was quite right in all respects.  I would like add one thing about compensation.  There are more kinds of compensation than the monetary variety.  Some open source/free software developers work on various Linux and other projects because they gain a certain respect for the high quality of their work.  That respect is a kind of compensation.  Also, when a large group of people cooperate on a project, everyone who contributes also benefits from the result.  That also is a kind of compensation.  In addition, being part of a community is a kind of compensation in itself.  I understand that in Amish communities, when someone needs a barn built, every able-bodied person helps build that barn.  That way, no single individual has to shoulder such a large responsibility alone.  Being part of the VL community, and the larger Linux community, is similar to that in many ways.  It's obvious that some are able to contribute more than others, but it's the sort of thing that can work when each person does what he or she can.

Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
budulay
Packager
Vectorian

NewComer

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2008, 10:01:51 am »

...but why should I be that interested if the gnomebaker is to silly to provide an executable?
I am sorry, but that is, at least, rude in relation to GNOME developers. I can say that my hammer fails to screw screws. That does not mean that the hammer is silly.

When I dismissed win98 on my box and get Vector running, not everything went smooth. But I was prepared for that.
Now I am using Vector for about half a year. I could say that I learn a lot of cool stuff. But I can also say that there are tons more of even cooler stuff that I did not learned yet.  Wink

Saying that the distro is bad only because you did not took the time to leard how to use it is, at least, a disrespect for all developers and other contributors who put effort into it.

VL6.0-Light@MSI MS-1652(AMD TurionX2 ZM-84 2300 MHZ, 4 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, Nvidia GForce 9600M GT, GIGABYTE AirCruiser N300)
Registered Linux user #473602
SlackBuild Repository for VL7.Not much but it's a start. Join in!
AtariFan

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 09:40:30 am »

...but why should I be that interested if the gnomebaker is to silly to provide an executable?
I am sorry, but that is, at least, rude in relation to GNOME developers.
Saying that the distro is bad only because you did not took the time to leard how to use it is, at least, a disrespect for all developers and other contributors who put effort into it.
I've never said VL is, it was a sympathic distro. I've put much time in "learning Linux", but I've no time any more for this.
To be more fair, I've also never denied that the Gnomebaker bakers are intelligent and as I've already said, that Gnomebaker on another distro did the job, that K3B didn't.
But please relax, as I relax, too with Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 for MS Win now.
AtariFan

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2008, 10:03:39 am »

Dear VL fans,

I don't want to provocate. I myself have enough worries and now will quit this forum for a long time.
Enjoy it,

Ludwig

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: