VectorLinux
December 21, 2014, 08:12:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Mouse and Screen detection issues (solved)  (Read 2396 times)
Monty67

« on: November 09, 2008, 07:30:34 pm »

Hello all

Well I'm finally getting some sleep now so I've decided to get 5.9 Soho up and running; finally.

Two issues.

1) The auto detect for my PNY Geforce 9600GT did not work. X wouldn't start so I d/l-ed the Nvidia "beta" (as they call it) driver and installed it. That solved the startx issue but now I can't figure out how to get my system to let me move from 1024x768 to my Dell FS' potential of 1680x1050. In the KDE config window I see only a max of 1024.

2) I have a cheap Logitech USB (UAE96) that every distro I've messed with detects w/ no issues. I don't know why but I can't get the wheel to work. Buttons are fine but the wheel is holding out on me. I've tried USB settings in VASM and even using a few of the logitech preselects. Nothing works. Strange.

BTW
Missing packages

KeepassX and TightVNC - Am I blind or do I need to do source installs?

Glad to be somewhat back everyone.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 06:31:06 pm by Monty67 » Logged

Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 07:52:32 pm »

Both issues can be solved by editing /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
For the screen, look for the last part of the file with the resolutions for each depth and add the resolution you want.
For the mouse, search for the mouse device section and you need to have a line there that says:
ZAxisMapping "4 5"

(or something like this... I'm sorry for not being clearer and pasting examples, but I'm in someone else's computer)

I would expect both issues to be handled by vasm. Have you tried the other nvidia drivers or the opensource nv driver? Try running "vxconf" as root for resolution choices and the like (or "xorgconfig"). I suppose when you do autodetect for the mouse (in vasm) you get no wheel, even though you choose "2 buttons and a wheel"?
Monty67

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 06:20:26 am »

Update

OK I got the screen res problem solved. I'll post it here just in case anyone else needs what I did on their system.

Downloaded the driver from Nvidia site
Followed install procedure.
reboot
Login as ROOT
Head over to

SYSTEM --> Nvidia X server Settings
Look for the "X Server Display config" option
Click on it.
For the Resolution pull down, select AUTO (there are two pull downs - you want the left one)
The window titled "layout", above the config info should show you the new (bigger and better) resolution setting.
Mine says the following - Dell E228WFP 1680x1050

Click on "Save to X configuration File"
If you are not root it will not allow this step so you have to be root for it to work.
Click Quit

Logout
Reboot
and voila you should be greeted the next time you log in as a user with the RES you set up
in the Nvidia config.

Enjoy.

Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government.
Monty67

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 06:29:48 am »

WCS said:

I suppose when you do autodetect for the mouse (in vasm) you get no wheel, even though you choose "2 buttons and a wheel"?

Real strange

when I did auto it told me it was a Logitech mouse and "guessed" that it was a two button with wheel. I clicked on that option but I still don't have a working mouse wheel.

I will investigate further your Zaxis mapping and see if that solves the problem.

Monty67

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 06:56:04 pm »

update: Zaxis mapping doesn't fix it.

Any other ideas would be great.

thx

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 08:18:56 pm »

This is the bit in my xorg.conf:
Code:
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
    Option         "Protocol" "auto"
    Option         "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option         "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

You can try running xev and scrolling the wheel to see the number of the buttons. It is usually 4 and 5, but better check...
Monty67

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 06:35:32 pm »

I want to thank you very much for the time and effort you gave me. I have a scrolling mouse now. Here is what I did just in case someone has the same issues.

Ok this was a strange one. For me that is given how many other distros had this mouse working w/o any issues.

Here is what I found in the device Mouse area

<I added your text here>

#   Identifier     "Mouse1"
#    Driver         "mouse"
#    Option         "Protocol" "PS/2"
# The mouse device.  The device is normally set to /dev/mouse,
    Option         "Device" "/dev/mouse"
#   Option "Device"      "/dev/psaux"

As you can see I commented out the "old" definition.

but then I noticed this :
# The Identifier line must be present
# Each Screen line specifies a Screen section name, and optionally
# the relative position of other screens.  The four names after
# primary screen name are the screens to the top, bottom, left and right
# of the primary screen.  In this example, screen 2 is located to the
# right of screen 1.
# Each InputDevice line specifies an InputDevice section name and
# optionally some options to specify the way the device is to be
# used.  Those options include "CorePointer", "CoreKeyboard" and
# "SendCoreEvents".
    Identifier     "Simple Layout"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
    InputDevice    "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

I noticed that the Mouse has the number 1 and not 0 so after adding your text, rebooting and it still not working I tried to change the number from 0 to 1.

Upon my return my mouse is working the way it was meant too.

So my section looks like this now
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Mouse1"
    Driver         "mouse"
EndSection

thanks again.  Grin

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 10:40:33 pm »

Great!
Forgot about that bit. Yes, the identifiers in the "ServerLayout" section have to match those in the "InputDevice" and "Screen" sections.
I suppose you could also change the mouse identifier to 0 in both sections and it would work as well (not that you need to).

after adding your text, rebooting and it still not working I tried to change the number from 0 to 1.

Just a tip (if you happen not to know it already).
When you do changes to the X configuration, you don't have to go through a whole reboot, as the only things you changed was in the graphical environment.
You can do (for example) "init 2" as root to take you to textmode, then login as root and do "init 4" to take you back to graphical mode. Or better still, login as user in textmode and type "startx".
Or even faster, but a bit agressive: just do Ctrl + Alt + Backspace and X is killed and restarted with your new configuration.
There might still be other ways... isn't Linux great?  Wink
Monty67

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2008, 03:03:48 pm »

To be perfectly honest what you say rings a very quiet bell. It's been some time since I messed with init stages and in the back of mind mind I was
wondering if there is a better way to do it. Heck when you update the .bshrc file you can just "source" it and its updated. But I didn't really remember
all the details and how they applied to X. Especially that three button one you mentioned. Yikes.

thanks again.

illion tor

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 12:51:45 pm »

I used the info below and it solved my problem.  I did not comment out the other lines and it still worked.  Thanks for the help.

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier     "Mouse0"
    Driver         "mouse"
EndSection
illion tor

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2009, 01:02:12 pm »

Sorry.  I should have mentioned I got info from wcs' post (November 12, 2008, 08:18:56 pm) above. 
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: