VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: slapt-get not really removing packages? (5.9 Light)  (Read 1639 times)

newvec

slapt-get not really removing packages? (5.9 Light)
« on: November 10, 2008, 07:45:21 am »

New user of Vector 5.9 Light.  It appears that slapt-get is not really removing packages and just marking them as removed. 

I wanted to remove Opera and install Firefox.  I ran the command to first remove Opera; "slapt-get --remove opera".  The command executed without error and I was notified that the opera package had been removed.  Just to make sure I searched for the Opera binary and got a hit, I ran it and opera worked perfectly which tells me that not only the binary exists but also any dependencies/resources.  Why was this stuff not removed?

The install of Firefox completed without issue and was successful upon invocation.  So did opera not get removed because it may be a dependency for another package?   

nightflier

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
Re: slapt-get not really removing packages? (5.9 Light)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 09:15:12 am »

Packages which were included in initial install may not uninstall using gslapt/slapt-get. You can do it manually. As root, in a terminal, run:
cd /var/log/packages
removepkg opera[tab]  (use autocomplete to find the full name)

Another option is to re-install opera with the package manager, then un-install it.

Joe1962

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
    • Joe1962's Website
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 09:58:22 am »

You can "removepkg package_base_name" from any directory and without the full name of the package. So stuff like "removepkg opera" works.
O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10

newvec

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 12:18:57 pm »

Very cool, did not know that.  Thanks..