VectorLinux
October 23, 2014, 10:06:11 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't Install  (Read 1208 times)
FredJones

« on: November 11, 2008, 12:13:32 am »

I downloaded VL5.9-STD-Gold.iso but I don't see where I can get the MD5 to check what I have locally which is

8198c819044602acaaec54aa33631b39

I tried a test run of installing on VirtualBox with 3G for root and it didn't work--I got a message that it couldn't unpack some file or other--either media is bad or disk is full.

But I think the manual said to use 3G for root.

The actual machine I want to install on has 13G hardrive and 256 K RAM so I thought to use:

swap 512 K
/ 3G
/home 10 G

Is that right? Any ideas why my install failed?

Thanks!
FredJones

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 04:25:45 am »

I downloaded another copy of the ISO and it's the exact same size. One PC has Win 2K and the other XP and the File size and also 'size on disk' for both are precisely the same. So I think the ISO is good.

I only have one CD left to burn, but it seems safe to use this ISO. Unless it itself has a bug or something.

Any other ideas what might have gone wrong? Or should I just try it on a real machine? Generally speaking, however, my VirtualBox lets me install Linuxes no problem...
newt
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 09:49:49 am »

In virtualbox, give it another shot.  Try a slightly larger / (root) partition size - 3.5Gb (or 4gb if you can spare it).  I was running into a similar situation installing on a VM and I had to bump the partition size up a little bit to get it to work (I think I went from 3 to 3.5gb and it worked).

Also, you probably meant 512 Mb swap, but in case you really meant 512 Kb swap then that is too small to be useful.  If you meant 512 Mb then you should be good.

The md5 you come up with is correct.  You can find the md5 here: http://ftp://ftp-osl.osuosl.org/pub/vectorlinux/veclinux-5.9/iso-release/VL5.9-STD-Gold.iso.md5sum
FredJones

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 10:53:19 am »

Yes, I meant 512 MB which is my ram of 256 MB times two.

Thanks for the feedback--it worked! Well it doesn't boot into xcfe automatically but I'll have to figure out how to get that on a real PC.

I will now try to install on a real PC.

Thanks!
FredJones

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 11:59:35 pm »

My PC shows 1.4 GB free out of 4.6 GB in /. Seems root indeed needs more than 3 Gs. Smiley

Anyway it's up and running on the real PC and it's great.

Thank you!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: