VectorLinux

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Visit our home page for VL info. For support and documentation, visit the Vector Linux Knowledge Center or search the Knowledge Center and this Forum using the search box above.

Author Topic: Alternative to DBAN + Linux software sites + VL IDE for developers?  (Read 2490 times)

Merps

Hey I am looking for a replacement for Dban to format/wipe a Hdd, I posted in ubuntu formums... nothing, scanned softpedia... no luck.

Due to being new to Linux any suggestions regarding:

1. Replacement to Dban (not Gparted)
2. Other places to look for Linux downloads rather than just softpedia... I just noticed sourceforge perhaps it is OK?

would be appreciated.

Also is it easy and/or recommended to install development IDEs such as Codeblocks or Eclipse on VL (I am trying to move my development to LInux too)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 06:36:20 pm by Merps »

toothandnail

• Tester
  • Vectorian
Re: Alternative to DBAN + Linux software sites + VL IDE for developers?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 01:18:55 am »

Hey I am looking for a replacement for Dban to format/wipe a Hdd, I posted in ubuntu formums... nothing, scanned softpedia... no luck.

Due to being new to Linux any suggestions regarding:

1. Replacement to Dban (not Gparted)

While its not free software, I've been using Dfsee for years. Comes in OS/2, Win, Linux and Mac versions, does far more than just wipe a hard drive. Have a look here:

http://www.dfsee.com/

2. Other places to look for Linux downloads rather than just softpedia... I just noticed sourceforge perhaps it is OK?

If I'm looking for software for Linux, I normally search freshmeat.net before most other places. On the other hand, unless I have some reason to build a Vector specific package, I would probably try the Vector repositories first, and possibly linuxpackages.net (though I've found the quality of packages from that site to be very variable, even for pure Slackware). Sourceforge hosts a number of projects, but it is often easier to find them using other resources (such as freshmeat) than to search Sourceforge itself.

Also is it easy and/or recommended to install development IDEs such as Codeblocks or Eclipse on VL (I am trying to move my development to LInux too)

For a lightweight IDE, try Geany. Its in the VL repos, so gslapt or slapt-get will install it for you. I've no experience of Codeblocks or Eclipse, so I couldn't comment on them, I'm afraid. There are lots of other development tools available.

paul.

Joe1962

• Administrator
  • Vectorian
    • Joe1962's Website
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 02:24:33 am »

As far as Eclipse is concerned, it doesn't have an installer (even in Windows). It is pretty much download, uncompress and run. As it is a java app, you need the JRE to run it, which comes with VL, but I don't remember if Eclipse comes with a JDK (for actual java apps development) or if you need to install one. If the latter case, I think there was a thread about it somewhere on this Forum.
O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10

The Headacher

• Louder than you
  • Global Moderator
  • Vectorian
  • I like the bass to go BOOM!
    • Multimedia on VL (work in progress)
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 02:57:13 am »

Another good IDE to consider if you're using SOHO would be kdevelop.
Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.

kidd

• Packager
  • Vectorian
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 02:58:44 am »

I do all my programming work in vim with some plugins. Emacs is in the repos too (you can compile your own if you want lastest features)

overthere

• Vectorian
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 10:27:06 am »

If you have a floppy disk dban can be slow, you can also use the win98 boot disk and fdisk /mbr then repartition or formatt the drive with a linux fdisk ...the basiclinux two floppy set can do ext2 but gparted offers more variety...vl has option to partition during installation as do others. I have not found a dban replacement so will follow the thread

I also search freshmeat if not in the vl repository...be sure to look in testing repository.
hope that helps
Everything Is Relative