VectorLinux
October 21, 2014, 03:38:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Alternative to DBAN + Linux software sites + VL IDE for developers?  (Read 2220 times)
Merps

« on: November 17, 2008, 03:57:11 pm »

Hey I am looking for a replacement for Dban to format/wipe a Hdd, I posted in ubuntu formums... nothing, scanned softpedia... no luck.

Due to being new to Linux any suggestions regarding:

1. Replacement to Dban (not Gparted)
2. Other places to look for Linux downloads rather than just softpedia... I just noticed sourceforge perhaps it is OK?

would be appreciated.

Also is it easy and/or recommended to install development IDEs such as Codeblocks or Eclipse on VL (I am trying to move my development to LInux too)
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 06:36:20 pm by Merps » Logged
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 01:18:55 am »

Hey I am looking for a replacement for Dban to format/wipe a Hdd, I posted in ubuntu formums... nothing, scanned softpedia... no luck.

Due to being new to Linux any suggestions regarding:

1. Replacement to Dban (not Gparted)

While its not free software, I've been using Dfsee for years. Comes in OS/2, Win, Linux and Mac versions, does far more than just wipe a hard drive. Have a look here:

http://www.dfsee.com/

2. Other places to look for Linux downloads rather than just softpedia... I just noticed sourceforge perhaps it is OK?

If I'm looking for software for Linux, I normally search freshmeat.net before most other places. On the other hand, unless I have some reason to build a Vector specific package, I would probably try the Vector repositories first, and possibly linuxpackages.net (though I've found the quality of packages from that site to be very variable, even for pure Slackware). Sourceforge hosts a number of projects, but it is often easier to find them using other resources (such as freshmeat) than to search Sourceforge itself.

Also is it easy and/or recommended to install development IDEs such as Codeblocks or Eclipse on VL (I am trying to move my development to LInux too)

For a lightweight IDE, try Geany. Its in the VL repos, so gslapt or slapt-get will install it for you. I've no experience of Codeblocks or Eclipse, so I couldn't comment on them, I'm afraid. There are lots of other development tools available.

paul.
Joe1962
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 02:24:33 am »

As far as Eclipse is concerned, it doesn't have an installer (even in Windows). It is pretty much download, uncompress and run. As it is a java app, you need the JRE to run it, which comes with VL, but I don't remember if Eclipse comes with a JDK (for actual java apps development) or if you need to install one. If the latter case, I think there was a thread about it somewhere on this Forum.

O'Neill (RE the Asgard): "Usually they ask nicely before they ignore us and do what they damn well please."
http://joe1962.bigbox.info
Running: VL 7 Std 64 + self-cooked XFCE-4.10
The Headacher
Louder than you
Global Moderator
Vectorian

I like the bass to go BOOM!

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 02:57:13 am »

Another good IDE to consider if you're using SOHO would be kdevelop.

Most music on my soundcloud page was arranged in programs running on VL.
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 02:58:44 am »

I do all my programming work in vim with some plugins. Emacs is in the repos too (you can compile your own if you want lastest features)

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 10:27:06 am »

If you have a floppy disk dban can be slow, you can also use the win98 boot disk and fdisk /mbr then repartition or formatt the drive with a linux fdisk ...the basiclinux two floppy set can do ext2 but gparted offers more variety...vl has option to partition during installation as do others. I have not found a dban replacement so will follow the thread

I also search freshmeat if not in the vl repository...be sure to look in testing repository.
hope that helps

Everything Is Relative
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: