VectorLinux
November 22, 2014, 04:37:16 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Printing Question  (Read 1035 times)
tomh38
Vectorian

« on: December 08, 2008, 04:54:24 am »

I have CUPS set up for my HP 920c on my main machine.  Everything works fine with that.  I've set up CUPS network printing on the other two computers in the house, and that's where the problems start.  If I have OpenOffice.org Writer open on one of the other machines, and I try to print, sometimes it prints, sometimes it doesn't.  I haven't been able to figure out any pattern to this.  If it's not printing and I check the status of the printer on the main machine, it shows that there's a job pending but it just sits there.  For all I know this could be a CUPS bug, a problem with my printer, a firewall issue, or something else entirely.

I've come up with this for a workaround.  If I save the document and then log into the main machine over sftp, I can copy the document to a directory on the main machine.  Then if I log in to the main machine using ssh, I can just issue the command "swriter -pt HP -p name-of-document.odt" and it prints fine.  I've wasted a lot of ink and paper testing this out, and it works every time.

I don't have a problem doing this, but I was wondering if perhaps there might be a way to automate this process to some degree.  I'm guessing that it's possible to write a shell script to do at least part of this stuff, but I have no idea how to do that.

Any ideas or suggestions that anybody might have would be appreciated.

P.S.  I've tried sharing the printer on the network using SAMBA, but for some reason (perhaps the same reason I'm having trouble with CUPS) it keeps falling off the network.  I would rather just issue the commands than keep messing with SAMBA.

I'm using VL 5.9, Xfce 4.4.2, and OpenOffice.org 3.0 on all three machines.

Thanks,
Tom

"I'm doing a (free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional like gnu) for 386(486) AT clones." - Linus Torvalds, April 1991
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: