VectorLinux
April 15, 2014, 09:27:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Would this boot VL?  (Read 1933 times)
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« on: November 24, 2008, 06:42:09 pm »

This looks cool, like useable for older, uncooperative boxes, but it's meant for slackware... so I'm not sure how / if it would work... looks like it just expects an iso image ...

http://slackware.osuosl.org/slackware-current/isolinux/sbootmgr/README.TXT

- H

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
lagagnon
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 06:59:47 pm »

It might but why would you want it? VL provides the lilo boot manager which works fine, unless of course it is because your BIOS can't boot CDROM drives?

"As people become more intelligent they care less for preachers and more for teachers". Robert G. Ingersoll
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 07:41:15 pm »

if you have an old box that does not boot  cd...I used this boot floppy...smart boot manager...to bad it does not boot usb
I used rawrite on win95 to copy the img to floppy
http://linux.simple.be/tools/sbm
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 07:43:14 pm by overthere » Logged

Everything Is Relative
Windozer
Vectorite

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 03:58:27 pm »

Thanks, Iagagnon and Overthere.

Yes, I've got a couple of old boxes that I'd like to boot from CD, but their bios'es are indeed pre-historic.  One had a new enough :? bios that allowed for downloadable updates - I was amazed to find one. It seemed to install, but on boot up, the box became a toaster!

Oh well, next...

- H

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 05:16:55 pm »

bin der dun dat...hopefully the boot disk will work on another

Everything Is Relative
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 06:36:34 pm »

If you're installing to an ancient machine with a non-bootable CD-ROM the easiest way to do that (assuming the machine has an old Linux version on it) is to run the vinstall-cd script that comes on the iso.  I've done this sort of an installation and it works extremely well.

If the machine has DOS/Windows you can simply copy the kernel and initrd which contains the installed to your DOS/Windows partition and use loadlin to launch the installation.

Thsoe two methods are by far the easiest for launching an install on old hardware.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
VLocity Linux 7.0-rc1

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video
VL 7.0 Light
Windozer
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 06:53:32 pm »

[...] run the vinstall-cd script that comes on the iso.  [...]

Caitlyn, you must be telepathic ... I was literally reading about vinstall 1) while you were writing your helpful reply. Thanks!

... and now, could you please tell me what number I'm thinking...  Grin

cheers,
Howard
1) "VL 5.9 Lite - floppy boot to CD not working": http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=7110.0

EyesOnly

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 07:08:51 am »

To heck with what number you're thinking WinDoze! If she's really telepathic/clairvoyant I'd like the PowerBall Lotto numbers! (And I'll share, 75% Caitlyn/25% moi! LOL!) Wink

Sorry, I simply could NOT resist...

Amicalement/Cheers!

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

"We never know just how much a kind word, or a gesture, will lift the spirits of a friend, or person, in need and heal them." (jimmymac)
Windozer
Vectorite

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2008, 08:24:40 pm »

LOL!

(And I'll share, 75% Caitlyn/25% moi! LOL!)

How about spreading the wealth a bit Eyes-Only?

75% Caitlyn, 10% you, 14.5% Vector, and a humble 0.5% for me brokering the idea? Roll Eyes

- H

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: