VectorLinux
October 25, 2014, 12:17:05 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: VectorLinux 6.0 beta1 has been released!  (Read 28391 times)
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2008, 11:13:42 am »

The problem here is not your fault strechedthin.. it's simply a matter of the system being in development.

What needs to happen is ... the installer needs to wait for the background processes to end before it allows you to exit.
You're doing all you should be doing... it's just that while your running through these steps, the machine is running the script and loading modules in the background... that needs to end by the time you are done setting up your new OS ... otherwise, it will reboot before it actually sets things up.

Some of these background processes may take longer on some machines than others depending on hardware configuration...
Eventually, the installer will present the user with a wait notice of some kind at the end... until all processes are truly finished before the user can reboot.

Thanks for testing

edgeofthewoods

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2008, 12:10:27 pm »

For me the GUI failed qt disk partition, but the text based installer ran perfectly. Thanks for leaving that option in place. Goves some measure of control.

Chuck
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2008, 12:58:09 pm »

The gui code that loads the gparted application is broken in B1. Has been fixed... and will work on B2

UPDATE

** New installer feature **
Importing existing user accounts now works. Just doing some testing before we put it out for public testing.
Also squashing some more LILO bugs while we're at it

edgeofthewoods

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2008, 02:50:52 pm »

Thanks Moe!!

Chuck
roywhite

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2008, 04:36:10 pm »

I downloaded the latest cd and installed vl6.0.1.2. Two problems so far 1. the gui installer couldn't find my cd rom. Text installer worked great.
2. Gslapt apparently doesn't exist anymore. CLI command returns "no such file". I updated slapt-get and there is no Gslapt in my package list.
What is going on?
Roy 

VL ADDICT-running 5.8
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2008, 11:15:31 pm »

I downloaded the latest cd and installed vl6.0.1.2. Two problems so far 1. the gui installer couldn't find my cd rom. Text installer worked great.

What hardware is this with?

2. Gslapt apparently doesn't exist anymore. CLI command returns "no such file". I updated slapt-get and there is no Gslapt in my package list.
What is going on?

There is a problem with running gslapt from the normal Xfce menu - there is an error in /usr/share/applications/gslapt.desktop - it should have 'Exec=/sbin/vsuper /usr/sbin/gslapt' but instead has 'Exec=/usr/sbin/gslapt', so it will fail silently. The selection from the launcher on the toolbar should work, and the application is certainly in my install of beta 0.1.2.

Have a look in /usr/sbin for the executable, and /usr/share/gslapt for the pixmaps associated with the program. If they're not there, I would assume that something has had a problem during install.

paul.
sparkyhall
Vectorite

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2008, 05:43:14 am »

VL 6.0 B1.2 solved my installation woes. Not had much chance to play yet though.

Thankyou,

Chris
never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2008, 02:45:02 pm »

Beautiful 'look and feel' - VL6.0B1 is absolutely gorgeous.....!!!!!

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
lewellyn

« Reply #53 on: December 08, 2008, 08:48:54 am »

VL 6.0 B1.2 installed smoothly (albeit slowly, for some reason) on my Toshiba A135 laptop.

I do have the following observations about the new installer:

* File copying takes forever. No idea why, but installing a "huge" distro from DVD is faster than installing Vector Linux.
* wlan0 gives "WAP" (should be WPA) and WEP encryption options
* There is no ESSID "browser" for those of us who have non-ASCII SSIDs.

Also, this machine multi-boots. After installing LILO to "Sector" (could that somehow be changed to "Partition Boot Sector" or something in the menu to make it obvious to people which sector is meant?), it brings up an error window with all sorts of LILO warnings, the most important-sounding being an error about an invalid item.

As I am still trying to get Vector to boot properly, I have no further comments on B1.2 yet. (Anyone else feeling that lilo's getting a bit long in the tooth? It's getting harder and harder to "automagically" make it work as technology improves. *sigh*)
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #54 on: December 08, 2008, 09:05:56 am »

@ Lwewllyn.

Thanks for the report.
I will get the WPA/WAP thing fixed.

I'm afraid you'll have to setup your wireless after installation in cases like yours.
The installer is not designed to scan for access points, just scans your hardware. if you can provide an ESSID, it will configure the interface, otherwise, use wicd to do it.

On a side note, B2 has been release, the change you request for the LILO screen has been done, and there have been more inprovements in the lilo department.

You should try B2

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: