VectorLinux
October 22, 2014, 02:20:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector 6.0 beta1 feedback and bug reports  (Read 27568 times)
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2008, 06:31:34 am »

Beta 1.2. GUI install completed without problems. One item - problem with rxvt-unicode. The description was not fully visible. When installing 1.1, the install failed on rxvt-unicode, so I chickened out and didn't attempt to install it.

As some others have reported, I'm seeing problems with font rendering. Thought at first it might be my freetype 2.3.7 build, but on checking, I find I'm using the same version (built from the same build script) under 5.9, and I'm not seeing the same problems there.

The difference is really noticeable in things like Seamonkey.

paul
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2008, 07:29:38 am »

Great explanation cait. Now the change kdm->gdm makes sense to me.

I agree with the language issue... that alone seems good reason to change to gdm.
But, at least here, gdm seems much slower. Is it my imagination?
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2008, 07:32:51 am »

Tried Beta 1 on an aspire one.
As mentioned before, something about the resolution (1024x600) screws it up. I got a message saying "display not supported" or something to that effect and ended up choosing 800x600 from a list.

But not everything is visible in the installer (to the right), which renders it unusable.

I'll give it another try and see if hiding the sidebar makes any difference.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2008, 08:48:14 am »

have you tried hiding the left panel?

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2008, 09:40:59 pm »

By mistake I originally posted this in the beta 1 announcement in Distro Releases. I attached a note there requesting that any comments be made here in Distro Development.

I tried to sync my Sony Clie using JPilot. No luck. No error messages at the command line when I launched JPIlot as root or user. I discovered that pilot-link wasn't installed. So I installed that with G-Slapt but I had the same results.

I've been using the instructions posted by Joe1962 for a few years and they've always worked. I also added a 03-local.rules to /etc/udev/rules.d, as required for VL 5.9 and presumably later, which I got on this forum from derrell. Tomorrow I'll reboot the computer and see if things go better. But for now, I can't sync my Ciie, which is a major problem for me.

UPDATE: I tried to sync with the Clie after a cold boot today. No luck. I've started JPilot at a terminal as root and as user and the Clie reports that it couldn't make a connection. JPilot reports nothing, nor are there any error messages at the command line.

I realize that Palm devices are getting very long in the tooth and I don't care if pilot-link, jpilot, and whatever else is needed are omitted from the ISO, but I hope we'll have packages in the repos we can install if we want them.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2008, 11:34:00 pm »

I realize that Palm devices are getting very long in the tooth and I don't care if pilot-link, jpilot, and whatever else is needed are omitted from the ISO, but I hope we'll have packages in the repos we can install if we want them.
--GrannyGeek

I second that, this time for a Palm Tungsten E2
Ken

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2008, 07:43:34 am »

Usb is mounted as root user and group not enabling me to modify nor create anything

never_stop_learning
Vectorite

« Reply #52 on: December 05, 2008, 02:41:15 pm »

Terminal - scroll doesn't work.
Terminal - fonts are 'ragged'.
Installer worked well.
Couldn't get xorg to work. Used vesa.
Firewall GUI still doesn't set up the firewall.

Laptop: IBM X60s (Centrino/Duo, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Netbook: HP Mini (Intel Atom 1ghz, 2gb ram, 16gb SSD + 8gb flash ) VL 6.0 Std
Desktop: Dell Dimension 5150 (P4 3ghz, 2gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
Wife's Desktop: Gateway (P4 2ghz, 1gb ram, 80gb hd) VL 6.0 Std
benkong2

« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2008, 02:06:59 pm »

Here is my system Toshiba Satellite 2805-S301 PIII Coppermine 256 meg memory 40 gig partition for install of VL 6.0. I tried gui install and text install both failed. The gui will install the system but does not honor the added user. after booting into the system messagebus fails on boot and there is only the root user. So I say no problem I'll create the user but ther is no useradd command or groupadd command so I cannot add a new user. If I try to update the system using VASMCC I get a failed error that gslapt is broken.

When using the text installer it progresses through the install of the files then fails with a cannot expand the file error and offers me a choice to retry. Saying check the partitions or drive size. I tried letting VL format the partitions and I also created and formated the partitions myself. oh BTW I do not use a seperate home partition just a root and swap partition. Just another note VL 5.9 will install fine.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Print  

Jump to: