VectorLinux
August 19, 2014, 10:29:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector 6.0 beta1 feedback and bug reports  (Read 26920 times)
vector
Administrator
Vectorite

« on: November 25, 2008, 11:40:12 pm »

Please post any comments bug reports etc here with regards to the new beta1 release.

Thanks,
Vec
toothandnail
Tester
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 12:55:38 am »

Install was pretty good (using the GUI installer). It needs to support using an existing user (which crashes the install at tht moment), but otherwise it looks good.

First mite on running - using VasmCC, any attempt to select the Hardware menu results in nothing being shown in the right hand pane, 100% CPU load, and a locked VasmCC. Has to be killed.

Mousepad is opening in some high resolution mode - /etc/skel/.config/mousepad/mousepadrc needs to be cleared, since the Mousepad window is too big to fit on a 1024x768 screen and can't be reduced other than by clearing the default rc.

More later...

paul.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 01:00:20 am by toothandnail » Logged
Sengir

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 03:00:58 am »

Installer:
- clicking the little arrow on the left (to hide the sidebar) does indeed hide the sidebar, but doesn't seem to be able to bring the sidebar back up again.
- the vectorlogo in the credits list has jagged edges
- lilo > installing lilo to a floppy isn't possible anymore?
- lilo > In the dropdown menu to select where to install Lilo, I'd prefer the 'Sector' entry to read 'Bootsector of /dev/sdaX' or something similar (but that's probably just a matter of preference)
- nvidia installer gives errors (card is not supported by latest driver apparently), complains about the kernel and aborts. It would be nice if after a failed nvidia attempt the list of choices for drivers would come back instead of it picking a default.

Will test the installation itself later today
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 12:51:16 pm »

Here is a status update on the installer for those of you testing. As or revision 329
- Fixed typo in gparted module
- Fixed issue with user icon now showing up after first user account.
- ** NEW FEATURE ** Added auto-modifying of -cli lilo entry if the chosen label is too long. Added warning to user interface to warn accordingly
- Relabeled "Sector" to "Bootsector of" in LIlo setup
- Fine tuned lilo target options in the search for a floppy drive
- Fixed problem with read-only textbox in wireless network setup
- Fixed problem with status of root password being left behind as current
- Fixed problem with filesystem being reported wrong for ntfs partitions
- ** NEW FEATURE ** Added column to partition selection summary to include "Format Yes/No" value 

This is just so people dont double-book bug reports.
Thanks for the bug reports... Please continue testing, you will see these changes reflected on the next beta ISO

-\EDIT/-

I think the bug with the left panel not coming back up once it's hidden is due to a bug in the gambas gtk component.
As a temporary work around, if you wish to restore the panel, click on the little arrow (handles) on the left panel and leave them so that they point in this direction "<"
Then, drag your mouse pointer along the left edge of the screen ( you should see your mouse turn into ->) then click-and-drag to the desired size.
hiding/restoring the left panel works fine after that
_/EDIT\_
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 01:45:34 pm by M0E-lnx » Logged

gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 12:55:23 pm »

Tried hosted install and install from cd on a Toshiba A215

1. Both hang a looooooooooong time installing my intel sound card

2. Both lock up tight as a jug on the user password screen. Have to cold boot. It will boot but had to use passwd command to set the user pw.

3. Pkgtool doesn't work.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 12:58:49 pm by gamfa » Logged

"Don't tell my cattle I have leather seats in my truck"

"I never let schooling stand in the way of my education"...Mark Twain
Lyn
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 02:41:59 pm »

OK installed in shortly under 10 minutes, and a few more to do the post install configuration. 

Previously I could only connect if I logged on on tui mode and then launched xwindows.  I see I can launch the application in XFCE on its panel to connect to network, previously this was automatic. 
Generally it looks quite slick thought I think the panel being in two tone gray makes the clock difficult to read.

So first impressions very slick, though I am not sure why you have a two part install and configuration I am sure this will cause some confusion.

Fonts look good, artwork is a matter of taste, ie not quite mine.

A few things missing, no xscreensaver, xkill only via a terminal, no htop.

Also sound not automatically configured, have to do that manually post install.

This suggests a whole section of hardware detection isn't working on install.

Glapt doesn't update package lists, just freezes, works fine from command line

I think this beta despite what I have put above is fairly close to being right.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 03:34:25 pm by Lyn » Logged
gamfa
Vectorite

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 04:20:00 pm »

I've install it on a Lenovo and two Toshibas. Things that are common between all three.

Sound appears to configure but I can't get a mixer to open. Alasamixer or the one in the menu.

Abiword and Gnumeric won't due to missing gnome files

pkgtool doesn't work

liloconfig doesn't work

You really should do something about setting the desktop session when xfce isn't installed. That strange message about being logged in for only 10 seconds drove me crazy.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 04:23:08 pm by gamfa » Logged

"Don't tell my cattle I have leather seats in my truck"

"I never let schooling stand in the way of my education"...Mark Twain
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 06:19:20 pm »

Can't connect to Internet.
FATAL: Module not found

Does not find my sound card.

Can't print. No device for USB printer  connection.

Installation does not ask for Internet connection. Had to go to netconfig.
Which after all entries did not make a connection.

stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 11:48:03 pm »

I tried install as a dual boot with windows xp home.
The partitions where set up as ...
hda3 primary linux swap 542.87mb
hda1  Boot Primary NTFS 10569.49
hda2  primary Linux ReiserFS  8891.53

The partitions where already there from my install of Alpha .037. (Used gparted from gui but completed using text installer)
This was working fine.

So heres the rundown.
First thing I noticed was it seemed to take longer to find installable media. But it did and I continued on.
Choose to use existing partitions and picked root for hda2 and of course swap for hda3
Also choose 'Detect and Setup Windows partitions for auto-mounting at boot.

Windows was detected and I left it to mount at /mnt/hda1 (I was really happy to see windows detected.)

Choose the Full install. All went well.

Boot Manager Config screen showed both Vector-hda2 and Windows-hda1. I left all settings at default and hit next.
This generated an error. (see picture attached.)
I clicked ok to clear the error message, it allowed me to continue with the install.
Created a user. (The box for User Accounts has been cleaned up nicely)

When left clicking on the next button I noticed it darkens to indicate it has been activated, but when tapping the touch pad on the next button it doesn't darken.  This may cause some to tap to often.

Restarted to finish the install but the boot loader fails.

I had to use the disk to boot the installed system

Got a screen that said Vector Linux was installed and proceeded to set up gui configuration.
New user screen looks good.  Lots of languages, very nice.
Also once signed in I noticed Vector had set up to the full resolution potential of my laptop 1400*1050

Used vliloconf to set up the boot loader and once again got an error.

Lilo detected operating systems are.
Win: Windows (/dev/hda1)
Linux: Linux (/dev/hda2)
Linux-tui: Linux Text mode (/dev/hda2)
Linux-gui: Linux Graphic mode (/dev/hda2)
hda2: Linux hda2 (/dev/hda2)

The only way I was able to complete the vliloconf set up was if I deselected windows.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 12:47:59 am »

Product test VL6.0 Beta 1

Under Settings.
-Appearance Settings does not change the appearance of anything. Not sure what the difference is between it and User Interface Preferences.
-Database access properties does not launch. (Missing libgtksourceview-1.0.so.)

Under Multimedia
hdspconf does not launch.  Missing libfltk.so.1.
Same with hdspmixer.

Under System
GSlapt does not launch (does not launch from appfinder either)
Xfce-taskmanager is in the menu twice. Once as xfce-taskmanager and once just as taskmanager.

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
joec

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 11:00:18 am »

Installed on VmWare Fusion as guest OS --running Leopard on Imac.

Had to use cfdisk to partition. After that I was able to install using the GUI without a hitch. Like it a lot (that is from the perspective of an off the street user with a very modest understanding of Linux). Out of box I was able to stream video from sites that I was completely unable to stream in other distros ( even in Mac OS Leopard).
thecdn

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 12:04:57 pm »

Absolutely love the look and feel of version 6 but two critical issues:

1. Lose internet after rebooting. ifconfig after booting looks like this:

root:# ifconfig
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:1b:2f:34:41:43 
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:7 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:3 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:1742 (1.7 KiB)  TX bytes:1240 (1.2 KiB)
          Interrupt:16 Base address:0xac00

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback 
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)

I'm no expert, but I think that's ok. But I have to run dhcpcd eth0 in order to get the net working.

Second issue, no sound. I have a new sound blaster audigy that I've found works only on about half of the eight distros I have installed. I have set the device to the sound blaster, ca0106, set the primary channel and played with all the settings I can find in volume control, but no luck.

This is the result of lspci:

root:# lspci
00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Memory Controller (rev a1)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 LPC Bridge (rev a2)
00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SMBus (rev a2)
00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP55 USB Controller (rev a1)
00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP55 USB Controller (rev a2)
00:04.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 IDE (rev a1)
00:05.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a2)
00:05.1 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a2)
00:05.2 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a2)
00:06.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI bridge (rev a2)
00:0e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
00:0f.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
01:06.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
01:07.0 Multimedia video controller: Internext Compression Inc iTVC16 (CX23416) MPEG-2 Encoder (rev 01)
01:08.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy LS
01:0b.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB22/A IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
02:00.0 SATA controller: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller (rev 02)
02:00.1 IDE interface: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller (rev 02)
03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G71 [GeForce 7900 GS] (rev a1)

I don't pretend to know what most of this means but know that people want to see it when diagnosing problems  Cheesy

Any thoughts?
uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 12:12:52 pm »

Second issue, no sound. I have a new sound blaster audigy that I've found works only on about half of the eight distros I have installed. I have set the device to the sound blaster, ca0106, set the primary channel and played with all the settings I can find in volume control, but no luck.

Any thoughts?
try running alsaconf as root in a terminal, and then reboot
let us know if result is the same.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 02:30:38 pm »

Did a hosted install last night.  The text based installer has a few improvements/tweaks and still functions well.  I'm surprised there is still no support for jfs partitions. 

The installer correctly detected my Atheros chipset card and seemed to configure it.  vasm/vwifi saw it as wlan0 and allegedly configured it but in fact it remained non-functional.  I believe the ath5k module just plain doesn't work with the Atheros 5212 chipset regardless of distro, at least with a 2.6.26.x or 2.6.25.x kernel.  It would be nice to have a legacy madwifi package offered as an option which blacklists ath5k as part of the install script.

I've had several hangs with gdm.  The first time I booted I selected my session and language.  I wanted to look at the Actions menu and that hung gdm.  Ctrl-Alt-Bksp didn't work.  Nothing short of a reboot would get me out of it.  The next time I booted I looked at the Actions menu and then tried to set my session.  Another lockup.  The third book I set my session and logged in fine.  The fourth boot I changed my language/locale and logged in fine.  It seems that locks only happen when using both the Session and Actions menus, something you normally wouldn't do.

With language/locale set to French/France the menus are, as expected, in French.  However, with firefox-langpack-fr installed Firefox still comes up in English.  Not good.

HAL doesn't work for me.  Inserting a data DVD or plugging in a USB pen drive doesn't pop up a desktop icon, at least in Xfce.  I did a df and nothing was automatically mounted, either.  Using mount at the command line does work.

VasmCC worked for me, including the hardware tab.  I can confirm that gslapt won't launch from the menu.  It does launch from the command line.

Printing:  cups is installed by default but gutenprint, ghostscript, jplip, and foomatic-filters are not.  This will render cups useless for a large number of printers if not most.

In general 6.0 beta with Xfce isn't as fast as 5.9 with Xfce. 

In installed 21 missing font packages from X.org.  It took a total of 18MB of space and did not adversely affect performance on my rather ancient system.  I don't see the logic in excluding these.  Some older apps depend on these fonts.

vxconf still doesn't work with my Toshiba Satellite 1805-S204 laptop.  xorg.conf-fbdev does work.

It's a beta but it still need a lot of work.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
thecdn

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2008, 03:55:35 pm »

try running alsaconf as root in a terminal, and then reboot
let us know if result is the same.

Did that but still no joy. The network connection still doesn't stick between boots but I've found that I can click on the network icon in the bottom right corner and then click 'connect'. Not ideal, but better than having to fire up the terminal and entering the commands manually.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: