VectorLinux
September 20, 2014, 09:41:43 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector 6.0 beta1 feedback and bug reports  (Read 27211 times)
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2008, 07:19:37 pm »

Thank you all!

Install went absolutely fine, except that after reboot the text bit of the installer looked distorted and all over the place (difficult to explain... as if each menu is split in 2 or 3 boxes and they show up in different parts of the screen). This means I couldn't see the installer menus properly.
A few of the previous alphas did this on my computer, but not the latest ones.

By remembering the menus, I reached X configuration, and after that it was sorted.

Chose Portuguese language in GDM: worked properly.
But then chose English (United States) and it seemed to go from gdm to kdm by itsef. Perhaps gdm crashed and it reverts to kdm? Tried to choose "configuration" again, but a message showed up saying I wasn't running gdm!

More to come...
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2008, 08:54:15 pm »

Got the sound working.

Got the Internet connection working.

And now the hammer!

Thanks to the tip of caitlyn I installed gutenprint etc. and was able to configure
my printer with the printer switched on. Put something into the print queue and it would
not print. lpq showed the queue.

Switched the printer off and again on and --the system crashed, showing a blank screen and
rebooted.

Loged-in switched printer on and crash again, this time w/o rebooting meaning the maschine
was switched-off.

End of my testing this version.

My printer and the USB connection works perfectly in slackware-12.1, same cups version et all.
And have to add worked for a long time in VL5.8, different cups version so.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 06:02:29 pm by Pita » Logged
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2008, 12:42:53 am »

HAL Magically started working for me.  I have installed lots of additional software but none of it should have affected HAL.  I have no clue what really changed to make it work.

On my install both AbiWord and Gnumeric work -- no missing GNOME bits after a normal hosted install.

I tried a session in Hebrew.  The Programs menu in Xfce correctly shifted to the right hand corner and everything worked right-to-left as it should.  Yofi!

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
red devil

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2008, 02:55:23 am »

Hi,
I've had problems with the installer. Rather than post a really long report here, I've included a link to an article on my blog at http://reddevil62-techhead.blogspot.com/2008/11/vector-linux-6-beta-and-sticky-gui.html
Hope this is some use to the developers - I AM a big fan of Vector Linux.
wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2008, 03:31:57 am »

Did that but still no joy. The network connection still doesn't stick between boots but I've found that I can click on the network icon in the bottom right corner and then click 'connect'. Not ideal, but better than having to fire up the terminal and entering the commands manually.

I have the same problem in 5.9 when using wicd AND the rc.inet* scripts.
If I change the scripts names, then wicd starts fine, and no need to press connect.

Perhaps the same thing is happening in 6.0?
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2008, 03:54:50 am »

OK First machine
   2x AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5000+
Memory   2005MB (235MB used)
Operating System   5.9 Standard GOLD built on Dec-16-07
User Name   ken (Ken)
Date/Time   Thu 27 Nov 2008 02:15:52 AM MST
Display
Resolution   1280x1024 pixels
OpenGL Renderer   GeForce 6150 LE/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!
X11 Vendor   The X.Org Foundation
Multimedia
Audio Adapter   HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
Audio Adapter   USB-Audio - USB Device 0x46d
Input Devices

Gparted launched with an error
Unknown symbol 'coun' in class 'Pointer0' MdlDiskPart.?0  ( I got this same error on all machines tested.)
Oh, and there is some typo's at the top of the gparted's page.

Installed on existing partitions after that and all went well untill after final configuration.
Then the gui refuses to launch (tries about 3 times) and gives this error message.
"Failed to start the X server (your graphical interface)  It is likely that is is not set up correctly.  Would you like to view the X server output..."
The error given in the x server output is this...
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/TTF, removing from list
Could not init font path element /usr/share/fonts/OTF, removing from list
Fatal server error
could not open default cursor font "cursor'

Machine # 2
-Computer-
Processor      : 2x Genuine Intel(R) CPU           T2400  @ 1.83GHz
Memory      : 3109MB (175MB used)
Operating System      : Vector Linux 6.0 Standard Beta 1 Built on Nov-25-0
Date/Time      : Fri 28 Nov 2008 10:32:46 AM UTC
-Display-
Resolution      : 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer      : GeForce Go 7300/PCI/SSE2
X11 Vendor      : (null)
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter      : HDA-Intel - HDA Intel

Besides the gparted error I mentioned above everything seemed to go just fine.
However, the NVidia that loaded for this machine was not able to render any better resolution than 800x600.
Even after going to NVidia's site and downloading the suggested driver for this model I still could not get better resolution.

Machine #3
-Computer-
Processor      : Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 - M CPU 2.20GHz
Memory      : 493MB (174MB used)
Operating System      : Vector Linux 6.0 Standard Beta 1 Built on Nov-25-0
User Name      : ken (ken)
Date/Time      : Fri 28 Nov 2008 03:29:33 AM UTC
-Display-
Resolution      : 1280x1024 pixels
OpenGL Renderer      : Mesa DRI Intel(R) 852GM/855GM 20061017 x86/MMX/SSE2
X11 Vendor      : (null)
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter      : ICH4 - Intel 82801DB-ICH4

This one went perfectly as far as installing Vector goes.
It was not able to set up a boot for my windows partition, however. This has been mentioned in an earlier post.
It does lock up when booting as gui, I need to use tui and startx to get it to launch. This is true on the toshiba machine as well.
Also wicd does not always appear on the panel. Running wicd-client in the terminal only makes it complain the service is not running. Sometimes re-doing autosetup networking in vasmcc is necessary to make it appear again.

One small thing Generate Report in System Profiler and Benchmark does not work...shuts down and no report, just an empty file.

Really appreciate what you guys are doing.  Would love to see Vector break into the top ten at Distrowatch. I would also like to suggest maybe including the symantic touchpad driver and xorg set-up during install.
Thanks Ken

Vectorlinux screencasts and  tutorials can be found at....
http://www.opensourcebistro.com/blog1
http://www.youtube.com/user/vid4ken?feature=mhee
vincent2
Vectorite

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2008, 05:53:03 am »

Bonjour!

Installed vl6 beta  a few days ago, the interface looks cool....
while X still hang from time2time running savage driver on this Sharp mebius laptop(twisterK IGP + via KN133 based mb+amd athlon xp-m 1500+).....

maybe  AGP modules didn't work properly , here's log:
dmesg | grep agp
Linux agpgart interface v0.103
agpgart: Detected VIA Twister-K/KT133x/KM133 chipset
agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xa0000000
agpgart: Found an AGP 2.0 compliant device at 0000:00:00.0.
agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 0000:00:00.0 into 4x mode
agpgart: Putting AGP V2 device at 0000:01:00.0 into 4x mode
/var/log/Xorg.0.log
(EE) SAVAGE(0): [agp] Could not bind memory
(WW) SAVAGE(0): [agp] AGP failed to initialize -- falling back to PCI mode.
(WW) SAVAGE(0): [agp] Make sure you have the agpgart kernel module loaded.
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x22
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x23
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x24
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x25
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x26
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x27
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x28
(WW) AIGLX: 3D driver claims to not support visual 0x29
thecdn

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2008, 06:54:18 am »

Did that but still no joy. The network connection still doesn't stick between boots but I've found that I can click on the network icon in the bottom right corner and then click 'connect'. Not ideal, but better than having to fire up the terminal and entering the commands manually.

I have the same problem in 5.9 when using wicd AND the rc.inet* scripts.
If I change the scripts names, then wicd starts fine, and no need to press connect.

Perhaps the same thing is happening in 6.0?

Change which script names to what? Although I'm fairly comfortable with linux let's pretend that I know just enough about Vector to be dangerous  Wink

I reenabled my onboard sound card and now can choose between that and the sound blaster in volume control but still can't get any sound.
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2008, 02:17:56 pm »

nstalled on existing partitions after that and all went well untill after final configuration.
Then the gui refuses to launch (tries about 3 times) and gives this error message.
"Failed to start the X server (your graphical interface)  It is likely that is is not set up correctly.  Would you like to view the X server output..."
The error given in the x server output is this...
Fatal server error
could not open default cursor font "cursor'

I found a fix. Though it is rather general, because I do not know exactly what font file or files are the ones that provide the fix.
I copied the entire usr/share/font file from my partition of vl5.9 and used it to replace the one in vl6.0 beta
(This alone fixes the problem and I can launch the x-server normally)
I then copied the usr/share/X11/rgb  text file from vl5.9 and put it into vl6.0 beta as it was missing.

I was then able to boot to the window manager and beyond. 

I have only made this change to the system that has the GeForce 6150 LE/PCI/SSE2/3DNOW!, card.  I will try it on the others as well to see if it fixes any other problems.
I'm hoping it will also help with my resolution problem on the toshiba as it also uses a nvidia card.
Ken

Odd that this fix was only necessary on my systems with the nvidia card.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2008, 01:08:36 am by stretchedthin » Logged

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2008, 07:58:58 pm »

I installed beta 1 today using vinstall-iso from my VL6 a2 partition on my Celeron desktop. The CD drive on this computer is getting flaky and won't boot from a home-burned CD, so I have to use vinstall-iso, which precludes me from testing the GUI installer. Truth be told, I'd rather use the text installer anyway. Also, I boot to Level 2, the text login, and start XFce with startx.

I had no problems with the text installer, as usual, and this time I paid attention to things like typos and inconveniences. Early in the installation is this:
"say 'come on'whenever you are ready too:"
That should be "are ready to" because the following three choices complete the infinitive.

In Bulks Selection I think there should be an explanation that /dev/tlz is essential for compiling packages and should be installed by most users even if they think they'll never compile anything. I would fall in that category, except that over the years I've found that I have had to compile a program occasionally whether I wanted to or not.<g>

In Select Keyboard Layout I couldn't read the whole line for en_US and us_intl, which would make it impossible for me to know which one I wanted if I hadn't already done this many times. In Set Groups I couldn't see the whole line for any group. The right end is cut off. This makes it very difficult to decide what groups a user should belong to. I have the same problem in Add Partition--I can't see the whole name of the partition. The name will say /dev/hda instead of /dev/hda1, /dev/hda2, etc. When I actually am setting up the partition and its mount point, the complete identification is visible, but it's not on the Add Partition screen list. I've had this problem of having lines cut off for several versions and I wonder if anyone sees the whole line. My monitor is a 19" LCD with 1280x1024 resolution.

There is another typo in Set DNS Server where it says "helps to find another hosts by their Internet name." It should be "helps to find other hosts by their Internet name."

All my hardware was correctly identified, but my sound disappeared when I removed the Programs button from the XFce panel. I always ditch that "Start" menu in the Panel because the same menu appears with a right-click on the desktop. But when I removed it, the volume control and speaker icon also disappeared from the panel. Sound did not work after this. I ran the Sound part of VASMCC and got ALSA back along with the speaker icon and volume control and I was able to play an MP3 file with VLC. I'll take note of whether ALSA disappears again.

I installed Gimp-Help, Scribus, OpenOffice 3, and Inkscape from the Vector repos. Scribus complained that Ghostscipt was not installed and is needed for Preview and displaying what a font looks like in the font dialog boxes. I installed GhostScript and that took care of it, but I wonder why it isn't installed by default. I get messages about a bunch of missing Scribus plugins. I haven't had time yet to see if the plugins are there and if not, whether I can download them from the Scribus Web site or copy them over from my other partitions. Inkscape lacks several dependencies. I copied them over from my VL6 a.33 partition because I couldn't find them in the repos. This was the message:
inkscape: error while loading shared libraries: libcairomm-1.0.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Also missing were libMagick++.so.10, libWand.so.10, libMagick.so.10. Once I copied these from my other partition, Inkscape started fine.

Opera was using Flash 9. I haven't had time to check on the Flash version for Firefox and SeaMonkey. There are security problems with Flash 9, so I think VL6 should install Flash 10. I've been using Flash 10 on VL6 a.33 and it has been working including in Opera. On my VL 5.9 Deluxe computer Opera 9.62 can't work with Flash 10. If I need Flash, I use SeaMonkey for that site.

I hope to do more testing tomorrow.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2008, 08:38:59 pm »

Got the sound working.

Got the Internet connection working.

And now the hammer!

Thanks to the tip of caitlyn I installed gutenprint etc. and was able to configure
my printer with the printer switched on. Put something into the print queue and it would
not print. lpq showed the queue.

Switched the printer off and again on and --the system crashed, showing a blank screen and
rebooted.

Loged-in switched printer on and crash again, this time w/o rebooting meaning the maschine
was switched-off.

End of my testing this version.

My printer and the USB connection works perfectly in slackware-12.1, same cups version et all.
And have to add worked for a long time in VL5.8, different cups version so.

Changed my mind and tested again.

Installed another kernel-2.6.27.7 and modules.

Printer now printing, no crashes. In fact all working nicely sofar.
caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2008, 10:26:57 pm »

An old problem reappeared.  I had set my hostname during install (like GrannyGeek, a hosted install with vinstall-iso) but found I had the default name and my machine was called vector.  I changed it again and hopefully it will stay this time.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
stretchedthin
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2008, 12:59:49 am »

My little experiment..

I copied the entire usr/share/font file from my partition of vl5.9 and used it to replace the one in vl6.0 beta
I then copied the usr/share/X11/rgb  text file from vl5.9 and put it into vl6.0 beta as it was missing.

Here is what happened...

1. I was able to boot my HP desktop AMD64x2 GeForce 6150, previously it failed at launching the x-server.
2. I was able to get wicd to auto-connect my internet at every GUI-mode start-up. This never happened before on either my Toshiba laptop or xplio laptop. (wicd still fails when I lauch in tui)
3. My xplio (a pentium 4 2.2ghz with Mesa DRI Intel graphics) was able to boot in gui mode without freezing up like it had been doing before.
4. I was able to get the full 1440x900 resolution my Toshiba w/ GeForce 7300 laptop is capable of.  Again, I was not able to get better than 800x600 resolution before.
5. I am now able to generate reports with System Profiler and Benchmark.

I am admittedly just a hack when it comes to this kind of stuff.  I only got the idea to try it because the error message from my xserver problem with my desktop said...

So I just copied over from 5.9 all the fonts from the /fonts file and since xorg.conf called for usr/share/X11/rgb, I copied that over too.

I still have to test printing and individual programs/panel applets and the like, but I am 100% up and running for the basics on all three machines.

Could another tester confirm that they are also missing /usr/share/fonts/OTF and usr/share/X11/rgb from there burns of the .iso?  I don't want to keep posting my experiences if it was just from a bad burn..even though my md5 checksum was good.

Oh, could that someone, also confirm the /usr/share/fonts/TTF has about 60% of the fonts that the same file in VL5.9 had?
Thanks
Ken

kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2008, 06:46:42 am »

ati drivers failed to install on my box with ATI X550 . log: http://pastebin.com/m2e8e16b2  . I'll investigate a bit more

Apart from this, only the known issues: Alt-f2 still doesn't work.

Theme is cool but I think it's less readable than classic ones.

----------EDIT--------------

usb does not get mounted. Thiis is /var/log/messages log

Code:
Nov 29 16:34:28 vector kernel: usb 1-7: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
Nov 29 16:34:28 vector kernel: usb 1-7: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
Nov 29 16:34:28 vector kernel: scsi9 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
Nov 29 16:34:33 vector kernel: scsi 9:0:0:0: Direct-Access     WD       5000AAC External 1.65 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0
Nov 29 16:34:33 vector kernel: sd 9:0:0:0: [sdb] 976773168 512-byte hardware sectors (500108 MB)
Nov 29 16:34:33 vector kernel: sd 9:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
Nov 29 16:34:33 vector kernel: sd 9:0:0:0: [sdb] 976773168 512-byte hardware sectors (500108 MB)
Nov 29 16:34:33 vector kernel: sd 9:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off
Nov 29 16:34:33 vector kernel:  sdb: sdb1
Nov 29 16:34:33 vector kernel: sd 9:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI disk
Nov 29 16:34:33 vector kernel: sd 9:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg1 type 0
Nov 29 16:34:33 vector vl-hot_mount: Starting vl-hot_mount...
Nov 29 16:34:33 vector vl-hot_mount: Mounting device sdb
Nov 29 16:34:33 vector vl-hot_mount: ALERT: /dev/vl-hot/sdb not mountable (Undetermined filesystem)...
Nov 29 16:34:33 vector vl-hot_mount: Finishing vl-hot_mount...
Nov 29 16:34:33 vector vl-hot_mount: Starting vl-hot_mount...
Nov 29 16:34:33 vector vl-hot_mount: Mounting device sdb1
Nov 29 16:34:33 vector vl-hot_mount: ALERT: /dev/vl-hot/sdb1 not mountable (Undetermined filesystem)...
Nov 29 16:34:33 vector vl-hot_mount: Finishing vl-hot_mount...

/mnt/vl-hot didn't exist and I tried to create it without making any difference

media-refresh nor vl-hot-config menu items don't run Sad

« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 08:10:26 am by kidd » Logged

uelsk8s
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2008, 09:02:37 am »

It looks like in /lib/udev/vl-hot_mount
line 44 should be    if [ ! -z $FSTYPE ] ; then

you also need disktype http://filebin.ca/zjghsf/disktype-9-i586-1vl60.tlz

the old vl-hot-config is still there sbin/vl-hot-config, the new one is called sbin/vl-hot-config.gambas
« Last Edit: November 29, 2008, 09:21:21 am by uelsk8s » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: