VectorLinux
July 28, 2014, 10:12:49 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Vector 6.0 beta1 feedback and bug reports  (Read 26757 times)
pevsner

« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2008, 06:57:02 pm »

Fonts rendered beautifully on Vl5.9.
Not on 6.0 beta 1 (or indeed any of alphas)
I have installed extra/cross copied fonts etc - but still they still look nasty.
It appears as though the hinting in xfce doesn't actually do anything.

Suggesions would be appreciated, or a fix.
Pita
Vectorian

« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2008, 08:00:51 pm »

Installed fluxbox 1.1 since I am familiar with it. No problems.

In /etc/fstab enabled "/dev/sda1 on /mnt/pendrive type vfat (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev,fmask=111,dmask=0,quiet,shortname=mixed)"

mounted /mnt/pendrive and flashdrive is accessible or digital camera accessible with gtkam.

abiword and gnumeric opening flawlessly.

dillo showing black pages and therefore not much of use. I know this will go away once I have my working /home directory mounted.

Alt-F2 gives me a  'Run program' window in fluxbox.
GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2008, 09:37:42 pm »

Could another tester confirm that they are also missing /usr/share/fonts/OTF and usr/share/X11/rgb from there burns of the .iso?  I don't want to keep posting my experiences if it was just from a bad burn..even though my md5 checksum was good.

Oh, could that someone, also confirm the /usr/share/fonts/TTF has about 60% of the fonts that the same file in VL5.9 had?

I have no /usr/share/fonts/OTF or /usr/share/X11/rgb on my VL6 beta 1 installation. I can't compare the number of fonts in /usr/share/fonts/TTF because back when I installed VL 5.9 I moved bunches of fonts from /TTF to another directory I have for fonts I don't use. Some of those may have been installed from the 5.9 ISO.
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2008, 09:40:28 pm »

For you guys looking for fonts, the best way would be to install some from gslapt. Due to lack of space on the ISO, only the fonts needed for the initial gui have been included AFAIK.

Mine still looks good with no additional fonts installed though Wink

GrannyGeek
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2008, 10:09:08 pm »

I got my four printers installed and working. However, this was after I installed foomatic and Ghostscript from the repos with GSlapt and rebooted. I don't understand why there isn't enough on the ISO to enable CUPS to work with non-PostScript printers. I know it'll be fixed in the final release, but why not in the betas?

I wanted to install J-Pilot for my beloved Sony Clie but it wasn't in the repos for VL 6. I downloaded a package from linuxpackages.net and installed it with installpkg. I haven't had a chance to sync yet, but the program does launch. I was missing two or three dependencies. I copied them over from my VL 5.9 partition and that seems to have done the trick.

I installed Flash 10 for Linux, replacing Flash 9 that's installed with the ISO, because Flash 9 has a security problem. Opera is now working with Flash 10, which it doesn't on VL 5.9 and early alphas for VL 6. However, Opera often hangs when I try to download a file. I use SeaMonkey when I want to download a file (or wget).

Alt-F2 doesn't work in XFce. I haven't plugged in a flash drive yet. I didn't have Caitlyn's problem with the computer name changing after a reboot. Keeping my fingers crossed!
--GrannyGeek

Registered Linux User #397786

Happily running VL 7 Gold on  a Sempron LE-1300 desktop (2.3 GHz), 4 G RAM,  GeForce 6150 SE onboard graphics and on an HP Pavilion dv7 i7, 6 gigs, Intel 2nd Generation Integrated Graphics Controller
pevsner

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2008, 07:20:38 am »

For you guys looking for fonts, the best way would be to install some from gslapt. Due to lack of space on the ISO, only the fonts needed for the initial gui have been included AFAIK.

Hi,
I did install additional fonts through gslapt, also copied some fonts from 5.9 including missing rgb file.
Its more a hinting problem really, in 5.9 I can see the hinting change as I change the setting in xfce which is not so in 6.0B.
Also I had to install the latest Nvidia driver after installation, as for some reason 3d accelleration was lacking on the included propietory one. The rendering is ok, but not beautiful as was the case in 5.9.

Amd san diego 4000 64bit,n-force3 board,nvidia geforce 6200
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2008, 03:39:03 pm »

vpackager does not indicate correctly where it saves created packages

Masta
Global Moderator
Vectorian

« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2008, 04:23:10 pm »

Chose Portuguese language in GDM: worked properly.
But then chose English (United States) and it seemed to go from gdm to kdm by itsef. Perhaps gdm crashed and it reverts to kdm? Tried to choose "configuration" again, but a message showed up saying I wasn't running gdm!

By nature, X will look for a manager, first looking for GDM, then if it doesn't find it, it will look for another, KDM, and even then, if it doesn't find that it will look for another ...
(not necessarily in this order).

So in short, yes, it will "default" to another manager if there is one installed.

If I could get you to switch languages again in that order, see if the "crash-and-switch" happens again (that's just my nickname for that Smiley ) And then try other languages, back to US/english, and see if it's just that or all... ty.
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2008, 08:31:45 pm »

vpackager does not indicate correctly where it saves created packages
It *should* be at the same location where you picked the source tarball

wcs
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2008, 12:43:54 am »

If I could get you to switch languages again in that order, see if the "crash-and-switch" happens again (that's just my nickname for that Smiley ) And then try other languages, back to US/english, and see if it's just that or all... ty.

Tried it again and it was handled fine.
But I'll put gdmm through a stress test today and see.

Its more a hinting problem really, in 5.9 I can see the hinting change as I change the setting in xfce which is not so in 6.0B.

Same here: fonts in terminal look awful, with lots of red artifacts. Tried changing aliasing and sub-pixel hinting in xfce settings, but it didn't seem to do much.
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2008, 06:51:55 am »

Tried it again and it was handled fine.
But I'll put gdmm through a stress test today and see.

Same here: fonts in terminal look awful, with lots of red artifacts. Tried changing aliasing and sub-pixel hinting in xfce settings, but it didn't seem to do much.

Try a non vte based terminal to see if you get the same, urxvt is there. I remember something similar happened in 5.9 betas and vte was the culprit.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
pevsner

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2008, 11:46:39 am »

I'd love to switch to 6.0 cause its fast, but the font hinting doesnt seem to work(either changing config files or via xfce) and I do love a great looking font. I have checked through most config files for x11 and xfce and all seems ok. Any ideas?

1400x900 lcd, 96dpi, geforce 6200
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2008, 11:51:21 am »

A couple of bugs more :

kdm session manager has openbox-gnome and openbox-kde, but both fail to start.

I installed ratpoison, and unlike previous VL versions ratpoison.desktop is not already there, so I had to create a ratpoison.desktop file in /usr/share/apps/kdm/sessions . I restarted X but when I click on the session changer button, everything seems to hang.... could anyone confirm this? it's very strange....

-----EDIT-----

I see vl6 is running gdm, but kdm files are there too (confusing) . I created a file in /usr/share/xsessions and everything went fine.  Now the question is:

Why we don't stick with a desktop manager, and make it default for many versions? wm packagers will have to redo all wm only to change the path where they have to place their XYZ.desktop.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 12:00:30 pm by kidd » Logged

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2008, 12:28:39 pm »

The reason for switching to gdm AFAIK is because it supports changing language and locale in the GUI easily, either for a single session or as the system default.  kdm does not.  This functionality is critical to multilingual and international users.  Previously you had to set a whole slew of variables (LANG, LANGUAGE, LINGUAS, LC_ALL) in a couple of different places.

I honestly don't see the point of keeping kdm once the issues with gdm are solved.  xdm is still there as a fall back.  That's what Zenwalk does and this is one place I'd like to see VL follow their lead.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
kidd
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2008, 01:20:15 pm »

Great explanation cait. Now the change kdm->gdm makes sense to me.

If we have xdm as a fallback, I'd vote for removing kdm too.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: