VectorLinux
April 16, 2014, 05:44:27 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: usb mice don't work  (Read 1753 times)
JHAx86

« on: December 02, 2008, 10:12:19 am »

Hello all,

My new usb mouse isn't detected. After a time I tried to change some things in xorg.conf:

Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
InputDevice "USB Mice" "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
  Identifier  "USB Mice"
  Driver      "mouse"
  Option      "Protocol"   "IMPS/2"
  Option      "Device"     "/dev/input/mice"
  Option      "ZAxisMapping"   "4 5"
  Option      "Buttons"        "5"
EndSection

But that didn't work. The mouse red light is off. Please, note that the same mouse worked in the same pc when booting knoppix live cd. Also the same mouse worked with fluxbuntu in this same machine. Vector Linux detects my pendrive but not my usb mouse, why?

Thanks for read.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 11:04:13 am by JHAx86 » Logged
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 10:26:18 am »

Change your Identifier to "Mouse1"

Bigpaws
JHAx86

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 11:02:46 am »

thank you for the answer,

the current xorg.conf file looks like this:

Code:
Section "ServerLayout"
InputDevice "Mouse1" "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
  Identifier  "Mouse1"
  Driver      "mouse"
  Option      "Protocol"   "IMPS/2"
  Option      "Device"     "/dev/input/mice"
  Option      "ZAxisMapping"   "4 5"
  Option      "Buttons"        "5"
EndSection

I wrote Mouse1 in place of USB Mouse, but after restart, the mouse continues unavailable.
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2008, 12:26:50 pm »

I see another problem:

InputDevice "Mouse1" "SendCoreEvents"

This should be:

InputDevice    "Mouse1" "CorePointer"

Give that a shot.

Bigpaws
JHAx86

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 12:55:53 pm »

Thank you again,

I did what you said. I'd read in a web page about use "SendCoreEvents" for usb mouse, but now I replaced that with "CorePointer" and deleted InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer" (My old PS2 mouse). But even after this the mouse is not on.

Searching the web for the answer I found a page that teach how to configure usb mice in slackware.

Edit the following file using vi/vim:

vi /etc/rc.d/rc.modules

At the end of the file add these lines:

/sbin/modprobe usb-uhci
/sbin/modprobe hid
/sbin/modprobe mousedev

Then edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf:
We already know what to put in xorg.conf, is the same you told me. The page is http://www.slackware.cl/index.php?q=node/331. It is in Spanish.

The problem here is that the modules usb-uhci, hid and mousedev don't exists and I was unable to find them in the VL repo nor Slackware repo. modprobe from terminal or edit the file /etc/rc.d/rc.modules both failed.

EDITED:

I switched the mouse and the pendrive order, now with mouse in the first usb port the mouse is detected and the pendrive is not. In Knoppix both are detected no matter the ports order, what's the problem? VL bug or some specific incompatibility with my hardware? My Vector Linux Machine is an old one, PC chips, PII 333 MHz, 192 MB-RAM, 2 usb ports. USB is enabled in BIOS. To use pendrive now i have to unplug the mouse first, access pendrive from terminal using cd, transfer data, then unplug the pendrive and plug again the mouse.

If you know something relevant to this unusual case please tell me.

EDITED AGAIN:

Sorry, my mistake, it is a hardware problem. I tried to boot knoppix again and it could not detect nothing plugged in the second usb port. I can't tell when this starts but this is the actual status of my PC. To avoid be without mouse while using the pendrive I configured to mice to control the same cursor. The old PS2 with "CorePointer" option and "Microsoft" protocol, and the usb one as written in my previous posts. I'm using the usb mouse for near everything, only when connecting the pendrive I quit the usb and continue with the ps2 mouse, once I finish I connect again the usb mouse, all without restarting.

Thank you all for the help.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 02:23:34 pm by JHAx86 » Logged
M0E-lnx
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2008, 01:28:37 pm »

Set your Mouse0 to "AlwaysCore" and your Mouse1 to "SendCoreEvents"

JHAx86

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2008, 01:33:19 pm »

Sorry, you post while I was editing my one above. Please, check the end of my previous post.

Thank you for the answer.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: