VectorLinux
August 20, 2014, 12:11:48 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Distro contents / file lists ?  (Read 1770 times)
Windozer
Vectorite

Have Vector Linux, Will Travel.

« on: November 28, 2008, 04:13:18 pm »

Hi,

I've dug around a bit and haven't found a comprehensive list of what's in each VL distro.  Is there something like a massive spreadsheet, that was put together by a grep | sed ?  It would be cool to have a 2-dim matrix: software/package down the rows, with VL versions across the top as a header column.

I'm using 5.8 soho now (and like it a lot) but am considering upgrading to 5.9 or even play around with the beta.

thanks much for the support!
- Howard in Florida
~~~~~~~~~~~

483,617th Registered Linux Snoozer
overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 05:23:11 pm »

actually there was a said spreadsheet type thingy like that for previous versions but I do not think 5.8 and 9 were made yet...the site has changed but it was for comparitive purpose and on the old web site...sorry not sure if it made it to the new one or not...guess I should have looked first..
cheers

Everything Is Relative
Windozer
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 05:56:11 pm »

Interesting.

You know, Overthere, this kind of thingy is where unix utilities and scripts excel  [no pun intended].  I don't know enough yet about where stuff lives, or I'd try to figure this out. Makes me curious if you all ever have script-writing challenges / exercises / contests?

cheers,
- H

caitlyn
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 06:33:14 pm »

There is a file in the repo called packages.txt that does, in fact, list every package on the iso.  It only covers the Standard version of the distro, not the Light, SOHO, or Live variants.  DistroWatch also track major packages and gives you a side-by-side comparison of the versions from 3.2 through 6.0 Beta.  It isn't comprehensive but it does include all the major packages.  It also does include SOHO.

Personally I found the improvements in 5,9 compared to 5.8 to be huge.  If you want KDE I'd go with 5.9.1 SOHO and then do the upgrade to KDE 3.5.10 from the repo.  6.0 is not ready for prime time just yet and the first beta is what you'd expect for a first beta:  lots of issues.  I think 6.0 will be a great release but it's not there yet.

eMachines EL-1300G desktop, 1.6GHz AMD Athlon 2650e CPU, 4GB RAM, nVidia GeForce 6150 SE video
CentOS 6.5 (will try VL64-7.1 soon)

Toshiba Satellite A135-S4727,  Intel Pentium T2080 / 1.73 GHz, 2GB RAM, Intel GMA 950

HP Mini 110 netbook, 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU, 2GB RAM, Intel 950 video, VL 7.1
bigpaws
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 09:07:58 pm »

And to build on Caitlyns' post after packages.txt you can then
cat /var/log/packages to another file and the use diff, and then sort -u.

After that you could use ls -c 3 for a three column output.

Bigpaws
Windozer
Vectorite

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2008, 12:39:10 pm »

Thanks again Caitlyn and Bigpaws - exactly the info needed. Nice - I didn't know ls had a column option - just another item to put in the linux-is-cool checklist...

Where should we look to understand the differences between SOHO and Standard --- sorry, I really did dig a fair amount but couldn't get the overview ... as in SOHO is "Home and small office" whereas Standard is more comprehensive, and Deluxe even more??

thanks
Howard

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2008, 04:04:49 pm »

The chart actually is on the new site at the bottom of the products page

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/vectorlinux/docs/miscellaneous/version_table_2.html

Everything Is Relative
Windozer
Vectorite

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 08:20:08 pm »

Overthere,

that list is a tad dated, but it does give a glimpse...

Granny Geek just mentioned in another thread where to look.

http://forum.vectorlinux.com/index.php?topic=7840.0

Duh, I've been diving directly into the forums here, totally forgot about the products pages!  Roll Eyes

cheers,
- H
(asleep at the console!)

overthere
Vectorian

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 02:53:22 pm »

oh..well... I tried..?

Everything Is Relative
Windozer
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 07:28:17 pm »

Hey Overthere,

that list is helpful - didn't mean to imply it wasn't ... got me thinking about some factors I forgot!

cheers, and thanks for the prompt replies!
- H

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: