VectorLinux
December 20, 2014, 06:13:47 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why so many .new files?  (Read 1251 times)
kukibl
« on: November 29, 2008, 11:54:05 am »

After certain upgrades I've checked for some .new configuration files with locate, and this is output:

Code:
/sbin/vxconf.new~
/sbin/config-stage1.new~
/usr/share/apps/VLPersonalizer/themes/KDE/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop/IconPositionsQK51fa.new
/usr/share/apps/VLPersonalizer/themes/KDE/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop/IconPositionskqW2hc.new
/usr/share/apps/VLPersonalizer/themes/KDE/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop/IconPositionsrItFma.new
/usr/share/apps/VLPersonalizer/themes/KDE/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop/IconPositionsdm6nNa.new
/usr/share/apps/VLPersonalizer/themes/OSX/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop/IconPositionsQK51fa.new
/usr/share/apps/VLPersonalizer/themes/OSX/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop/IconPositionskqW2hc.new
/usr/share/apps/VLPersonalizer/themes/OSX/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop/IconPositionsrItFma.new
/usr/share/apps/VLPersonalizer/themes/OSX/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop/IconPositionsdm6nNa.new
/usr/share/apps/VLPersonalizer/themes/Plastik/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop/IconPositionsQK51fa.new
/usr/share/apps/VLPersonalizer/themes/Plastik/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop/IconPositionskqW2hc.new
/usr/share/apps/VLPersonalizer/themes/Plastik/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop/IconPositionsrItFma.new
/usr/share/apps/VLPersonalizer/themes/Plastik/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop/IconPositionsdm6nNa.new
/etc/kde/kdm/kdmrc.new
/etc/ssh/ssh_config.new
/etc/ssh/sshd_config.new
/etc/rc.d/rc.udev.new
/etc/rc.d/rc.cups.new
/etc/asound.state.new
/etc/gconf/schemas/desktop_gnome_applications_help_viewer.schemas.new
/etc/gconf/schemas/desktop_gnome_accessibility_keyboard.schemas.new
/etc/gconf/schemas/desktop_gnome_sound.schemas.new
/etc/gconf/schemas/desktop_gnome_peripherals_keyboard.schemas.new
/etc/gconf/schemas/desktop_gnome_file_views.schemas.new
/etc/gconf/schemas/desktop_gnome_lockdown.schemas.new
/etc/gconf/schemas/desktop_gnome_interface.schemas.new
/etc/gconf/schemas/desktop_gnome_applications_terminal.schemas.new
/etc/gconf/schemas/desktop_gnome_applications_window_manager.schemas.new
/etc/gconf/schemas/desktop_gnome_typing_break.schemas.new
/etc/gconf/schemas/desktop_gnome_background.schemas.new
/etc/gconf/schemas/desktop_gnome_applications_browser.schemas.new
/etc/gconf/schemas/desktop_gnome_accessibility_startup.schemas.new
/etc/gconf/schemas/desktop_gnome_peripherals_mouse.schemas.new
/etc/sysconfig/firewall.new
/etc/sysconfig/modules-2.4.new
/etc/sysconfig/modules-2.6.new
/etc/sysconfig/jackd.new
/etc/sysconfig/X11.new
/etc/backupsys.conf.new
/etc/inetd.conf.new
/etc/modprobe.conf.new
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.new
/etc/sane.d/dll.conf.new
/etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc.new
/etc/backupsync.conf.new
/etc/skel/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop/IconPositionsQK51fa.new
/etc/skel/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop/IconPositionskqW2hc.new
/etc/skel/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop/IconPositionsrItFma.new
/etc/skel/.kde/share/apps/kdesktop/IconPositionsdm6nNa.new
/etc/sound/events/gnome-2.soundlist.new
/etc/sound/events/gtk-events-2.soundlist.new

Wow, a lot. Smiley I guess many of them (if not all) were already there after clean install. So why is it like that? Is it a mistake by developers or what? Undecided
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2008, 12:30:46 pm »

Some packages just generates a .new file instead overwriting an existing one, this is to preserve any customizations you could have made to config files.

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
kukibl
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2008, 03:25:51 pm »

Thank you rbistolfi for your answer, but I know that. Smiley The point of my question is - why are there so many .new files after clean install? For example, slapt-getrc is there by default, after first boot. Why aren't those files removed by developers? Huh
rbistolfi
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2008, 07:15:17 pm »

I guess they could be deleted. Some of them have some change between versions, sometimes is in the user the choice of "upgrade" the configuration file or the start up script, I don't think they are an actual problem, but well... that's me Smiley

"There is a concept which corrupts and upsets all others. I refer not to Evil, whose limited realm is that of ethics; I refer to the infinite."
Jorge Luis Borges, Avatars of the Tortoise.

--
Jumalauta!!
kukibl
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2008, 02:58:08 am »

I don't think they are an actual problem, but well... that's me Smiley

I absolutely agree. I was just curious why is it like that. Is there any special reason why developers didn't removed/merged them or similar. Thank you once again!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: