VectorLinux
April 19, 2014, 07:09:28 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: OpenOffice 3.0, Installing Dictionaries and Fonts  (Read 26321 times)
no2thesame
Packager
Vectorite

« on: November 29, 2008, 11:23:21 pm »

OpenOffice.org 3.0, as Gslapt installs it into VL 5.9 Std, has no spellchecking dictionary. Under previous versions, I used File > Wizards > Install new dictionaries > DicOOo.sxw, but this is not an option in OOo 3.0 for either dictionaries or fonts.

OpenOffice Help is, once again, quite unhelpful but the new (and improved) way of installing Dictionaries is to:

1. Visit the Extensions Repository for OpenOffice.org at http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/ and search for the dictionary you want. (There are some other useful extensions as well, see http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/9-must-have-openoffice-extensions/)
2. Download the dictionary you want. It is an .oxt file.
3. In OpenOffice.org: Tools > Extension Manager, then click Add and point it at the downloaded .oxt file to install it.
4. Restart OpenOffice and go to Tools > Options > Language Settings > Language and under Default Languages select the newly installed dictionary.

Because FontOOo.sxw was also unavailable under Wizards, I had to find a new way of installing fonts. This was fairly simple too:
1. In Gslapt install msttcorefonts from the VL 'extra' repo. for the Microsoft TrueType fonts.
2. The only font I now needed was Bitstrean Vera Serif, which I googled and downloaded.
3. After expanding the zip file I copied the two .ttf files to /usr/share/fonts/TTF
3. On restarting OpenOffice.org and AbiWord, Vera Serif and all the new TrueType fonts were on the font selection menu.

I don't know if this is the correct way to install fonts but it seems to have worked.

no2
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 10:36:06 am »

Thanks for the comments.  Nice to know I have company.

It is unbelievable to me that Open Office 3.0 would come without a spell checker.  I tried your suggestions for a while but got tired (and disgusted at Open Office's completely unnecessary complexity).  So I removed 3.0 and reinstalled 2.4.  Which comes with a spell checker.  I also have Star Office 8, which comes with a spell checker. As has every decent word processor released in the last century.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
no2thesame
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2009, 05:20:12 pm »

Hello John,
Thanks for the comments.  Nice to know I have company.
Is that company in finding the Help unhelpful?
It is unbelievable to me that Open Office 3.0 would come without a spell checker.  I tried your suggestions for a while but got tired (and disgusted at Open Office's completely unnecessary complexity).  So I removed 3.0 and reinstalled 2.4.  Which comes with a spell checker.  I also have Star Office 8, which comes with a spell checker. As has every decent word processor released in the last century.

John

The process is not that difficult, only four steps.

Actually the new dictionary install process is much better than 2.4's. And that it comes without a spell checker should be solved on instal with something that takes you to the Addons and gives you one-click installs. But frankly, the blank slate is more international, more democratic and you only install what you need.  (I don't need or want US spelling and neither does most of the world)

However... they could make it easier by having a wizard built-in or even a good section in the help files.

The good news on fonts is that the msttcorefonts Microsoft True Type fonts are now installed in the default VL Std installation. (that would make it less democratic and I install what I don't need... maybe... hehe)

Bruce
sledgehammer
Vectorian

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2009, 07:32:43 pm »

There are other countries?  When did that happen? Got to pay more attention. 

I am obviously having trouble adjusting to America's place in the world, post-Bush. Before he came along, Open Office was "in God we Trust" American.  When we put that guy in office a second time, the world correctly concluded that Americans are not fit to run much of anything.  I doubt Obama or anyone else can now fix it.

John

VL7.0 xfce4 Samsung RF511
no2thesame
Packager
Vectorite

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 12:41:50 am »

Sorry John,
do like my spelling 'right'.

Not really into politics.... have you got a new president?
Kidding... Obama's all the rage here too.

Bruce
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: