OpenOffice.org 3.0, as Gslapt installs it into VL 5.9 Std, has no spellchecking dictionary. Under previous versions, I used File > Wizards > Install new dictionaries > DicOOo.sxw, but this is not an option in OOo 3.0 for either dictionaries or fonts.
OpenOffice Help is, once again, quite unhelpful but the new (and improved) way of installing Dictionaries is to:
1. Visit the Extensions Repository for OpenOffice.org at http://extensions.services.openoffice.org/
and search for the dictionary you want. (There are some other useful extensions as well, see http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/9-must-have-openoffice-extensions/
2. Download the dictionary you want. It is an .oxt file.
3. In OpenOffice.org: Tools > Extension Manager, then click Add and point it at the downloaded .oxt file to install it.
4. Restart OpenOffice and go to Tools > Options > Language Settings > Language and under Default Languages select the newly installed dictionary.
Because FontOOo.sxw was also unavailable under Wizards, I had to find a new way of installing fonts. This was fairly simple too:
1. In Gslapt install msttcorefonts from the VL 'extra' repo. for the Microsoft TrueType fonts.
2. The only font I now needed was Bitstrean Vera Serif, which I googled and downloaded.
3. After expanding the zip file I copied the two .ttf files to /usr/share/fonts/TTF
3. On restarting OpenOffice.org and AbiWord, Vera Serif and all the new TrueType fonts were on the font selection menu.
I don't know if this is the correct way to install fonts but it seems to have worked.