VectorLinux
September 02, 2014, 08:38:25 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Visit our home page for VL info. To search the old message board go to http://vectorlinux.com/forum1. The first VL forum is temporarily offline until we can find a host for it. Thanks for your patience.

Now powered by KnowledgeDex.
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Please support VectorLinux!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: emachine issue?  (Read 2178 times)
tubeguy

« on: November 23, 2008, 08:55:59 am »

Got Vector Std, Xfce installed on an old eMachine T2792, dual booting with WinXP. I used GParted to set disk up after a clean Windows install. Box has 256meg and 2.7gig Celeron. Surprising is that Vector is not as responsive as Windows. Everything works, it just takes longer than I'm used to. Using Rieserfs and have a 1gig swap. Could this be an eMachine mobo issue or just not enough ram? Or is the Celery a dog? By responsive I mean things like typed text appearing a couple seconds after typing it and mouse actions delayed.

I settled on Vector for this box after having installed Fedora 9, Xubuntu and Damn Small, this seemed like a good balance between speed and features. I do have a 1gig ram stick on the way, I need it anyway, 256 is just a joke with Windows.

Thanks for any input,

Joe
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 10:30:00 am »

I have had problems with "typed text appearing a couple seconds after typing it" as well. But at the beginning of typing a document it is about normal speed. after the document gets about half page length, it starts slowing down. I am running VL 5.9.1 SOHO and I believe I have all hardware requirements satisfied but... I just checked and you definitely have all hardware requirements satisfied.

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 04:23:18 pm »

That box should not be slow. What app are you using when typing.. OpenOffice?
tubeguy

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2008, 04:43:18 pm »

I noticed with Gmail while in Seamonkey. I haven't done much with the box since the installation, just played with the browsers, gftp and xmms.
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 06:11:48 pm »

Something is out of the ordinary. I would try some Live CD's and see if there is any pattern to it.
tubeguy

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 07:08:18 pm »

Okee dokee. Will report back! thnx
Daniel
Packager
Vectorian

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 07:36:20 pm »

I was using Kword when I noticed it.

Nightflier: When you mention trying Live CDs, is that to see if it is just a problem with a particular distro? Because apparently, Tubeguy and I both have a similar problem but are running different distros. (5.9 Standard and 5.9.1 SOHO respectively)

The following sentence is true. The previous sentence is false.

VL 6.0 SOHO KDE-Classic on 2.3 Ghz Dual-core AMD with 3 Gigs of RAM
nightflier
Administrator
Vectorian

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 06:07:48 am »

Yes, I did mean try different distros. There are so many possible combinations of hardware and software, LiveCD's are great tools for quick and dirty testing.

Of course, realize that LiveCD's do have many limitations. 256 MB of RAM is not enough for some. It is not fair to compare, say Puppy to Knoppix. Additionally, if there is a problem with the hard drive, it will not become apparent until you permanently install the system.

VL Std. and SOHO share so much of the same underpinnings, chances are that if there is a hardware driver problem, it will be present in both. Other good candidates would be Slax, DSL, Puppy, PCLOS, Mepis.
raymac46

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 05:22:35 pm »

This may be a browser - textbox issue. I remember a similar lagging text problem trying to write Blogger text with Seamonkey on VL5.8. Try Opera with Gmail and see if you still have the problem.
StrayBit
Vectorite

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 07:52:58 pm »

I've noticed this same issue on many occasions - the latest when I was in Gslapt this evening while was logged as user as well as root.  (I didn't track what I was doing in the earlier occasions.)

VL 5.9 Standard  256MB ram
model name      : Pentium III (Coppermine)
stepping        : 10
cpu MHz         : 751.731
cache size      : 256 KB

root:# cat /proc/swaps
Filename                                Type            Size    Used    Priority
/dev/hda1                               partition       488336  2604    -1

Dell GX280: [7.0-Gold-Final], 6.0-Gold-Final, 5.9-Gold
HP 670 Win7 & VL7.0
tubeguy

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 04:20:19 pm »

OK, finally got my memory installed. That did it. Thing just flies now. Might change my screen name to vectorguy.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: